Do You Ever Say Prayers At Mealtime Anymore?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I notice that I seldom do. What about you?

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

HELL NO.

Seeing as in how I am responsible for either hunting or buying the food, and cooking and preparing the food, I thank myself and that is it.

• undercover
    undercover

As Bart Simpson said(prayed) so eloquently:

"Dear God, we paid for this food, so thanks for nothing."

• Matty
    Matty

It depends. If I'm asked to pray at mealtimes for the family I will, when I'm on my own or in "worldly" company I don't. It feels strange praying to a God I no longer believe exists.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

It depends on who cooked the meal !

• freedom96
    freedom96

Rarely.

• undercover
    undercover

Maybe the question should be, "Should one make a show of praying before a meal?" as in a restaurant or other communal situation. Family prayer at the dinner table is one thing, but to sit in a restaurant and make a ritual of prayer before eating is another. Why can't you pray silently without head bowed? It comes off as a bit pretentious or self-righteous to partake in this praying ritual in front of a bunch of other people who didn't follow that same ritual.

Why do you need to bow your head or close your eyes or hold hands to pray anyway? I avoided eating meals in public with one JW family because the elder father would always stand and pray for the whole table in the restaurant. I just wanted to slide on down under the table and slip out the door while everybody's eyes were closed.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Always...If I handed you something I would expect thanks. Yes you worked for the food or grew it etc" But Thank God who created it- gives you life that you CAN work. If you dont believe in a creator... Well keep thanking your selves.
    If you come to my house to eat- weather you believe or not- I say thanks out loud if you dont like it -then I suggest folks dont come back.... But even the atheists return.....So I guess they think let the "old brod" do her thing for which I am grateful.....

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Hey, is that Jourles flipping burgers? :)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

We pray at meals about 99.9% of the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit