Evolution and Atheism - please help

by Fernando 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The relationship between evolution and atheism is critical thinking.

Good point Anders

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

One is the explanation for the diverse speciation we see on our planet.

The other is a lack of a belief in a God.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thank you to all you kind folk for your inputs.

The picture is getting clearer.

I particularly like Finkelstein's concise summary.

For those whose insights into evolution led them to atheism, I would like to learn more about the stepping stones on the journey.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Today atheists are evolutionists but evolutionists are not necessarily atheists.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Fernando (Q ) What is the relationship between evolution and atheism?

Fernando. I would like to learn more about the stepping stones on the journey.

Well like you Fernando I don't have the capacity for a P.H.D in either subject, but I think :

a) They are both theories not facts.

b) They have both came about by information trading.

And with the Internet we can investigate such questions despite not having the capacity for getting a P.H.D . However the danger is our ability in knowledge sourcing as this can be challenging,

Anyway with the Internet religion can no longer force me to believe in the Almighty, because I can now get out of bed, and do my own research. And doing this I am no longer intolerant to the idea of Evolution, but I won't believe every theory because the scientists say they are right. That would be narrow minded and make me a traitor to the FREEWILL I now have, having left the Watchtower.

Most importantly it's fun learning about such topics, particularly on this board. I also think it worth mentioning if Genesis didn't happen, there was no origional sin, and in my opinion no Jesus, and therefore evolution destroys Christian theology, However I must confess I still find some of the theories connected with evolution absurd, but in conclusion I think Iam on the path of discovery.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    a) They are both theories not facts.

Evolution is a fact.

Atheism is not a theory. It is a lack of belief in gods

• cofty
    cofty
    For those whose insights into evolution led them to atheism, I would like to learn more about the stepping stones on the journey.

1 - Evolution destroys the evidence for god from design in nature

2 - Natural evil refutes the claims of christian theism

3 - The bible advocates ethics that are repugnant to intelligent people

4 - Jesus worshipped and adored the evil god of the OT

5 - Jesus' prophecies failed

6 - The bible is full of errors and contradictions

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty: " Evolution is a fact"

The Rebel. Possibly, but personally for me it's a theory as I am still researching.

Cofty " Atheism is not a theory. It's a lack of belief in gods"

The Rebel. Noted.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty" The bible is full of errors and contradictions"

The Rebel (A) I accept that the bible is full of errors and contradictions, I accept that the God of the old testement is Inzane. Isn't that how we learn, by reading words, because we think words are important?

But can we presume that by reading words we will understand the secrets of life?

Can we accept that truth is in books?

That to read the correct book is to find truth?

The world is full of science books that contradict past science, yet they all attempted to explain the world around us and like the bible we're considerd truth at the time of writing.

So whilst I accept that the bible is full of contradictions:-

A) isn't it a bit presumptuous to think the current books we read today on science contain absolute truth?

B) Surely we would we be better to approach such books thinking they contain only current reccomendations of truth?

The Rebel.

p.s an added thought ( C) can words ever contain truth?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Evolution is a fact that can be accepted by both theists and atheists. Many theists find evolution confronting because it does not align with their interpretation of ancient religious texts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit