Joel Osteen's Church is a Cult too ??

by ShirleyW 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

When I first left the cult I did a quick google search about this guy out of curiosity and came across a hilariously ironic article (I think written by some baptist organization) and basically every criticism made it sound less like a cult, because he preaches things that contradict a lot of the bible's more culty passages. He's a motivational speaker, so all the sowing self-doubt (the heart is wicked, who can know it) and exclusivity (one-and-only path to god stuff) gets left out.

Now that doesn't mean his church isn't a cult, but it's at least got different methods from most christian cults. Also, him not opening his church to refugees doesn't mean he's a cult, either...it just shows that he's in it for the money, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

jws opened their doors for those coming across brooklyn bridge on 9/11...just sayin

• LV101
    LV101

tijkmo - really?!! Heard they locked the doors but I don't know the facts! That would truly be a first for WT!

• LV101
    LV101

tijkmo - I do recall reading on some board they were offering water or handing water bottles out or something like that but I also read they closed the doors down at certain point. Kinda like the ark, I guess. I'm sure someone will be able to pull up the links here or there.

• undercover
    undercover

I saw the photos of the streets around the arena, and yea, looks good comparatively speaking. But these arenas have levels below the street. It is possible that the lower levels below street level were flooded, making it dangerous to bring people into the building.

And then I heard later that they were going to open it. I don't know the actual facts, but I do know this -

Whether he opens his mega-church to the needy or not, doesn't matter - he's still a charlatan and a crook.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

With all the religions in the world or in the US...so called Christians...there should be nobody that needs or want....There are more Christians/and other religions, that there should be no homeless and in times of need there are enough religious folks to help...

One thing about religious people they won't help nobody unless they get recognized...

Most of us talk a good game until we have to apply the scriptures....The good Samaritan, take care of widows and children and so on...we read it and can quote scriptures...but put our money where our mouths are....

Most pastors, reverends are actors and have the gift of GAB....Most of them fail the success test...they forget the flock and only care about the $$$ and the attendance and how wonderful they are....

Wonder if there are any real preachers out there that don't want nothing and just want to preach....

Can't trust religious folks...but thank goodness most of them are in churches, mosque, etc...just think how bad they would be if they wasn't there..

Tor

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    VV101 ยป [Osteen's] church is very involved helping others with no membership requirements unlike the Mormons and JWs.

Not to toot our own horn, but the LDS (Mormon) church has no missionary requirements, and it's often on-site in stricken areas before the federal government. Key humanitarian initiatives include not only disaster relief, but clean water, vision treatment, wheelchair provision, neonatal resuscitation, immunizations, family enrichment programs and family food production. In 2008, LDS Humanitarian Services provided aid to 3.3 million people in 122 countries. We not only collect monetary contributions in addition to what the church gives, we sign people (Mormons and non-Mormons) up for labor, medical, plumbing personnel on-site.

Osteen, by the way, though his dad was a preacher, engages in what is referred to as the prosperity gospel. It's based on the idea that when you are happy, God is happy. People donate wildly to the cause, but it's definitely not centered in Christ. As far as I know, he's never taken a stand against anyone.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/us/joel-osteen-backlash-church.html

The leader of a Houston-based megachurch said Tuesday that it would open its doors to victims of Hurricane Harvey, after its initial statements about the storm met with strong criticism online.
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

WT closed their doors at a certain point, kinda like the ark!

Today i read about St. Paul's Chapel in Manhattan, where the doors were open for everyone 24 hours a day after 9/11, for several months. NOT like the arkvaark.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Whether he opens his mega-church to the needy or not, doesn't matter - he's still a charlatan and a crook.

So true, so true. Makes want to Google just how long the saying "religion is a snare and racket" has been around. However, I still say the Dubs are the absolute worse at helping folks if they're not a member of the cult, even if they are, many have written here how faithful old timers are in a nursing home and have yet to receive visitors from the KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit