Lots of empty seats at Jehovah's Witnesses Convention in Tucson, Arizona

by RULES & REGULATIONS 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"we all know that assemblies are an endurance test even for younger healthy people;"

Yup, bum numbing and SO boring ! I remember as Elder had to do an item on the Service Meeting about all we had learned at the Convention, he had to go and visit my sister and borrow the copious notes she used to take, because he couldn't remember a thing !

• St George of England
    St George of England

I watched the streamed US Convention a few weeks ago. Not sure where it was recorded but there were 1,500 - 1,600 depending on the day. Only 4 baptised.

It was torture, over 70 videos. They had missed off the two videos connected with the Saturday afternoon talk which showed a young sister refusing to pick up the phone when her mother called. DF'ed or DA'ed.

George

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    I watched the streamed US Convention a few weeks ago. Not sure where it was recorded but there were 1,500 - 1,600 depending on the day. Only 4 baptised.

It was in an assembly hall in Connecticut, Newburgh I think.

It was curious, attenadnce dwindled as the days went on. Friday, which typically has the lowest attendance, had 1800 or 1900. By Sunday afternoon, less than 1600 were on hand to hear Rubberface McSteroid's last talk.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Long Hair Gal - I think you figured it out! 100 stars to you!!!!

I remember when WTC started using Assembly Halls for Regional Conventions. I thought then that there was a story to be told, so I spoke with some convention planners about the strategy. Here is what I learned:

WTC wanted to utilize the Assembly Halls to the maximum extent possible and avoid paying higher fees for Rental facilities, which more and more they were having to do. Quite a while back, they had to stop charging extra for parking and that took a chunk out of the profit (scandal was documented). Some venues which gave them a price break for showing up on Thursday and cleaning the facility, cut back or stopped allowing it altogether as other rental groups filled the open slots. They just didn't need the JWs anymore, so bargaining became more difficult.

Some city Chambers of Commerce raised the issue that JW conventions were not bringing profitable tourism. Fewer JWs were eating out, were poor tippers when they did, never shopped after convention hours at local retailers, and drove a hard bargain for hotel fees by wanting more and more free comp rooms (that's a whole other story of greed and misuse that has been related on this forum before).

As they started using the Assembly Halls, the WOW! factor of a Regional Convention disappeared almost immediately. Fewer JWs were willing to drive long distance, stay overnight at high cost, drive home late Sunday. This continues today and WTC does not know what to do. Soooooooooo..... VIDEOS!

This Summer has about 70 videos. Some seem to feel that it is a long weekend of binge-watching indoctrination videos. "We could do that at home" seems to be the conclusion many are reaching. And they could.

In the audience, many are playing video games on their phones and devices to pass the time. There are few if any spiritual discussions naming specific spiritual gems that were shared. It is drudgery, other than show-casing selfies of the outfits that some sisters want to display.

Attendance is so low at some Assembly Hall conventions, it makes me wonder if they are even paying for the electrity and maintenance of the building.

Yes - WTC is in a Pickle. Maybe you can name some ways they can avoid becoming relish.

• TD
    TD

Makes you wonder though.

The JW's have a nice, nearly new assembly hall right off of McCartney Road in Casa Grande, about midway between Phoenix and Tucson.

Why not use that? I don't know what the rent on the Tucson Convention Center Arena is, but I'm pretty sure it's not free.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

WTC wanted to utilize the Assembly Halls to the maximum extent possible and avoid paying higher fees for Rental facilities, which more and more they were having to do

There was a time food was provided for a contribution ( sold) and parking contributions and contributions and all and all was financially advantageous. Obviously it became an expense not only because people could no longer afford but also the tax laws.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

TD, used by Spsnish? Or obligation on deals made years in advance. Locally there are 2 assemblies held 100 miles from the assembly hall, but circuit assemblies draw assignments from 3-400 miles.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THOMAS MORE:

Thanks! Just process of elimination thinking.

It’s interesting as you pointed out that JWs aren’t seen by some city Chambers of Commerce as desirable anymore as they don’t bring profitable tourism, don’t eat out much and when they do are notoriously poor tippers and so on.. And this is probably some years back when the economy was better. Now, you can forget it. There are too many ‘needy’ in the religion because of following the religion’s teachings of no college/no careers - plus unprepared Baby Boomers hitting retirement age.👎 All the chickens have come home to roost. Certainly these JWs are not eating out!

I remember the days when I was in of older JWs with affluent lives who went out to eat after a convention and everybody had a feast. Times have changed.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Gas right now in this area is $1.77 per litre and going up again re the so called new carbon tax, so with that in mind, who will be travelling for 4 hours to attend and pay a hotel and food for the privilege of being there to see videos.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

There used to be a saying that JWs come to town with the 10 commandments and a 10 dollar bill, and they don’t break either one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit