Abandoned literature carts, maybe the end of them?

by sp74bb 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Hecce: It is possible that the two persons at the end of the sign are the publishers, they have been instructed to stand away from the carts; not to scare away the interested people with their presence

TheWonderofYou: Why should a nice smiling person scare somebody? Thats absolut stupid thinking.

Maybe not so stupid at all. As Hecce said, it's their 'presence,' not their 'faces,' that would scare people off. People could be scared away by someone's presence in the sense that they don't want to be engaged in conversation about religion or they don't want to have to hear a pitch by someone looking to make converts, not because the 'smiling faces' are frightening in themselves.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What a freakin' waste of time.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I was in different state to where I live recently and there were two carts seemingly "abandoned" at the entrance to the largest mall in the city. I approached to see what would happen. I stood there picking up bits of paper reading bits and pieces of literature and putting it down again, the old couple who had parked themselves under a tree (I can always spot the dubs by their 1980/90s fashion sense a mile off) quite a way off just sat there watching me. I lingered longer testing how long it would take for one of them to get up and give a shit, after about 5 minutes the woman stood up very slowly and just stood there watching me some more and I placed the mags back and walked off she seemed relieved and sat back down.

I clocked it - 6min.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Re: Witnessing in Public Places

February 26, 2017

Page 2

4. Site Permission and Insurance Coverage: In some public locations, permission may be needed from a manager or secular authority before setting up a literature display. The service overseer or someone else designated by the body of elders should determine what may be legally required, if anything, in the way of permissions, permits, and insurance coverage. Any application to use a mobile cart or to set up a table or kiosk to display literature must be filled out in the name of an individual publisher, not in the name of the congregation, any corporation used by the organization, or “Jehovah’s Witnesses.” If a small administrative fee is needed in order to acquire space in a public area, it is to be paid by the individual publisher, not the congregation. Publishers should carefully review any such applications to see what responsibility they are taking upon themselves with respect to liability and possible proof of insurance coverage. Publishers who apply to distribute literature at these areas are doing so on their own initiative as part of their personal ministry.

5. At times, administrators or managers have waived insurance requirements when the voluntary and non-commercial nature of our Bible educational work was explained to them. Any meeting that is held with a location’s manager should be informal, such as one between neighbors in a community, and not a discussion of legal rights. If this meeting is unsuccessful or an excessive fee is required, the body of elders should identify other public areas within their congregation’s territory where public witnessing equipment could be used effectively

• hoser
    hoser

I've seen them on Vancouver island. There were 2 Jws close by though.

• Hecce
    Hecce

There was a letter from 2014 instructing to be away from the cart, a most recent letter just says not to approach people and engage only when they approach you; maybe that is the reason why the sisters are keeping their distance.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It's really interesting how they push the insurance and liability on an individual publisher when you are required to obtain all the elements, including the instructions and sales items, through the parent corporations and the congregation keeps the carts on their property.

I'm pretty sure there will be judges or a properly defended dub that will see through that smokescreen. Most insurance and permitting of this nature doesn't go by who uses but by who owns that cart.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

How are you supposed to "approach them " if you cannot find them? The only carts I've come across they stand so far away from the carts you wouldn't know who to approach.

As an ex jw I can peg them by their dress but the general public would have trouble playing spot the witness or "where's wally witness" in a crowd of shoppers.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    As an ex jw I can peg them by their dress but the general public would have trouble playing spot the witness or "where's wally witness" in a crowd of shoppers.
    Exactly sparrowdown, we know we can spot them in the crowd,but others, God forbid someone is actually interested, cannot
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Nah! The dubs are told to stand aside...perhaps they are under that canopy keeping a watchful eye but not crowding the cart. It is thought more likely people will stop.

Trust me, if you showed interest they would swoop like hawks. The elders supervise the cart work closely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit