Today's W.T when it mentioned Depression and Anxiety

by Isambard Crater 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

Our Co-ordinator put his hand up and commented saying that people who go on about how depressed or anxious they are just need to stop giving in to impulses and show more self control without letting their emotions rule their lives.

If anyone from the Media, a Government agency or some other public body heard a comment like that, they'd have a hard time exercising self control over the rubbish this elder spouted, which my friends and family with genuine depression found insulting.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    This is echoing Scientology.
  • Saename
    Saename

I have depression and anxiety. It has nothing to do with self-control. I'm not sure what else I can say... His comment is just utterly stupid. It's best to ignore that, although if I personally witnessed that, I would probably come up to him after the meeting just to say... something :)

• freddo
    freddo

He would have done well to "exercise self-control" in his answering and show some patience towards the depressed.

1st Thess. 5 v 14 (2013 rnwt)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    people who go on about how depressed or anxious they just need to stop giving in to impulses and show more self-control

Wow. Comforting words for those in need of comfort.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Unbelievable. What an idiot. Imagine anyone sitting in that hall that suffers from anxiety/depression. Well, let's hope he suffers from it one day! That makes me so angry.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

First Jehovah takes away your personal control then he blames you for not using it.

• steve2
    steve2

A not one single other elder in that congregation spoke out against his ignorance. And these men have such enormous power and control over the flock.

• Splash
    Splash

That elders comment is like telling someone with a cold to stop having a cold, or telling someone with a broken arm that they shouldn't let their arm be broken.

And I bet he was very proud of his assertive and insightful comment.

My old congregation had dolt elders like this guy. They are not uncommon.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It reminds me of an Elder who gave a comment about abuse survivors.

He said that we would not want to even "mention those things among you", as the scriptures say, because they aren't encouraging "as the day draws near."

He struck me as a real "panty raider", if you catch my drift...

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit