Remembering Rutherford

by Sea Breeze 156 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TikTok_wendirenay
    TikTok_wendirenay

Cult leaders

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I don't see Romans chapter 13 as indicating that God wants the world to be divided into regional governments rather than having a global human government (though the Bible is against an anti-Christ type of world government), but maybe the story of the tower of Babel might lend some support to that idea. The books of Daniel (see Daniel 2:34 - 35, 44 - 45, and 7:21, 27) and Revelation (see Revelation 5:8 - 10, 11:15 - 18 , and 19:6, 19 through 20:10) do however say that God wants the world to eventually have one global theocratic government under the rule of the Messiah/Christ as king.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

The guy was nothing more than a narcissistic drunken ass. He was a problem the wt would much rather choose to forget about.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: In my prior post where I said "7:21, 27" I should have said "7:22, 27".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I am offended by much of what Rutherford wrote in many of his books, including the negative things he said about the theory of evolution regarding whether it is true or not, as stated in the following quote from pages 49 - 60 of his book called Reconciliation (see http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/reconciliation/recon3.html which is the source of the quote below; note that the transcription from that source might have some minor typographical errors).

'A man advances a theory that the moon is made of green cheese. He appears before an intelligent audience and asks that audience to listen to his evidence and argument in support of his theory. The intelligent men and women of the audience look at each other with a smile and say: 'That poor man is probably earnest and sincere in his belief that the moon is made of green cheese, but it is apparent to every reasonable person and from the evidence within the reach of all that the moon is not made of green cheese.

We will therefore not make ourselves foolish by listening to this man. He is a fool, but why should we permit him to make fools of us?'

Another man appears before an intelligent audience. He has the reputation of being a wise man. He looks wise and is wise in his own conceits and speaks with profound gravity. He is a theological professor, a clergyman of renown, and is called a scientist and savant. He requests that audience to hear him present his argument in support of a new theory concerning the origin of man. He briefly outlines his theory as follows: 'That man is a product of the force of evolution; that millions of years ago particles or atoms formed themselves into protoplasm; that by the operation of the forces of nature life began to manifest itself in the lowest form; that after millions of years more this evolution process developed a monkey; that the process continued until there resulted an animal which we call man.' He then offers to produce the proof and argument in support of his evolution theory. The intelligent audience hears him state briefly his theory and then says: 'That man probably is sincere in his belief, and by his method of reasoning he may be able to convince himself that man is the product of evolution; but he could not possibly have any competent evidence in support of his astounding theory. If he so desires he may believe that his ancestors were monkeys, but we will not permit him to make monkeys of us. We will not stultify ourselves nor dignify his foolishness by listening to him. We believe the Bible, and his theory is diametrically opposed to the Bible.'

Why should any one who believes God and believes that the Bible is his Word of Truth waste time listening to or entering into a discussion of a theory of evolution of man? To enter into a discussion as to whether or not the moon made itself from green cheese or is green cheese is foolishness. To engage in an argument as to whether man was created by Jehovah or made himself by evolution or evolved from protoplasm is worse than foolishness. It is an insult to Jehovah God. Would any Christian stultify himself by entering into a discussion as to whether or not every good and perfect thing proceeded from Satan the Devil or from Jehovah God? No one can be a Christian unless he believes that Jehovah is God and that Jesus Christ is God's beloved Son, the Savior of mankind. The very life of a Christian is faith in God and his Word, the Bible. Why then should a Christian enter into an argument of a proposition the very statement of which makes God a liar? The Word of God is plain as to the origin of man. It is in no wise ambiguous. The Word of God is the end of all controversy.

The writer believes that Jehovah is the only true God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and believes that his Word is the truth; he believes that Jesus Christ is God's great Executive Officer in the creation of all things, and that he is the Redeemer of man: he therefore refuses to consider so-called evidence that is offered in support of the theory that man is a creature of evolution.

The theory of evolution of man proceeds from the Devil, regardless of who holds or advocates that theory. The Devil is that wicked one who betrayed the

sacred trust committed to him, rebelled against his Maker, seduced the angels of heaven and brought degradation upon the human race. To seriously enter into a discussion of the question as to whether God made the first man or whether man is the result of the process of evolution would be giving countenance to the Devil and would therefore be displeasing to Jehovah God. Some who are consecrated to the Lord have thought it wise to join issue with the advocates of evolution and seriously discuss the origin of man. They have thought it well to enter into the evidence relating to the lower animals and compare this with other evidence offered by evolutionists and then discuss seriously which is correct, the so-called scientific evidence or the Bible. In this they have erred, according to the Scriptures.

Some who claim to be Christians and to preach the Word of God openly champion the theory of the evolution of man. By so doing such have become the instruments of Satan the Devil. They are being used by Satan to turn the minds of the people away from Jehovah. These dupes of Satan have pushed their evolution theory to the fore in the colleges and universities and even into the public schools. By thus doing they have largely succeeded in destroying the faith of the rising generation in God and his Word. This is another wily move of the Devil to turn the minds of the people away from the great Creator. Satan is that great wicked one who blinds the minds of men lest the truth should shine into their hearts. For a Christian to indulge in a serious discussion of the truth or falsity of such a theory means to give countenance and consideration to the Devil and his

wicked course. A man who has consecrated himself to God and learns of the precious truths disclosed in his Word, and who then turns to evolution and advocates it as an explanation of man's origin, thereby becomes the child of Satan. To encourage such an one in a debate as to whether or not man is a creature of evolution is to commit sin. The prophet of God, who spoke as the representative of Christians, stated: "I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me." — Ps. 39:1.

The duty of the Christian is to teach the truth and not even listen to lies against Jehovah, much less to engage in a discussion as to whether or not they are true. God has appointed and anointed the Christian to proclaim the good news of his plan of redemption to those who are teachable and will hear. He has commissioned such to bind up the broken-hearted and comfort all that mourn and who desire to be comforted. (Isa. 61:1, 2) It would therefore be impossible for the Christian to fulfil that commission unless he believes that God created man perfect and that sorrow, sickness, and death resulted from sin; that God in his loving-kindness has provided redemption for man by the death and resurrection of his beloved Son; and that in God's due time he will restore the obedient ones of mankind to the state of perfection enjoyed by the man whom God created. The Christian is called upon to be a faithful and true witness for God and not to aid, either directly or indirectly, in the promulgation of that which is a repudiation of Jehovah. The theory of the evolution of man not only is evil but is unworthy to have a place in the mind of the child of God even for a moment and should be

repulsed by all who are loyal to God. The proper course of a Christian in matters pertaining to such evil philosophy as evolution is plainly pointed out by the apostle: "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." — Col. 2:8.

Upon this same point the Christian is instructed: "Receive as a friend a man whose faith is weak, but not for the purpose of deciding mere matters of opinion." (Rom. 14:1, Weymouth) Another translator renders this text thus: "Now receive to yourselves the weak in the faith; not, however, for doubtful reasonings." (Rom. 14:1, Diaglott) To the same effect the prophet of God wrote the words that apply to the Christian at this time: "For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes; and I have walked in thy truth. I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers. I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked." — Ps. 26:3-5.

No one can enter into a discussion with an evolutionist concerning the origin of man without violating this scripture. Such disputer against the Word of God is a vain person. He is an evil doer; particularly if he has once been enlightened or professes to be a preacher of God's Word and then advocates evolution, he is wicked. Then the psalmist adds: "I will wash mine hands in innocency: so will I compass thine altar, 0 Lord: that I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works." — Ps. 26: 6, 7.

To the same effect the prophet wrote: "I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love." (Ps. 119:113) And then the same prophet states that which is proper for the meditation and consideration of the Christian: "I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways." — Ps. 119:15.

But it will be asked, Do not most of the clergymen endorse the evolution theory as to man? Are not these clergymen learned men, and for this reason is not the theory they advocate entitled to full consideration? To their shame they do endorse and advocate evolution. If they are learned they are learned in vain philosophy and not in the Word of God. If they were once learned in the Word of God and have since adopted the theory of evolution that of itself is proof that they have become wicked within the meaning of the Scriptures and are therefore instruments of the Devil and the enemies of God. Because of their supposed learning and high reputation amongst men as having wisdom the clergymen have done more than any other class of men to destroy faith in the Bible as the Word of God.

From Eden till now Satan's policy has been to turn the people away from Jehovah. To accomplish his purposes he has resorted to all kinds of vain philosophy and foolish reasoning. In this he has induced men to believe themselves wise. They are ambitious to appear wise before their fellow creatures. God could have prevented Satan from thus influencing men or he could have destroyed him and his false theory. The fact that he has not done so is proof that it is not God's due time to do so. He does state that in due time all the wicked he will destroy. The fact

that God has not prevented the promulgation of this wicked doctrine is a sufficient reason why it is not now the duty of a Christian to enter into the discussion thereof with men about its truth or falsity with the hope or expectation of destroying that wicked doctrine.

Evolution of man is one of the evils the Devil has taught to men; and God has not prevented it, in order that men might have an opportunity to learn by experience the effects of evil. Now is the day for the Christian to declare the message of God's kingdom and to tell the people that in his own due time God will clear the earth of all evil theories and practices. Let no Christian now waste his time and effort by being drawn into a controversy with some of the Devil's agents as to whether or not God is a liar. A Christian is now to sound forth the message of truth to the praise of Jehovah's name. Let the Christian be content with telling the people that the evolution theory concerning man is one of the Devil's lies and to show it as destructive to faith in God and in his Word. The Christian must let it be known that he stands firmly upon the Word of God and that he refuses to enter into a controversy or discussion with any one who denies Jehovah and denies his Word of truth. Before such he is to keep his mouth with a bridle or remain silent.

It was in the days of Enos, who was only one generation removed from Adam, that the Devil organized men into bodies or societies calling themselves by the name of the Lord. (Gen. 4:26, margin) That was the beginning of hypocrisy, because these men called themselves by the name of the Lord in derision of the

great Jehovah. Satan has seen to it that hypocrisy has grown amongst mankind. Doubtless there never was a time when there was so much hypocrisy in the world as at the present day. By far the majority of the clergymen posing as the representatives of Jehovah call themselves preachers of the Word of God, and represent themselves as the only teachers of true religion, and at the same time openly advocate the doctrine of the Devil. The clergyman who stands in his pulpit and represents himself to the people as the servant of God and of Jesus Christ and at the same time advocates the theory of evolution as related to man, is openly teaching Satan's lie and practising that falsehood. Such men have itching ears and a desire to have it said of and concerning them that they are great and wise. Their selfishness, pride and ambition have led them into Satan's trap.

Be it noted that the theory that man is a creature of evolution is a modern theory and advanced by modern clergymen who even call themselves by the name "modernists". Foreknowing that this blight would fall upon Christians God caused his inspired witness to write to Christians thus: "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry." — 2 Tim. 4:3-5.

Nor was there any doubt left as to what is the proper course of the true Christian in this time and what is his proper attitude toward such instruments of evil. 58

It is plainly written concerning them: "From such turn away." A Christian who obeys this command can not indulge in discussion of the theory of evolution concerning man. Bearing upon the same point the inspired apostle further wrote: "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, truce-breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." — 2 Tim. 3:1-5.

These modern savants are drunken with the desire for the approval of men and for power amongst men. Their pride and ambition have caused them to go blind. If they ever had any vision of God's plan they have lost it. They now put forward their own wisdom in opposition to the wisdom of God. Among themselves they say: 'God did not make man but man made himself. We are wiser than the ignorant men who wrote the Bible. We now express our wisdom. Neither man nor God can call in question our wisdom.' The foolishness of these self-conceited wise men has turned millions of minds away from the true God.

Could not God have prevented such evil influence of the Devil and have restrained these men from teaching such falsehoods? To be sure he could; but he has permitted the evil in this, that he has not prevented it, that the human race may learn the proper lessons and in due time learn to appreciate him. God foreknew and foretold the very course these modernists

or evolutionists would take, and therefore he caused his prophet to write these words, which apply at the present time: "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink. For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed. And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid. Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us? Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He hath no understanding?" — Isa. 29: 9-16.

In this prophecy the Lord has foretold that the wisdom of these modernists is of but short duration. The time has come for the name of the Lord Jehovah

to be exalted in the earth. These professed Christians, who in fact are hypocrites, have no vision or understanding of the divine plan. They give honor to the Lord with their lips but their hearts are far removed from him. By their false teachings they cause men to fear in a morbid manner what shall occur and therefore to rush into their organizations. The people, however, are starving for want of true food. Therefore says the Lord, "I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people." The wisdom of these wise men shall perish and their understanding shall be hid. Jehovah therefore is, through his beloved Son Christ Jesus, beginning a wonderful work. He is spreading amongst the people a knowledge of his goodness and his gracious provision for men.

One means of carrying on this wonderful work is this, that the Lord God has brought the radio into operation. Foolish men, wise in their own conceit, do not hesitate to say that the radio is the result of the sagacity and ingenuity of men. That statement is not true. More than thirty centuries ago God foretold the time would come when he would send forth the message as the lightning and that nothing would obstruct it. Those on the earth whom God is making his witnesses to do his wonderful work are not amongst the earthly wise, rich or great, but they are meek and teachable and appreciate the great privilege of doing something in the name of Jehovah. The spreading of the truth is not the result of man's efforts, but the Lord God himself is doing it through his constituted agencies. He is thereby serving notice upon the people in advance of his purpose to establish his great kingdom and completely destroy the Devil's organiza-

tion. This is the day which the Lord hath made, and his people are now rejoicing that the truth is being made known. Since it is the privilege and duty of these to make known the truth, then they would be displeasing to the Lord, violating his Word and thereby committing great wrong to indulge in a comparison of the truth with a detailed statement of the theories of evolution.

But some may say, Do not Christians with propriety discuss the questions of inherent immortality and eternal torment, and are not these devilish doctrines? Would it not be just as unreasonable to discuss them as it is the theory of evolution? The answer is, No; for the reason that the men who advocate these doctrines claim that they are supported by the Bible and therefore concede the Bible as authority. To enter into a discussion of these questions is to determine whether or not the Bible does support them. The Christian tries to prove that the Bible does not support these devilish doctrines. But the modernists who advocate evolution as a theory of the origin of man deny the Bible as authority and base their conclusion upon the wisdom of man. Therefore the very statement of their proposition is an insult to Jehovah and it becomes the duty of the Christian to refuse to consider the man-made evidence offered by so-called scientists.'

The above quote reminds me of the attitude and ideas of the words at 1 Corinthians 1:19 - 20 regarding the apostle Paul's view of worldly wisdom, especially as translated in the 1950 and 1951 editions of the NWT. In that translation the scripture verses say the following.

'For it is written: "I will make the wisdom of the wise men perish, and I will shove the intelligence of the intellectual aside." Where the debater of this system of things? Did not God make the wisdom of the world foolish?" '

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

In page 63 of the same book by Rutherford says in part the following. [Also note that in my prior post I should have mentioned that page 61 was also quoted from.]

"The modernist or evolutionist with assumed self-wisdom says in substance: 'I am a doctor of divinity. Mark my wisdom. I know that man is a result of the evolution process and that he continues to evolve upward.' What is really the motive of such a man? It is to attract attention to his own wisdom. He is extremely selfish and by his haughtiness and arrogance he says: 'There is no Creator of heaven and earth or of man. The things that we see came by blind force and man is a creature of evolution.' The fool is proud of himself and revels in his own greatness and delights to hear his praises sung by others. These so-called wise savants or modernists find pleasure in bestowing flattery upon each other. They stick out their chest, and talk with great gravity and address each other as "Doctor", or with some other title, and frequently speak of each other's greatness and wisdom. Thus the enemy Satan uses them to blind each other and to bring reproach upon the name of the great and loving God. They have created for themselves a reputation amongst men for their wisdom and greatness; and by their influence they turn the minds of the people away from God, the true Benefactor and Friend of mankind."

The WT's extremely negative attitude and largely incorrect ideas about evolution are also expressed in their booklet from 1950 called "EVOLUTION VERSUS THE NEW WORLD" and a transcription of it can be read at http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/booklets/evolution.html . Thankfully their book (from 1967) called Did Man Get Here By Evolution Or By Creation? is much less hostile and has more scientific content about evolution, and their later books and their brochures from 2010 about evolution (including chemical evolution and abiogenesis) are even less hostile.

• menrov
    menrov

Some salute or pay tribute to a flag or some other symbol, others to people who present themselves as guides or leaders. WT leaders have their power from the people who follow them. As with many religious followers, the R&F often are blind to the faults of these leaders. Fear is one element these leaders use to control their members. Promises is another one. Victimhood is yet another element to use to gain sympathy. Using small elements of "truth", blow it up as these elements are "life-saving" complete the suite tools these leaders use to remain in control.
    I think it is most hypocritical to go to court because students do no salute or somehow pay respect to the flag whereas at the same time, the WT organisation expels its members if they do not comply to their own set of rules.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Do technologies exist for all electric power in the USA to be produced solely from renewable energy sources at low cost? What about automobiles needing only a little gasoline or even not needing gasoline at all? Back in the year 1928 Rutherford said YES to both of these questions in his book called Government on pages 17 - 18! Here is a quote from those pages (as transcribed athttp://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/government/gov1.html ). Was he right?

"The United States patent office is open to the public. Its records may be inspected by any citizen. Those records disclose that machines have been invented and patented by the use of which the great power produced by the waves of the ocean could be harnessed and made to produce all the heat, light and power the people might require and that at a very low cost. But these machines have been suppressed and not put in use. What would it mean to the people to have such in operation? It would mean that there would be no further need for men to spend their days and nights deep down under the earth digging coal. It would mean that there would be no coal strikes resulting in the starvation of families while millions of other people suffer for the necessity of fuel. It would mean greater contentment for the people and employment of men on top of the earth tilling the soil that food

might be produced cheaper for the people in general. It would mean, further, that the gigantic corporations that manufacture gas and electricity and rob the people for the use thereof would have to go out of business or else furnish the people fuel, light and power at a reasonable price. It would mean that the army of men who shovel coal to produce the heat to operate the machines of commerce, would find more congenial employment and more peace and happiness in life. It would mean that the women who stand over the cook-stoves would no longer suffer from intense heat while cooking the family meals. The use of these machines to harness the power of the ocean would mean that all the people could have their homes heated and lighted with electricity, and that at a very cheap rate.

Why are not these machines employed to harness the power to produce these things for man? Because the great and selfish corporate interests that own and operate the coal fields and the oil wells and the gas factories and the electric light plants have such a tremendous influence and power that they can suppress them. And the people suffer.

It is well known that there is a patented device whereby automobiles can be cheaply operated with the use of a very small amount of gasoline, and others that can be operated without gasoline. These inventions have been thrown into the ash-heap because the owners and operators of the great oil companies have succeeded in suppressing them that their own selfish interests might be furthered. The people suffer as a result."

Will USA President Joe Biden's administration set in motion that which will eventually bring about Rutherford's 'dream' of 100% clean renewable electricity at low cost to the people of the USA? What about Rutherford's 'dream' of fuel highly efficient automobiles - even automobiles not needing gasoline at all? Hybrid electric cars with high fuel economy are available now, even pure electric powered cars, but they need to be a much higher percentage of all cars produced.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

He seems to me to be the angriest and most ill-tempered of all the WT presidents

Yes he was and probably the most malignantly corrupt leader of the WTS/JWS in his personal venture to take over the WTS as its top leading executive editor.

Power and money into men's hands coupled with their own inherent ignorance can lead them to egregious harm to themselves and the people around them who avowed to be obediently subjective to the them. (JWS)

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I always found it interesting that Rutherford did not participate in the required ministry. His excuse was he was too busy running Watchtower business. Do as I say and not as I do. - Rutherford

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit