Would a loving creator give humans the gift of free will?

by Heisenberg 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    Fisherman: Which God are you referring to and what evidence do you have that that God is any more true than other Gods?
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    My life experience tells me there's no one there.

POI mine does and believe me I have suffered more than most. When people tell me that God has not given them any evidence to base their faith upon, I am dumbfounded. God gives solid evidence to people to experience so they can put their mind at ease and have hope -at least that is what I have personally experienced and I am not any more special than anyone.

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

We've also been told that God gave us free will so that we would worship him because we choose to do so... not because we are forced to do it.

I've heard this more times than I can count. My response to that assertion now is, "If there was no professed hope of eternal life in a panda petting paradise, and mankind was just going to grow old, die, and rot into nothingness for eternity, would YOU still do exactly what you are doing now? Or would you live and enjoy your life now instead of hoping to live it later and just existing now?"

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    God gives solid evidence to people to experience so they can put their mind at ease and have hope -at least that is what I have personally experienced and I am not any more special than anyone.

That's great! Can you be more specific about the nature of that evidence?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

We have "free will" to obey our governments laws - or not - and they are generally for everyone's benefit.

Doing otherwise (in many situations) causes pain, suffering, or death to fellow citizens - such as driving while drunk or using firearms against innocent people. People select for themselves which laws they will abide by, and which ones they will flaunt. How would our cities look if no one deliberately broke laws?

The scriptural "law of the Christ" for Christians doesn't strike me as being restrictive or depriving me of anything. It's just a pity that more people don't do to others what they'd like done to them.

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the LORD. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people." (Jeremiah 31:33 - NIV)

An earth filled with law-abiding people wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?

How we exercise our free will defines exactly who we are, and silently testifies to our love and respect for others.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    POI, I cannot bear even to think about such things -let alone watch a video! God will have to provide reasons one day

fisherman, if you don't mind me saying you need to get your hands away from your eyes and take a long hard look at reality. There are millions of people who not only have to think about violence and evil, they have to live with it every day. Men women and children.

There are thousands of people and many organisations trying to lessen suffering and get people out of terrible war zones, stinking prisons and torture chambers. It's no good hiding and waiting for God. Get up and help. Be part of the solution.

• prologos
    prologos

HB. If you could stop them from ever dying even though some of their freedom would be restricted, would you do it?

That is exactly what parents Human & animal do. The will to live means that you know your boundaries.Free will does not mean you can sidestep the heisenberg uncertainty principle.

• cofty
    cofty

Does the god of theism have free will?

If he is omniscient then he knows precisely everything he will do moment by moment for all eternity. Therefore he is not free to do otherwise.

The concept of an omniscient personal god is a logical impossibility.

I am not convinced free will exists.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Fisherman:

"When people tell me that God has not given them any evidence to base their faith upon, I am dumbfounded. God gives solid evidence to people to experience"

WOW! Hey everyone! Fisherman has found the evidence for God. The very thing we`ve all (even us atheists) been looking for most of our lives!

So now Mr Fisherman. You gonna share that tidbit of info with us? Or you gonna be unloving to us, your fellow humans? SERIOUS QUESTION MR FISHERMAN!

• Heaven
    Heaven
    I like to think I have free will... but then my stomach gets empty and I realize I don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit