Paranormal Experiences

by mattnoel 108 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I have an "invisible friend" whose symbol is the peacock feather. We talk frequently (not out loud).

One night I went to visit a woman I'd been thinking of dating. My invisible friend asked, "Can I watch?"

"If you do," I said, "you have to be absolutely quiet and stay out of the way."

Well, as we were talking and snuggling on her couch, she looked at a vase across the room. "How did all my peacock feathers get turned to the wall?" she said. (She lives alone and has no pets, so there is nothing that could have disturbed the feathers in that way.) I took it as a pledge of my invisible friend's good behavior. GentlyFeral

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I'm going to sulk... nothing interesting and inexplicable EVER happens to me.

What have I got, spirit lurgees?

I know some people have stuff that happens to them, and I've had a 'thing' too (past-life flashback). However, I know as amazingly intense and precise my 15" in the 8th Century was, I can't exclude it being purely imagination so it IS explicable.

1/ All events indicating external supernatural entities are anecdotal

2/ All events indicating internal supernatural abilities are anecdotal

3/ Given that, there are things that can be hard to explain unless one assumes they are all lying or have incorporated a fantasy into their memory as a real event.

4/ Either 'powers' are not that great and controllable, or having 'powers' aligns you with the 'good side of the force'. Otherwise we'd have some bad-ass supercrims using 'powers'.

5/ Unless they are REALLY powerful and that's why we don't think they exist.

I guess my stance is very similar to the god thing;

"Lovely idea, but the fact you can't prove it seems to indicate it either doesn't exist the way we think it does, or that if it does, it's not that important; if it existed or was important it would not be an issue where 'belief' was required as there would be 'evidence'."

Sirona; does the 90% of these experiences that are "probably exaggeration or hallucination" apply to you too? If you're going to be impirical you have to be consistant, or you're not being impirical!. You seem to have developed some methodolgy for determining any possible external reality to these experiences, but isn; that a bit like an ice-skater awarding themselves points?

Sentinel;

I never doubt when someone says they "see or hear" things,

In that case you are too trusting. There are many people with dellusions in this world, and if you apply no filter to seperate the possibly credible from the plainly whacky, you will include pure fantasy in your belief structure.

or when unexplainable events occur.

For every inexplicable event I'll bet there are a dozen that are only inexplicable because the right mundane non-supernatural explaination hasn't been found.

We live within certain dimensions, and we sometimes catch a glimpse of another. Likewise, those beings or energy forces, existing in their dimension, come through to ours. There is so much energy associated with the life force and that energy continues on and on.

This incorporates some of the latest ideas in physics (multiple dimensions) which makes it sound very credible. However "catch a glimpse of another", "those beings or energy forces, existing in their dimension, come through to ours" and "There is so much energy associated with the life force and that energy continues on and on" are pure supposition, grafted onto a pseudo-scientific structure. It might be like that, but you've not a shred of proof, have you?

When a human being dies, the soul can linger around before departing into it's next experience. Usually the soul seeks the comfort of the familiar "human" and wants to be there; but many times I believe the "stranded soul" lingers outside and stays instead in familiar places, buildings, objects, etc. Eventually, that energy is transferred, otherwise the soul does not complete it's mission towards perfection. Perhaps there is some truth in a "stranded soul" needing a guide (of sorts) to get them back on track.

Again, supposition, a veritable smorgasboard of different beliefs blended into a pleasing whole. I prefer Teryy Pratchetts idea that DEATH is a skeleton with a sythe, and what happens to you in the after-life is what you expect. There is as much evidence for Terry Pratchett's fictional DIscworld multiverse as there is for the afterlife.

And, yes, there is also always the opposite of the light, the good, and that is the dark side. We should always try to work toward good in our life, so that the dark and the bad that resides there, will not find a place to dwell in or around us. Good and evil exist side by side, but one who choses good, will progressly move forward. If lessons are not learned, we are doomed to live them again and again. Souls are not perfect and they can become damaged along the way. In their journey towards total perfection they can become infected with desires that are opposite those designed by the universal creators. Damaged souls infect the humans they dwell in. I believe there is such a thing as an evil soul, possibly damaged beyond redemption. This is the sinning soul that will eventually die an everlasting death. Humans are the objects which the souls live and travel in; they have a genuiene love for their host. Striving to live in tune with one's soul is something that we should work towards, as we will have good benefits.

But for those infested with a totally evil soul, they are beyond saving. These are hateful humans that will never fit into society. They think and behave differently, and have no conscience.

And this is where problems begin really. Start investing too much belief in something you cannot prove, and the next minute people are tacking entire belief structures to it - look at the wording used;

• evil soul
    • damaged beyond redemption
    • one who choses good, will progressly move forward
    • journey towards total perfection
    • infested with a totally evil soul, they are beyond saving

.... publish it bi-weekly, bingo; cult!

Obviously you can believe what the hell you like, but how do you really feel about moving from the JW's belief structure to one that retains the non-provable elements of their (or come to think of it) any other belief structure?

• Robdar
    Robdar

When I first moved to Kansas City, the house that I shared with another gal had what can only be described as a poltergeist. It would turn on or off the lights and tv. Once, while sitting with my boyfriend, the vase of flowers on the coffee table moved on its own accord. My boyfriend and I looked at each other and ran out of the room. The poltergeist would also slam down toilet seats and leave perfect circles of water in the middle of the floor.

That thing did not like me. Once, while doing dishes, I glanced over and saw it coming up the stairs from the downstairs entertainment room. It was black and about 4 feet tall. It was always active between 10pm and 2 am on a nightly basis. We had a clock hanging on the wall that had run down batteries. We were both too lazy to climb up there and change them. Every night, when the poltergeist became active, the clock would start ticking.

There were some nights when you would hear/see the thing buzzing around the house knocking things over as it went.

I had, up to that time, never considered such a thing possible. Didn't believe in it and laughed at those who did. I no longer laugh. That thing made a believer out of me.

Robyn

• Sirona
    Sirona

Abaddon

Sirona; does the 90% of these experiences that are "probably exaggeration or hallucination" apply to you too?

YES! Hence just recently when I saw a little boy in my bedroom I put that down to possibly being hallucination - since I'd just woken up. A pretty wierd hallucination, but it could have been just my mind playing tricks.

If you're going to be impirical you have to be consistant, or you're not being impirical!. You seem to have developed some methodolgy for determining any possible external reality to these experiences, but isn; that a bit like an ice-skater awarding themselves points?

No. I admit that many so called "paranormal" things have a scientific explanation, but I think there has to be some way we consider each experience and whether there are factors which make it unexplainable other than saying it was something "paranormal". Consider Robyn's story, how else could she explain it?

Sirona

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    This happened to me with my sister. We both believed that as children we'd had a nightmare of a dark, red eyed man standing in our bedroom doorway. 20 years later we told each other and realised we'd not had a nightmare since BOTH of us saw it but just didn't tell anyone!)
    Once, while doing dishes, I glanced over and saw it coming up the stairs from the downstairs entertainment room. It was black and about 4 feet tall.

Sirona and Robyn your stories are creeping me out. I've never experiences anything like this, but it still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

• greven
    greven

***Whistling the tune of The Twilight Zone***

Greven

• SYN
    SYN

di·men·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d
    n.

1. A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.
    2. Extent or magnitude; scope. Often used in the plural: a problem of alarming dimensions.
    3. Aspect; element: “He's a good newsman, and he has that extra dimension” (William S. Paley).
    4. Mathematics.
      1. The least number of independent coordinates required to specify uniquely the points in a space.
      2. The range of such a coordinate.
    5. Physics. A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time.

6. tr.v. di·men·sioned, di·men·sion·ing, di·men·sions
      1. To cut or shape to specified dimensions.
      2. To mark with specified dimensions
  • funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Don't get me wrong, I'd say 90% of so called ghosty experiences are probably exaggeration or hallucination, but there are some where it did happen and only the person experiencing it can really say

I've never been able to understand, why when it comes to the unexplained 10% people choose the supernatural option (that explains nothing)instead of the one that explains 90% of cases. Doesn't it make more sense to reason that the unexplained is not necessarily unexplainable and assume (pending further proof) that the 10% of cases that haven't been definitively explained, do in fact have the same type of explanation as the 90% that have been?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    What have I got, spirit lurgees?

LOL.

I also have never experienced anything supernatural, although friends of mine claim to, as well as my parents. Still many of those circumstances fit the profile of Sleep Paralysis, soooo.......

ash

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Sheila and I were at the IHOP a few months ago after going to the movies. During our meal, the syrup bottle slid accross the table in front of us. We were both sitting on the same side of the booth and no one else was around. We had been talking earlier in our date about my grandfather. He died in 1993.

Once while Sheila was working in our neighbor's flower beds, an old gentleman drove up to the front of our yard. She noticed his tuck approaching. He turned his truck around and called to Sheila and told her that she had beautiful flower gardens. When she turned to respond he was gone. She should have been able to see his truck for over a block and a halff .We had recently been looking at pictures of my grandparents.

When Sheila was very sick, I woke up in the middle of the night and saw my grandfather standing at the foot of the bed. He told me I needed to be careful or I would lose my "Rose". My grandmother's name was Rose. I figured he was refering to my Sheila. I found her a different doctor and she got better quickyl. Her doctor was mixing medications that were causing adverse side effects.

I think my grandfather is still with me to this day.

I would never try to debunk something just because I couldn't explain it.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit