Magic

by Rattigan350 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The April 2019 Study edition page 20 has an article on resisting wicked spirits.

It says "magic refers to practices associated with the occult, or the supernatural. It can include curses and the casting or breaking of spells. It does not refer to tricks using quick hand movements, which some people perform merely for entertainment."

Can you believe that people have to be told that the Bible is not against slight of hand magic tricks as if they believe demons are behind that.

Maybe back in the Bible days, people did all that stuff. Who knows. But magic is not real now.

Just another one of those articles that create and foster superstition and fear among the people.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

To be honest I'm surprised they gave any leeway at all.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It says "magic refers to practices associated with the occult, or the supernatural.

Well possibly 2000 years ago but today its a form of entertainment .

The game or this form of entertainment involves the viewer trying to guess how the trick is done.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I wondered that myself about magic. I can remember doing a sleight of hand trick making a card go through a table top. Wow, you'd think I had Satan on my shoulder.

Now the WTS gives some leeway. Sort of like being able to play poker for penny ante stakes now without repercussion.

Here is the WTS dance around from 1993

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101993650#h=1:0-20:20

Most people, however, associate the word “magic” with entertainment. A person might create illusions with his hands (sleight of hand), having in mind that the hand is often quicker than the eye. There may be no Biblical objection to this. However, if there is a pretense of occult magic, would a Christian ever want to give the impression of possessing some supernatural, unexplainable power? Or if others are given the wrong impression by the “magical” performance, would a Christian not want to forgo such entertainment so as not to stumble others? (1 Corinthians 10:29, 31-33) In addition, there is the potential danger of a person’s being tempted to go further, into the deeper magical arts.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

2000 years ago performers werent as honest as Penn and Teller. Magic tricks back then were sometimes called " miracles".

How do you discern between supernatural acts that are good and supernatural acts that are from an evil source? Im sure the man that owned the squeeling pigs thought that making them run off of a cliff was a pretty evil act!!!

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

In addition, there is the potential danger of a person’s being tempted to go further, into the deeper magical arts.

Story of my life. I started pulling rabbits out of hats. Then I started pulling hats out of rabbits. Next thing you know I'm Aleister Crowley.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Belief in magic and the supernatural is absolutely essential If you are to be a member of Jehovah's Witnesses! How else could Big J magic back to life most of the 105 billion people who have ever lived?

Not only are JWs expected to acknowledge the supernatural but also the unnatural and unbelievable. If you can believe whoppers like a mass resurrection, you will believe anything. All religion is hocus pocus.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Didn`t the magic practicing priests in Moses day perform the same magic as Moses ? But then Moses conjured up a bigger snake than the Egyptian priest`s did and gobbled them all up .

You wouldn`t read about it.

Oops sorry we did and its in the Bible. Exodus 7: 8-14

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

t says "magic refers to practices associated with the occult, or the supernatural. It can include curses and the casting or breaking of spells. It does not refer to tricks using quick hand movements, which some people perform merely for entertainment."

This must mean that the GB got caught watching America's Got Talent and had to print something up. Just so the regulars don't gossip about it.

Wait for the "Is it wrong to buy liquor in Great Quantities?" article.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Using an entertaining maths conjuring trick you can make people believe Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 and chose you as his viceroy.

With a bit of further slight of word you can make out he is the planet's invisible ruler and as his viceroy all the kingdoms of the world belong to you.

Just a thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit