What Happened to 2034?

by NotFormer 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Some years ago the WT started putting it out there that Noah took 120 years to build the ark, and since the WT was the new ark, it may allow them up to 2034 (1914 + 120) before Armageddon. It could have been their new 1975 to get excited about, but I don't see any mention of it at all now. What happened during the two decades since last I observed anything about the WT?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Probably the Borg realizes that it is beyond foolhardy,,,,to claim dates on things any longer.

• vienne
    vienne

Please cite a reference to WT publications. I've never seen this.

• NotFormer
  • vienne
    vienne

So in other words, they didn't say that. People just speculated that they had.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I seem to remember that Ray Franz wrote that the idea had been floated around by one of the GB, but it was not adopted and never appeared in print.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

They could have bought the organisation some time if they had decided to run with it. It's still a decade out now. If they wanted to ignite some excitement it might work if handled properly. Not that the GB ever handle anything competently. The recent announcements suggest that they've given up on trying to ignite excitement for the preaching "work".

I'm not saying that I want the GB to have another urgency club to beat their flock with. Just that I'm surprised 🙀 that they wouldn't run with such an obviously convenient way to extend the relevance of 1914. I had personally theorised the 2034 date in the 90s, but I never mentioned it on boards like this because, quite frankly, I didn't want to help the GB and give them any ideas (of course Bethel monitors these sites! 🙄). Then in the early 2000s this idea began to circulate, especially after the 2003 Watchtower article, by then I was no longer interested in the WT and "faded" from this site.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I think Ray Franz and his circle had postulated a later alternative date to 1914, IIRC.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Yes, didn't one gb guy want 1914 moved (was it 1957?) because of Sputnik??

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Ron.W., that's ringing a bell 🔔...

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/61905/after-2034-what-then

(The above link is good because it mentions both Sputnik and 2034)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit