Paranormal Experiences

by mattnoel 108 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

FD:

No, I wouldn't conclude anything. I would assume that they don't exist, pending further evidence. I would not have wated my time believing in things that could not be tested.

So show me proof that love exists. Do you believe in love?

Sirona

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So show me proof that love exists.

OK, first define love please.

• Sirona
    Sirona
    OK, first define love please.

Define "Supernatural"

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Define "Supernatural"

From dictionary.com, take your pick:

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
    2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
    3. Of or relating to a deity.
    4. Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
    5. Of or relating to the miraculous.

1. Sirona
      Sirona

Okaayyy

1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates> b : an assurance of love <give her my love>
      2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>
      3 a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first love> b (1) : a beloved person : DARLING -- often used as a term of endearment (2) British -- used as an informal term of address
      4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God
      5 : a god or personification of love
      6 : an amorous episode : LOVE AFFAIR
      7 : the sexual embrace : COPULATION
      8 : a score of zero (as in tennis)
      9 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD
      - at love : holding one's opponent scoreless in tennis
      - in love : inspired by affection
    2. funkyderek
      funkyderek

Apart from the ones referring to gods, which definitions would you have a problem proving the existence of?

3. Sirona
      Sirona

Ok

(3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests

Sirona

4. peacefulpete
      peacefulpete

There is a million dollar reward offered by the Amazing Randi (a paranormal debunker) for anyone who can prove a supernatural contact! Noone in 5 years has attempted to claim the money.

5. funkyderek
      funkyderek
      (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests

How is that hard to prove? I see it all the time. I'm sure you do too. There's probably not a human being alive who doesn't feel it, and see it in the people around them. It's been observed under laboratory conditions. What's the problem with that?

6. Sirona
      Sirona

Feeling affection is a totally subjective experience. There is no proof that other people "feel" an emotion at all.

Love might not exist at all - emotions are about chemical reactions, right? So they're just chemical reactions, they're not us "loving" someone. People might just act so called "lovingly" because of conditioning or guilt or to fit in socially.

Show me love measured. You are so keen on having measurements of things and being able to see things. When someone does something that is seemingly out of love, that is an action, it is not love itself, therefore love may not actually exist. We cannot see it, we cannot measure it, we cannot quantify it. It disappears just at the wrong moment when we're trying to tap into it.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit