Alternative Military Service is Now OK

by Sea Breeze 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Thousands in Greece from 1945 to 1995, I ended up doing 3 years in prison for these cretins

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

On this subject of Alternative Military Service.

In case you haven't read Raymond Franz book Crisis of Conscience there was an excellent chapter on this whole thing.

How its affected the lives of thousands of JW men tremendously. Only to have the Borg change its mind later,, with ni explanation or apology.

Ray Franz books. Crisis of Conscience & In Search of Christian Freedom. I suggest you get them. Outstanding reads.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Sorry to hear that Raymond.

Maybe the global number could reach 100K if you are correct that "thousands" were imprisoned in Greece alone from 1945 to 1995.

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Sea Breeze : how many JW's went to prison during the years that the WT did not allow them to perform community service as an alternative to military service?

A distinction should be made between community service and service (like Selective Service) which they considered to be part of the war effort. During war-time that is usually the only alternative offered to conscientious objectors.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

It is my understanding that in the USA conscientious objectors were offered non military service in lieu. Jobs working in civilian hospitals, national parks and other employment that couldn't be considered helpful towards any "war effort". Yet the WT powers-that-be of the time wanted their martyrs. Apparently they also wanted fear within the ranks of young JW men. Recruiting for Bethel was extremely easy when it was seen as a way out of almost certain imprisonment should a draftee follow the WT's secret instructions* on how to handle the draft.

*Terry's story gives the context behind this. Terry was told how to approach the issue by the congregational oversight, but was told that he was not to tell the court that he was following their instructions.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

In my case the Redding Calif. Selectivity Service Board issued me a order to report to the LA CA. Charity Organization, for alternative community service, 1966 I believe. The letter I got back from Bethel was that would be a compromise of christian conscience.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

During the 1960s in the USA a number of draft age JWs joined the Pioneer ranks. This satisfied the Selective Service officials and the Pioneers were granted Clergy status and exempt from the draft. One could also marry, get wife pregnant and get the father with dependent children deferment.

When the US abolished the draft and went to an all volunteer Military, young JW men began to avoid Pioneer service. In fact I remember an elders meeting where the CO said he hoped the government would reimpose the draft, that way there would be incentive for JW young men would join the Pioneer ranks.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

That is correct.

I can't remember the name but there was guy in Redding [done moved away] who did alternative community service at a hospital, got disfellowshiped for it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Good old Russell was not even opposed to Bible Students being in the military...as long as they aimed to miss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit