Sin came into the world - not true?

by menrov 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    So, Eve had a desire to eat which was not allowed. So, she already committed the sin even before she ate. Adam followed to eat. As such, we can only conclude that Adam and Eve were created with sin.

What created the deadly desire in Eve was the belief that God was a liar. People typically act consistently externally with their beliefs that are internal. Eve chose not to believe God.

Disbelief precedes sin and causes it.

For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. - Romans 14

Disbelief is the culprit here, not God. True, God did create free will, but Eve could have just as easily believed that God was not a liar.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I found this Jewish perspective on the A&E story illuminating, it is their story from their Scriptures after all ; "

The Aish Rabbi Replies:

Adam and Eve were punished according to their actions. In other words, God laid down the conditions for Adam and Eve to live in the garden, provided they would not eat from the Tree of Knowledge. However, if they were to eat from that tree they would be punished by experiencing death. (If they had not eaten from the tree, they would have remained immortal.)

This sets down the basic principle in Judaism of Reward and Punishment. Basic to this is that every person has the choice of doing good or bad. When a person chooses "good" – as defined by God – he is able to draw close to God. In other words, every individual has a chance to "gain salvation" through his own actions.

My understanding of Christianity, however, is that the Original Sin has infected all of mankind to the point where individuals are incapable of achieving salvation through their own initiative. Man is "totally depraved" and therefore his only hope of salvation is through the cross.

This belief is contrary to the teachings of Judaism. From the Torah perspective, an individual does not need to rely on anyone else to atone for them. In Judaism, sins can be "erased" altogether by sincere repentance and a firm resolution never to repeat the mistakes."

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    • In Judaism, sins can be "erased" altogether by sincere repentance and a firm resolution never to repeat the mistakes."

Phizzy,

All religions basically teach this. Christianity is unique in that salvation results from what was DONE and not from what you DO.

No other religion teaches this. A new convert is encouraged to live a life of freedom, appreciation, rest & observance of love of God and love of neighbor in imitation of Christ the redeemer. Just two laws.

Instead of doing good works to achieve salvation, Christians do good works in acknowledgement and imitation of the costly price of what was done.

All other religions are just variations of the theme : Do.

Christianity ALONE is spelled DONE.

From the Torah perspective, an individual does not need to rely on anyone else to atone for them. In Judaism, sins can be "erased" altogether by sincere repentance and a firm resolution never to repeat the mistakes."

From the whacked out pharisaical oral teachings of Jewish elders, yes. From authentic Israeli history NO.

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
      And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: - Job 19: 25-26

Job will be resurrected on the earth and will also see God incarnate here as well... all because of his redeemer. Job, the best guy on earth at the time, couldn't get there by himself..... he needed a "redeemer".

The Pharisees are just as blind today as they were when Jesus was talking to them 2000 years ago. They pontificate mostly about themselves and their good works. - all vanity.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

"my righteous servant will justify many" Isaiah 53:11.

I think from a Bible fundamentalist perspective, we often fail to realize that the biblical revelation is progressive. Only a few lesser known belief systems take that into account (Bullingerism is one) while the Bible critic says well of course it is "progressive" 😁😁😁

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" From the whacked out pharisaical oral teachings of Jewish elders, yes. From authentic Israeli history NO."

I think you need to have a look at the origins of the Original Sin Doctrine, maybe ? I have a feeling it is a late development in Jewish thinking ? Authentic Israeli History does not exist for the early days of Jewish thought.

• Phizzy
  • JoenB75
    JoenB75

Phizzy,

Who believes God created anyone with original sin? Generally man gets all the blame 😁😁. Paul seems to be contend with blaming Adam for the introduction of sin into the world

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good point Joen75 ! the creator of that meme could have worded it better !

The whole concept of Original Sin was a late development in Jewish thought, so originally the Story of the garden of Eden was not written with that idea as part of it. The Story does not insist that Sin will be passed to all Humans explicitly.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Phizzy, true. Whether or not Paul says that in Romans 5 is at least a matter of interpretation ☺️

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Committing adultery "in your heart" or desire or theft or whatever "in your heart" is not a sin.

Sin was invented by priests/preachers to make the members feel guilty, thus needing the priest/preacher to be appeased to appease the god.

They have defined it as an immoral "act" considered to be a transgression against divine law. An act. Not a thought.

Sure, they may sometimes redefine it as even thought based on what Jesus said. That damned Bible getting in the way. But whoever wrote those Jesus words was trying to say that everyone does that and the key is not to let it become sin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit