JW's that tried to Blackball my Hubby in work , since D/A

by LyinEyes 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• obiwan
    obiwan

You know things are getting bad when"wordly" people sit down at dinner and discuss jw hypocrisy.

• outnfree
    outnfree

This is great, Dede! I'm so glad for you and Wild Turkey!

There was a sister I knew who once had a brother lay linoleum in her kitchen and down the steps to the landing. She called me up livid about the crummy job he'd done. I was shocked! But, when I went to see it, I noticed the steps were done without any regard to how the pattern matched and/or was centered. It was a crummy job, but she felt constrained from taking him to small claims court, of course.

Another time, two sisters planned to go on a cruise together. One fronted the other the money for the down payment on the cabin. Then the other sister wanted to cancel, which meant, of course, a single supplement to pay which was no fault of the first sister's. It had to go before the elders before the second sister was made to pay up. But the elders were annoyed that the wronged sister also wanted the single supplement. She wound up settling for 1/2 the deposit back and took her child on the cruise. (Oh! and the elders did a "special needs" on making sure to write all business dealings down on paper even with 'the friends'.)

And then there's the sister who worked for a brother and saw all kinds of cheap and shady business dealings going on. It upset her so much that she left his employ.

ALL of this AMAZED me because I was thinking Witnesses should support one another just like Catholics and Protestants support the advertisers in their church bulletins. I was quickly dissuaded from such an idea by an elder who told me, we're not like those worldly religions! LOL Riiiiiiiight!

outnfree

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I would never hire a JW to do work unless I had excellent references from 'worldly' people!

One brother who was a close friend was an excellent carpet and linoleum layer. He did beautiful work. But he would have whether he was a JW or not, I think. He was (is) just a good person.

However, the PO in our hall painted our car, and did the absolute crappiest paint job I have ever seen. We had hit a deer and had to put a new front end of a different (way different) color on. He didn't even sand it before! Paint was flaking off in a couple of days. What made it worse, was we had waited and saved to afford to do it, and it looked just as bad afterward! And, of course, we couldn't afford to take it anywhere to get it done right. It seriously looked like someone had taken a can of rustoleum to it without even washing it. I was hearsick. One small bit of consolation, however, was that everybody in that hall and the halls we visited saw how awful it was, and we told them who did it. We didn't have to come right out and "trash" 'our brother, the PO," but we did tell them who did it and let them draw their own conclusions (most were horrified).

Seems like they have either high morals and strong work ethic (a small minority) or no morals and no work ethic (the majority).

• gcc2k
    gcc2k
    Anyone out there, take heed of everyone's advice. DON'T LET WITNESSES DO WORK FOR YOU!

How fair would that be? You're going to prejudge every member of this religion and affect their income? On what grounds, that they think they are serving God?

All the anecdotal stories about personalities, swindles and shoddy work have nothing to do with religion.
    As Asleif said:

One brother who was a close friend was an excellent carpet and linoleum layer. He did beautiful work. But he would have whether he was a JW or not, I think. He was (is) just a good person.

One's religion has no bearing on the quality of his work. If anything, I think Witnesses tend to be especially conscious of the quality of their work, knowing that it reflects on Jehovah. Yes, I know plenty of JW hacks who call themselves contractors, but I also know of 50-60 hispanic immigrants taking jobs daily they are not qualified for.

Let's not prejudge everyone, OK? Or have all the Christian qualities gone out the door with the New World Translation? :)

• wednesday
    wednesday

gcc2k,

u are mistken. The reason u are mistaken is b/c JWS often get work , references etc just on the basis they are jws. The fact they are jws is supposed to make them better then worldy people. But u yourself said a good worker would be good regardless of his religion. I have had unfortune experiences with JWS and prefer to work with "worldly" people who know they cannot expect a 'free ride" based on their religious connection.

weds

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

One's religion has no bearing on the quality of his work. If anything, I think Witnesses tend to be especially conscious of the quality of their work, knowing that it reflects on Jehovah.

I'm sorry, you are confusing what JWs claim to be true with the actual facts.

Weds is right. The majority of JWs count on their "JW status" to help them get and keep jobs, rather than their work performance. In my experience, except for that one brother (and my farm-boy husband who was born with a work ethic), far too many JWs do shoddy work to not view their hiring with skepticism. Plus how well known they are for not leaving their personal religious views out of their work relationships.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Dear gcc2k; I appreciate your feelings of fair play. But this is not a level playing field. The J-duds make all sorts of claims based on their status as duds. But many have a underlining belief that all this is temporary and of no lasting value or significants. And that most of the people they are dealing with are gonna die! This does have an impact on their work ethic. They claim the preaching work is their vocation and work work is their avocation. They do not have the same ethics as worldlings do by the creed of their Masters. My Dad, a non dud, is retired but I get him to work his magic for my clients now and again. They always tell me the same thing after they have had us both work for them. "We see where you get your work ethics and professionalism, your Dad." I was before being a dud, and am now the same kind of worker, the Duds did none of it. I have always been appalled at the work ethic of most duds. And again, the higher the rank the lazier they have proved to be. Maverick

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Dede and Denny, I am so glad things are working out for you now. You had it so rough. I am glad that those who have tried to blackball are getting their just desserts. And that people get to learn that JWs are not as good as the religion claims to be.

Everyone, as for the issue of JW's workethics, my experience is that Witnesses are no better or no worse than non-Witnesses. Mine you, I have never hired Witnesses simply because they were Witnesses. Following the WT advice, I hired them based purely on business reasons.

The JWs I have worked with have always been dedicated and hard-working, including myself. I have always worked long hours and was known for top-notch work and for being a hard worker.

Two other JWs that I worked with did top-notch work; one was the resident expert and no one matched his quality. It was funny, because he personally was a total slob, but his work area and his work was completely clean, spotless and perfect in every detail.

One soon-to-be JW (and now a JW) was fired for being slow or something. I know he was guilty of talking too much, but alot of what happened was because his boss was not a nice person.

I was not in the habit of hiring JWs simply because they were JWs. I have only hired a few Witnesses.

One was simply a minor payment issue; but the brother did good work at a cheap price...he saved me hundreds of dollars.

The other was a brother who blatantly lied about when our bathroom would be renovated. He told us three days (or was it a week?? can't remember), knowing full well it would take him three weeks. But he did a beautiful job. He transformed a crappy bathroom into a showcase lavatory.

Oh, yeah there was one sister whom I hired based only on the fact that she was a sister who needed an income. She was lousy, and was soon not in my employ.

Anytime I have been blatantly ripped off, it was by non-Witnesses.

Richard

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

gcc2k wrote:

All the anecdotal stories about personalities, swindles and shoddy work have nothing to do with religion.

How true. The problem lies in that if you are a witness, and hire or sell to a witness you have NO RIGHTS. If you are ripped off the elders very seldom will listen to the problem, and the society forbids lawsuits against fellow witnesses.

So, in all fairness, I do not agree that witnesses are any worse than anyone else when it comes to work quality. Outside the org, the playing field is leveled by the ability to file suit. Witnesses are allowed no such avenues when they do business with other witnesses.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Excellent points, Pistoff. Food for thought.

Richard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit