Real Prophecy vs. Watchtower Prophecies

by Perry 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry
    While we had our eyes fixated on our "one-time" idol the Watchtower and their false prophecies like the generation of 1914 that wouldn't pass away, 1975 etc.; A number of real prophecies were unfolding. We just weren't taught to look for them.
    First, it is good to get an idea of what Israel (then called Palestine) looked like prior to the 20th century. Mark Twain provides a vivid biopic snapshot :

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 4.34.03 PM
    Excerpts from The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain, 1867:

Of all the lands there are for dismal scenery, I think Palestine must be the prince. The hills are barren, they are dull of color, they are unpicturesque in shape. The valleys are unsightly deserts fringed with a feeble vegetation that has an expression about it of being sorrowful and despondent. ... It is a hopeless, dreary, heart-broken land.
    Palestine sits in sackcloth and ashes. Over it broods the spell of a curse that has withered its fields and fettered its energies. ... Nazareth is forlorn; about that ford of Jordan where the hosts of Israel entered the Promised Land with songs of rejoicing, one finds only a squalid camp of fantastic Bedouins of the desert; Jericho the accursed, likes a moldering ruin, today, even as Joshua’s miracle left it more than three thousand years ago; Bethlehem and Bethany, in their poverty and their humiliation, have nothing about them now to remind one that they once knew the high honor of the Saviour’s presence; the hallowed spot where the shepherds watched their flocks by night, and where the angels sang Peace on earth, good will to men, is untenanted by any living creature, and unblessed by any feature that is pleasant to the eye.
    Renowned Jerusalem itself, the stateliest name in history, has lost all its ancient grandeur, and is become a pauper village, the riches of Solomon are no longer there to compel the admiration of visiting Oriental queens; the wonderful temple which was the pride and glory of Israel, is gone, and the Ottoman crescent is lifted above the spot where, on that most memorable day in the annals of the world, they reared the Holy Cross.
    The noted Sea of Galilee, where Roman fleets once rode at anchor and the disciples of the Saviour sailed in their ships, was long ago deserted by the devotees of war and commerce, and its borders are a silent wilderness; Capernaum is a shapeless ruin;

The Regathering in Isaiah

Let’s look at this passage closely:

(Is. 11:11-12 NASB) Then it will happen on that day that the Lord will again recoverthe second time with His hand the remnant of His people, who will remain, from Assyria, Egypt, Pathros, Cush, Elam, Shinar, Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. 12 And He will lift up a standard for the nations, and will assemble the banished ones of Israel, and will gather the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

Today, we see that there has been an exodus from these specific countries that Isaiah had predicted:

Statistics on Regathering from the Nations

Nation

Jewish Population (1948)

Jewish Population (Today)

Egypt

66,000 Jews.

A few hundred.[3]

Assyria & Babylon

(modern day Iraq)

150,000 Jews

Fewer than 10![4]

Hamath

(modern day Syria)

15,000 Jews.

Fewer than 100.[5]

Elam

(modern day Persia, then Iran)

95,000 Jews.

20,000 to 25,000.[6]

The Regathering in Jeremiah

Jeremiah writes:

(Jer. 31:38-40 NASB) “Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when the city will be rebuilt for the LORD from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39“The measuring line will go out farther straight ahead to the hill Gareb; then it will turn to Goah. 40“And the whole valley of the dead bodies and of the ashes, and all the fields as far as the brook Kidron, to the corner of the Horse Gate toward the east, shall be holy to the LORD; it will not be plucked up or overthrown anymore forever.”

The Regathering in Ezekiel

Ezekiel writes:

(Ezek. 37:11-12, 14, 21-22, 25 NASB) “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel… 12I will bring you into the land of Israel14I will put My Spirit within you and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land. Then you will know that I, the LORD, have spoken and done it,” declares the LORD… 21Behold, I will take the sons of Israel from among the nations where they have gone, and I will gather them from every side and bring them into their own land 22and I will make them one nation in the land… 25They will live on the land that I gave to Jacob My servant, in which your fathers lived; and they will live on it, they, and their sons and their sons’ sons, forever; and David My servant will be their prince forever.

The Regathering in Zechariah

Zechariah writes,

(Zech. 10:8-10 NASB) “I will whistle for them to gather them together, For I have redeemed them; And they will be as numerous as they were before. 9“When I scatter them among the peoples, They will remember Me in far countries, And they with their children will live and come back. 10“I will bring them back from the land of Egypt And gather them from Assyria; And I will bring them into the land of Gilead and Lebanon Until no room can be found for them.

This cannot refer to the first exile, because this book post-dates the exilic period! Gleason Archer dates Zechariah’s book between 520 and 480 B.C. Liberal scholars date this book even later.[11] Also, Zechariah mentions the “far countries”—not merely Egypt and Assyria (c.f. Zech. 12:6).

The Regathering in the New Testament[12]

Jesus said,

(Lk. 21:24 NLT) They [the Jews] will be brutally killed by the sword or sent away as captives to all the nations of the world. And Jerusalem will be conquered and trampled down by the Gentiles UNTIL the age of the Gentiles comes to an end.

The operative word here is “until…” The Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple in A.D. 70. However, while the Jews were going to be temporarily removed from the land, they would ultimately receive the land in the end. At the end of history, Zechariah pictures Jerusalem being in the hands of the Jews (Zech. 12 and 14).

Remarkably, the regathering of the nation of Israel was predicted –not just in one passage –but in dozens of passages in the Bible. It appears that multiple authors in the Bible (both Old and New Testament) believed that God would restore the nation of Israel as a sovereign state on their original land. In the last fifty years, we have seen this prediction come to fruition. John Walvoord comments, “The restoration of Israel to its ancient land and its establishment as a political government is without parallel in the history of the world.”

Full Article

• Island Man
    Island Man

The only real prophecies that have ever been fulfilled have been those made by scientists.

Notably, Einstein keeps being proven right again and again. His predictions/theories developed decades ago keep being fulfilled (proven right) with modern experiments. The latest fulfillment has been the discovery of gravitational waves.

Darwin also made predictions that have been fulfilled in more modern times. The discovery of Tiktalik is a notable example of how science makes true, specific predictions. It was predicted in advance, based on evolutionary theory, that an aquatic creature matching its description would be found in the particular strata of the geologic column that it was found in!

But religion is a failure. It's predictions are always very vague, clouded in ambiguous language thus enabling the faithful to read into them the fulfillment of their choice. There are predictions in the bible that never came true, like the one about Egypt being desolated for 40(?) years. This never happened!

• Perry
    Perry

I can't imagine how the prophecies regarding the restoration of the nation of Israel could be more specific. The very nations were mentioned where they would be called from. Current statistics proves this correct, they all left as the table shows above.

It also mentions that they would be called from the four corners of the globe. And, that is just what has happened. Who would have imagined that the Jews would be scattered all over the world, and then out of nowhere just all reassemble and take up being a country again. Just amazing.

As far as the prophecy regarding Egypt being desolate. Only a nuclear disaster could cause that one to come true because it will be desolate of "man and beast".

Interesting discussion here about that.

As a side note: The Tower of Syene is connected to this. To my knowledge, the modern tower currently there is the first.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    It wasn't a 'prophecy' except in the mind of the narrator. It was a wish disguised as prophecy. Wishes can sometimes come true but there doesn't have to be a god to make them come true.
  • OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Please Perry do understand this is called a self-fulfilling prophecy as well as any "prophecy" about the "restoration of Israel" is horrifically and world detrimentally self-fulfilling. eg the Gaza strip

• Island Man
    Island Man

I can't imagine how the prophecies regarding the restoration of the nation of Israel could be more specific.

It was a self-fulfilling prophecy. What was written in the OT was widely known by Jews and they actively worked toward its fulfillment. The "prophecy" encouraged the Jews to fulfill it. There's nothing miraculous in that.

It would be like a child being told from young by his parents whom he loves and respects dearly, that he will become a doctor when he grows up. The child internalizes that message, causing it to shape his goals and achievements and he works towards it and it becomes a reality. His parents weren't inspired prophets. Their "prediction" served to encourage him to work toward it becoming a reality and it does.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Where would modern day Israel be today if it were not for the backing of the most powerful nation on earth at the present time , namely the United States of America .

Giving Financial , Military ,Economic ,and Technological aid to them.

I don`t see any GOD involvement in their current status.They are propped up by the USA .

smiddy

• Island Man
    Island Man

A true, verifiable prophecy should be:

• Specific - applicable to one and only one unambiguous fulfillment. The moment a prophecy is vague enough to be applicable to any one of a number of events then it suspiciously reeks of the "cold reading" tactic used by psychics.
    • Not a likely event that one can reasonably guess would happen. For example, if you throw a ball in the air then you can't claim as a prophecy, your prediction that it will fall to the ground. Likewise predicting there would be wars in the future is not a prophecy - it's common sense.
    • Must be proven to have been written before the predicted event rather than being a historical report dishonestly written as if its a prophecy.

It also bears noting that the NT's claims of prophecies fulfilled by Jesus carry no weight as there's no way to actually verify that the things written in the NT actually occurred. The NT gospel accounts could be fictional or highly embellished with the writers falsely claiming that Jesus did x in fulfillment of such and such scripture in the OT. Without proof that the claims of the NT are true, none of the supposed OT prophecies claimed to have been fulfilled by Jesus have any weight.

Also when one objectively reads some of the supposed OT prophecies claimed to have been fulfilled by Jesus, it becomes apparent they weren't actually prophecies at all. NT writers twisted obscure OT passages that had absolutely no prophetic significance whatsoever and made them out to be prophecies fulfilled by Jesus.

• George One Time
    George One Time

Island Man, what a wonderful explanation of what a prophecy should be!

• cofty
    cofty

Perry - thanks for a great example of how superstitions can do real harm in the world.

More than one US president actually believed the sort of crap in the OP and it skewed their ability to make any real difference to the middle east.

By the way 63% of the Jewish population of the world haven't bothered going back to Israel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit