The Accounts Report or lack of one

by OnTheWayOut 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am pretty sure it's still the same since I stopped attending almost 10 years ago, but this is something to think about:

At the Kingdom Hall, there's an accounts report. They say they gathered in an exact amount of money for both local expenses and worldwide work and that it exactly went to these exact expenses and this amount was sent to Watchtower. Watchtower will acknowledge exact amounts in a letter. At all times, members can know what the finances are. A member can look on the information board for some of that information. An audit is done every 3 months (I believe) where some elder double checks the accounts servant. Money is always collected by two people (to keep them honest).

At the circuit level, the members hear these numbers, but it's a skewed report. They summarize "expenses" as just that- no idea where that money went. They announce a "deficit at this time" no matter what, before the program is over so that people will put more into the boxes. But the members do hear what the status of the funds were for the circuit before this assembly and know how much money was supposedly needed by Watchtower to put on this assembly. Granted, elders hear more of the details of gathered money and expenses. But even they don't know how Watchtower calculates the "per publisher" cost for assemblies, because it's not a true cost but rather an invented number to maximize profits and ensure that they can report the "deficit at this time." They have a vote on what to do with the surplus that they know will exist, and even though they don't stray from marching orders on what to do with it, they are aware of what that amount was and that it left the building. The elder who figures out how much money was taken in has someone double check his numbers.

So that's bad enough. But at least the numbers are said, and as difficult as it may be to figure out, a person COULD see where the money is coming and going if he took notes and compared them from one circuit assembly to the next.

But at the District Convention (now Regional Convention), the members never ever hear how much money was gathered and where it went. There is not even a skewed misleading report. We are told absolutely nothing. I am sure the bean counters have people behind them double checking, so someone knows how much came in. When those sisters bring their boxes into the accounting room, there's plenty of double checking and security. We can be sure all the boxes and all their contents get into that room. But other than the counters who combine the totals and people from "the branch," nobody is told how much was gathered and how it will be spent nor the cost of using the stadium or auditorium- not the members and not the elders. There isn't even an invented "per publisher" cost for the facility, and the actual cost for renting a place could easily be shared, but NO! There is no accounts report.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I worked in the accounting department at the district conventions for years (now regional assemblies). We would be in the back rooms and the contribution boxes would come into a room, be emptied in front of several brothers and the sisters with the boxes and put into money bags and brought into the counting room where we had sisters at long tables with different jobs. Some sisters would unfold and straighten the bills (this all includes change too), the next sisters would organize them by denomination (basically counting) and the final sisters would do the final count (final count for sisters that is). Then a couple brothers would recount and they would mark down the amounts by the number of bills (like 10-$100 bills; 45-$20 bills; 20-$10 bills, etc). At the end we would have the money wrapped with the paper wrappers which had the amount printed on it from the bank (I think anyone can get those wrappers; for instance I think each packet of $20s was $400). Checks were handled by a small group of sisters separately from the cash and marked down as well. From there a report was made to the convention overseer and his cronies and they kept a running total of expenses versus contributions. Don't even ask me how much we would take in over a 3 or 4 day convention because I've tried to remember and I just can't.

That's how I remember it being done but that was years ago. Is it the same or similar now?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The WTS finances and lack of credibility is taking its toll on "loyal" members and their donations. My mother and several of her elderly friends discuss (in a whisper) the outrageous costs of the Cir Assm and the sell off of the Brooklyn real estate, that they felt was Holy Ground declaring Jehovah's name across the NYC skyline.

Now they know of the child abuse lawsuits and settlements/judgements. They've stopped their contributions.

WT better wake up. The youngsters are not really going to give their ice cream money to make up the difference.

Doc

• Freeandclear
    Freeandclear

I have been to many many assemblies over my years when I was a J dub and yes, at every single circuit assembly I always remember them saying there was a "deficit" in contributions. Every single time.

The last few times I went, last year in fact, I remember thinking how odd that was and also noticing how much they talked about money and "giving freely" now. In the past, back in the 90's and 2000's I don't really remember them harping on about it that much, but now it's very different.

Also back then in the 90's and such after they said "there's a deficit" I can remember right at the break people would be lining up almost to put in more donations in the boxes, like there would actually be lines. The last circuit assembly I went to (it was a 1 day thing, not even sure if they call them CA anymore?) there were no lines. In fact I rarely saw anyone putting any money in. I didn't either.

Funny how Jehovah was always supposed to support the work right? I never thought about or saw this side of the bOrg before and it's quite eye opening.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Listener, that is valuable info. They are careful and guarded. What I am wondering about is the total amount for such events and who know that. Even you don't remember, which suggests to me that you probably were not officially supposed to know.

D.O.C., they are putting themselves into a corner as far as money goes. They squeeze the main contributors so much that the contributors stop giving. Even if they do give more in one place, say at the Circuit Assembly, then they give less at the other places- the Kingdom Hall and the Regional Convention. Glad to hear of ones you know who are figuring it out.

Freeandclear, it seems that Watchtower doesn't even trust Jehovah to make sure it works out.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yeah I know it's quite disturbing when loyal ones who have donated for years learn of the lawsuits and the child abuse cover-ups.

• xelder
    xelder
    In Bakersfield, Ca for a district convention, we took in $80,000.00 for a 3 day event. About 5000 in attendance. In addition, parking tickets were sometimes sold to publishers ahead of time in the congregations at about 5.00 per car for all three days parking pass. The facility was free, city donated its use to attract JW conventions to the city. They were happy to see the hotels and restaurants be busy.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Beth Sarim, you probably mean it's disturbing to them. Thanks.

xelder, thanks. That seems low. Even $20 a head would be $100000. Even a long time ago, Bakersfield should have been hauling in more. Maybe it was the free aspect that changed things. And they had the old parking scam- charge them ahead of time to park in a free lot.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

So the parking was actually free but the Watchtower was charging the brothers and sisters a fee to use it?

That's such a blatant scam! Jesus words: "You received free, give free" obviously don't seem to mean a thing to the Watchtower.

DK

• Landy
    Landy
    xelder, thanks. That seems low. Even $20 a head would be $100000. Even a long time ago, Bakersfield should have been hauling in more. Maybe it was the free aspect that changed things. And they had the old parking scam- charge them ahead of time to park in a free lot.

They don't normally contribute per head though - they will normally contribute per family unit.

I know I certainly never contributed as a teenager :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit