Alternative Military Service is Now OK

by Sea Breeze 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

But I wonder: how many JW's went to prison during the years that the WT did not allow them to perform community service as an alternative to military service?

Anyone care to take a stab at the numbers?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Hundreds?

Thousands?

Tens of Thousands?

My uncle went to prison on this issue. He died before they allowed community service. Too bad his incarceration was based on a whim from some jackass in a tower in NYC.

• EdLogan
    EdLogan

It's the thing that happens when some men dominate the conscience of others.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Count me in. I got a fine, the judge position that prison was a government expense, the fine was government income.

Does have one up side, no jury duty.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Terry might have some input on this one...but haven't seen him around of late.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The wife and I both have Uncles who were jailed for refusing alternative service or the military.

Both men were quiet introverts who the prison experience and rapes broke. Both were forever felons who suffered financially for a lifetime.

Just another case of "holy spirit" confusion.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I knew some french JWs who were imprisoned for 2 years for refusal. Including one I knew pretty well and used write to in jail

Terry on our board has experienced this.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"Holy spirit confusion".

This is an example of any man made organization getting their 'wires' crossed.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

If I had to guess. I would say..... 12K - 15K in the USA.

Anyone think the number should be lower or higher?

@ Bill Covert

So I guess you are admitting to being a convicted felon over the whole affair. That's big and is truly a loss. Glad you woke up.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

No we haven't heard of Terry lately come to think about it.

I believe he has been one of the longest posters on here going back this forums infancy,,,well before the youtube era in the early age of social media.

Hope he's ok.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit