Evolution and Atheism - please help

by Fernando 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

It is pretentiousness in the extreme. It is making a virtue out of being a pedant.

All language is imperfect - so fucking what?

Why is that worth more than a passing observation? It is a statement of the bleeding obvious. It makes not an iota of difference to my life or to anybody else's.

Do philosophers get paid to indulge in this sort of mental masturbation? Useless absolutely useless.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, those darn philosophers! They should all rot in hell!

Especially Socrates. I mean, Socratic Method? Give me a break! As if, philosophy has ever made any valid contributions to the world, and especially to science. Puh-leez!

* cough, cough Scientific Method cough, cough *

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    There are philosophers and philosophers Tal'. Foucault and Socrates are philosophers but it's like saying Liebfraumilch and Champagne are both wine.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Why is that worth more than a passing observation? It is a statement of the bleeding obvious. It makes not an iota of difference to my life or to anybody else's.
    Do philosophers get paid to indulge in this sort of mental masturbation? Useless absolutely useless.

Once again, isn't there an irony in calling pragmatism useless from a positivist perspective? Shouldn't you care whether something is "true" rather than whether it is "useful". Doesn't your view of the world involve a commitment to the idea that we must accept as true facts about the world even if they are inconvenient or appear useless?

Plus the point about pragmatism is that it avoids dogmatism, which is very "useful" indeed. Not so useful from the perspective of those who wish to use science to dogmatically insist on certain positions. But useful to those who hold unpopular ideas that may yet have their day, since nothing is ruled out. Pragmatism involves a commitment to democracy and freedom whereas positivism breeds totalitarian modes of thinking and behaving.

• cofty
    cofty
    Pragmatism involves a commitment to democracy

Don't confuse veracity with popularity.

Reality doesn't care.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Don't confuse veracity with popularity.

I'll try not to, unless it's useful.

Reality doesn't care.

Have you been hearing voices? Sounds mystical to attribute lack of caring to the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit