''Faith in Action'' video....Jesus Disciples depicted with ''field service bags'' and preaching with ''Scrolls''

by RULES & REGULATIONS 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Here is a screenshot from a video on JW.ORG. Go to Videos, Our Organization, History

Jehovah's Witnesses—Faith in Action, Part 1: Out of Darkness

This is how the Watchtower Society depicts the early disciples of Jesus! They are shown distributing 'literature' (House -to- house, just like the modern day Jehovah's Witnesses) with their field service bags! But get this...in the form of rolled up scrolls!!!

The Watchtower forgot to include this scripture in this video. Jesus said in :

Luke 10:7

"And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. DO NOT GO HOUSE TO HOUSE."

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

You mean to tell me that is not a photograph? I thought they went back in time with a brownie box

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes, it's amazing how much JWs read the Bible and never realize this. Jesus clearly told his disciples to go preach publicly town to town, in the square. The "house" was only ever for lodging. Still they HAVE to insist on twisting it to fit the door to door ministry, otherwise they'd lose one of their key proofs that only they have the truth.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

What gave me the pip in those videos is the portrayal of all males discussing & writing Russell's work. No portrayal of Maria Russell who did much of the writing. Then Russell listening to another theology written by a woman, yet portrayed as male, a second Adventist sermon which restored his faith (Splane was keen to say Russell wasn't an Atheist....he just lost his faith!!) He didn't believe a loving God really existed because the cruel God of the Bible had less morals than a good man.

That door to door portrayal of the apostles, complete with bookbags, was ridiculous!

And they always make Rutherford the victim of brutal thugs following his "peaceful" sermons....never that he was a rabble rouser who brought much of the aggro on himself (or rather his JW patsy's)

• Funky
    Funky

Sometimes, an image is just so, so, so over the top in its absurdity, it crosses the line to become almost charming.

The image of Jesus' 1st century disciples walking about with "service bags", carrying scrolls from door to door, is one of those. Just so delightfully anachronistic.

Another one is how the Watchtower keeps referring to the apostles Peter, Andrew, etc. having a "fishing business". As if there were so many career options for Galilean peasants in the first century.

"So, Andrew, what do you think? Maybe we should get into middle management? Maybe we could start a small consulting business. I know someone who has started selling mutual funds, but maybe REITs would be a better option. Wait - I've got it! We'll start a commercial fishing enterprise!"

"Peter, that's brilliant! I'll get started on the paperwork to initiate us as an LLC."

Oh, does anyone remember the drama from several years back - one of the last "live action" convention dramas before "video killed the arm-waving star". It was about the 1st century Christians getting ready to flee Jerusalem. One of the scenes was (I $#!+ you not) a "congregation secretary" sitting at a table compiling a "field service report" and remarking about the "increased activity of the congregation" recently. Just so...so...bonkers.

• BelisemDeBelimakom
    BelisemDeBelimakom

And also Jesus pictured going door to door

Source: https://wol.jw.Borg/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102016088

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

If the door to door ministry was so vital and core to Jesus' teachings, certainly, there would be a field service success story in the bible, would there not? Or for the very least, how they were persecuted for going door to door.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Then of course they twist acts 15 that there was a governing body because the account goes like this: 8 self appointed men told the rest of the congregation, apostles and disciples to get out while they made their decision behind closed doors about circumcision and blood!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Funky

I remember a wife worrying that the congregation records would be lost. Like a group can't know who is who and who is a good person.

One illustration had straps so long you would trip on the bag. Maybe there should gave been a stick and leather strap cart with wheels like the serious elders use

• BelisemDeBelimakom
    BelisemDeBelimakom

They try to despise Jesus whenever they can... nowadays, more and more overtly. It would be normal now if we see Jesus doing "cart witnessing" back then, and nobody will ever question it like this door-to-door picture of him. Logic has left the building long time ago.

They can't stand to use/mention Jesus' name in a sentence him alone, giving him the glory... no, but always together with the name "Jehovah". An example was found in last week's WT "study" article: "Jesus is directing the preaching work from heaven, using the power and authority Jehovah has given him".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit