Evolution and Atheism - please help

by Fernando 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven
    Evolution debunks a lot of religious claims, eg. that the Earth and/or mankind are only about 6,000 years old.
  • flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Understanding evolution increased my awe of God.

I'm aware some people will mock that, but the more I read the clearer the answers to other questions became.

The marvel of the laws that have been put in place to guide the evolutionary process, and the results we observe, are way more impressive to consider than a creator just molding finished products from other matter IMO.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"the laws that have been put in place to guide the evolutionary process".

Proof ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Evolution helps to define ancient manuscripts as referential evidence of being fictional mythological expressions, as well other sciences such as geology, astrophysics etc.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why is it there hasn't been any new gods envisioned or created by humanity in the last 1000 years or more ?

• Half banana
    Half banana

The relationship of evolution and atheism can best be seen in the historical context.

When Darwin launched his Origin of the Species in 1859, it caused a shock wave in British and American society because it contradicted the Biblical account of divine creation. The stability and governance of both cultures were predicated on the rightness to rule by divine mandate (superior authorities) as the good book said. The Bible was believed to be inerrant; Darwin gave very good reason to believe otherwise.

If the Bible was wrong then the right to power was not divine. Shock horror! The forces of delinquency would be unleashed and the world order destabilized. Those allying themselves with the scientific theorem of Darwin would be castigated as atheists, a perjorative term with political and anti-religious overtones rather than a simple description of a person who does not recognize a god.

As already mentioned the reality has been that many who acknowledge the scientific soundness of evolution are not necessarily atheists but the reverse; to believe in creation and not in a god is an impossibility.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Once I realised that the two pairs of chromosomes less that we have from apes got that way because they we're fused together by a mutation not design, the next step ones atheism.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: What is the relationship between evolution and atheism?

A.: They are both words found in a dictionary of the English language.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

The next statement will probably start a war :-D

The relationship between evolution and atheism is critical thinking.

While I fully agree with everyone stating that

1. accepting the fact of evolution does not mean you automatically reject the existence of God/gods
    2. believing in God/gods does not mean you must reject evolution

it is my opinion that the ability to critically think about whatever is presented to you and whatever you already believe to be true, and willingness to learn and investigate leads to (amongst other things)

1. acceptance of evolution given the huge amount of evidence that supports it
    2. seeing that the existence of God/gods is not supported by any (objectively verifiable) evidence, and (almost) anything proposed as evidence is either circular reasoning, or can be explained by natural phenomena, and that evidence proves your own God's existence just as much as any other gods' existences.

Does that mean that I think everyone who believes in any god can't or doesn't think critically? No, absolutely not.

I think they may have a blind spot regarding that belief, or they choose not to apply pure logical thinking to that area of life, like all of us do many times with different areas of our life (such as love, that is not really governed by critical thinking).

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Fernando - please go to Wikipedia :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit