Happy happy happy!
Mind Numbing Meetings
Snugglebunny: oh that picture speaks a thousand words to me. I can recal being in that situation many times.
- Sitting on those hard benches during an assembly on a hot humid day
- Constantly sighing as quietly as possible as my eyes continue to roll up because of the manipulative talks
- Lip synching to the KH songs eventually
- Being assigned to clean the restroom after the meeting
- Being assigned to do a "part" in the "ministry school"
- Always trying to start with depressing news or a sad condition during conversations just so the WT "truth / hope" can be injected
- Packing or ordering meals for the assembly
- Monotonous or overly emphatic speakers
Ahhh, good memories
Look at all the empty seats.
Over time you are trained to cut yourself off from yourself - suppress anything you feel, think or want in service to the organization. If you are born-in, you don't even know you've done it and to what extent until you leave (if you ever do).
It is sort of like the illustration of the fish not seeing the water it swims in...or even the experience of a lobster in a pot of water that slowly warms to a boil....the level of control exerted is undetectable if you are convinced it is for a higher good.
And, most people want to be and do good. So that was the motivation for enduring things that were mind-numbing and sucked the life out of us.
To me, it's all about appearances. Empty seats at the kh send this subliminal message those that attend the mind numbing meetings:
"Where is everyone? Don't they know that the END is NEAR?"
So, in an artificial way to increase meeting attendance, combine congregations so as to fill the seats and calm the nerves of the faithful regarding dwindling meeting attendance! Smoke and mirrors works just as good as bible studies and baptisms! Maybe even better!
I remember as a kid going to Yankee Stadium for about a week from morning till late evening then taking subways back to our hotels. How the hell did we do all that?