Article Allegedly Makes End of the World Predictions re 2034

by rebel8 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rebel8
    rebel8

I saw someone post about a March 2005 WTS publication making thinly veiled threats predictions about 'The End' coming in 2034. Now I can't find the thread. I had heard some talk about this previously, but then was told it was a hoax....WTS supposedly had not said anything about it. Then I heard this week a publication just came out that does say it.

Anyone seen it? What does it say?

If it does make predictions about 2034, this is huge news.

• kls
    kls

I must have also missed it and would surly like to see it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I don't know about one this year, but in 2003 there was one.

(from http://quotes.watchtower.ca/ )

*** Watchtower 2003 December 15 pp.14-19 Our Watchfulness Takes On Greater Urgency ***

Our Watchfulness Takes On Greater Urgency

"Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming."?MATTHEW 24:42.

"ABOVE all other things, the twentieth century was shaped by war," says author Bill Emmott. While admitting that all periods of human history have felt the weight of wars and violence, he adds: "The twentieth century did not differ in kind, it differed in degree. It was the first century to feature a truly world-spanning conflict . . . And, as if to emphasize the point, it featured not just one such worldwide conflict, but two."

2 Wars that involve 'nation against nation and kingdom against kingdom' were foretold by Jesus Christ. However, they are just one aspect of 'the sign of Christ's presence and of the conclusion of the system of things.' In this great prophecy, Jesus also mentioned famines, pestilences, and earthquakes. (Matthew 24:3, 7, 8; Luke 21:6, 7, 10, 11) In many respects, such calamities have increased in scope and severity. The badness of man is abundant, as seen in his attitude toward God and fellowman. Moral breakdown and increase in crime and violence are evident. Men have become lovers of money rather than lovers of God, obsessed with pleasure. All this testifies that we are living in "critical times."?2 Timothy 3:1-5.

3 How do you view the worsening trend in human affairs? Many are indifferent, even callous, to distressing events of the day. The world's influential and intellectual men do not discern the meaning of "the signs of the times"; neither have religious leaders given proper guidance in this matter. (Matthew 16:1-3) But Jesus admonished his followers: "Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming." (Matthew 24:42) Jesus here encourages us not only to be watchful but to "keep on the watch." To keep on the watch, we must remain alert and vigilant. This requires more than simply acknowledging that we are living in the last days, more than recognizing that times are hard. We must have firm conviction that "the end of all things has drawn close." (1 Peter 4:7) Only then will our watchfulness take on a sense of urgency. Hence, the question that we must reflect on is: 'What will help us to strengthen our conviction that the end is near?'

4 Consider the conditions prevailing during the time preceding a one-of-a-kind event in human history?the great Deluge of Noah's day. People were so bad that Jehovah "felt hurt at his heart." He declared: "I am going to wipe men whom I have created off the surface of the ground." (Genesis 6:6, 7) And he did just that. Drawing a parallel between then and now, Jesus said: "Just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be."?Matthew 24:37.

5 It is reasonable to assume that Jehovah feels about the present world as he felt about the pre-Flood world. Since he brought an end to the ungodly world of Noah's day, he will certainly destroy the wicked world of today. Having a clear understanding of the parallel between that time and our day should fortify our conviction that the end of the present world is near. What, then, are the similarities? There are at least five. The first is that a warning of coming destruction is given in no uncertain terms.

Warned of "Things Not Yet Beheld"

6 In Noah's day, Jehovah declared: "My spirit shall not act toward man indefinitely in that he is also flesh. Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years." (Genesis 6:3) The issuance of this divine decree in 2490 B.C.E. marked the beginning of the end for that ungodly world. Just think what that meant for those then living! Only 120 years more and Jehovah would bring "the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force of life is active from under the heavens."?Genesis 6:17.

7 Noah received the warning of the upcoming catastrophe decades in advance, and he wisely used the time to prepare for survival. "After being given divine warning of things not yet beheld," says the apostle Paul, "[Noah] showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household." (Hebrews 11:7) What about us? Some 90 years have passed since the last days of this system of things began in 1914. We are certainly in "the time of the end." (Daniel 12:4) How should we respond to warnings we have been given? "He that does the will of God remains forever," states the Bible. (1 John 2:17) Now is therefore the time to do Jehovah's will with a keen sense of urgency.

8 In modern times, sincere students of the Bible have learned from the inspired Scriptures that this system is doomed to destruction. Do we believe this? Notice what Jesus Christ clearly stated: "There will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world's beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (Matthew 24:21) Jesus also said that he would come as God's appointed Judge and would separate people as a shepherd separates sheep from goats. Those found unworthy would "depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life."?Matthew 25:31-33, 46.

9 Jehovah has kept these warnings in front of his people by means of timely reminders through the spiritual food provided by "the faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45-47) Moreover, every nation, tribe, tongue, and people are called upon to "fear God and give him glory, because the hour of the judgment by him has arrived." (Revelation 14:6, 7) An integral part of the Kingdom message preached earth wide by Jehovah's Witnesses is the warning that God's Kingdom will soon remove human rulership. (Daniel 2:44) This warning is not to be taken lightly. Almighty God always keeps his word. (Isaiah 55:10, 11) He did in Noah's day, and he will in our day.?2 Peter 3:3-7.

[...]

"Keep on the Watch"

21 Although the Flood seems remote from our day, it clearly provides a warning that we must not ignore. (Romans 15:4) The similarities between Noah's day and our day should make us increasingly aware of the significance of what is happening and alert us to the thieflike coming of Jesus to execute judgment upon the wicked.

22 Today, Jesus Christ is directing a tremendous spiritual building work. For the security and survival of true worshipers, an arklike spiritual paradise exists. (2 Corinthians 12:3, 4) To be preserved through the great tribulation, we must remain in that paradise. Surrounding the domain of the spiritual paradise is Satan's world, ready to assimilate any who have become spiritually drowsy. It is imperative that we "keep on the watch" and prove ourselves ready for Jehovah's day.?Matthew 24:42, 44.

• jaredg
    jaredg

i remember seeing this post too and thought that 30 years down the road is a pretty long time from now. a bet a bunch of peopel in their 60s are dissapointed.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    a bet a bunch of peopel in their 60s are dissapointed

Nahhhhh, not really!

Apostate Annie.........hmmmm kinda has a nice ring doesn't it!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

It gives them 30 years to figure out a way to change their story.

Kwin

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

*runs madly about like a chicken with her head cut off, looking for the nearest JW to confess her sins and rejoin the walking dead* Oh, wait! *stops to think for a moment* Something is coming back to me...1...9...7...5...? Something about that year.... hmmmm

J

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to say that I believe this to be a story about nothing.

The article points out supposed similarities between Noah's time and our own, but I do not see a link established for a time period . No dub of my acquaintaince has made a connection in this way and there has been nothing more in print.

As they say, 90 years have passed and nothing has happened ! That is the only true fact

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    "...30 years down the road is a pretty long time from now."

Yes, it may seem that way, especially when we've had the "1975" thread running just recently and it seemed that the WTB&TS came out with the news about 1975 in 1968, just seven years "lead time."

However, a careful review of WTB&TS publications will demonstrate that they first began to point to the "significance" of the 1970s TWENTY NINE years earlier, in 1943 with the publications of the ironically titled "THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

On page 152, after discussing "bible based" chronology, the book says:

"...

From Adam's creation to the end of 1943 A.D. is 5,971 years

We are therefore near the end of six thousand years of human history, with conditions upon us and tremendous events at hand foreshadowed by those of Noah's day. "

So if they do begin another "30 year campaign," it won't be anything they haven't tried before. They can haul the old banners, placards and leaflets out of storage and begin again.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The article points out supposed similarities between Noah's time and our own, but I do not see a link established for a time period . No dub of my acquaintaince has made a connection in this way and there has been nothing more in print.

I agree the 2003 article isn't specific enough to make a believable claim that the dubs are saying The End is coming in 2034. (Of course, we all know that the mentioning of numbers and dates does have an effect on the dubs. If it didn't, there would be no purpose in mentioning the 120 yrs, would there be? We all know the reason the WTS mentions numbers is because they want people to draw conclusions. Yet they are done in a veiled way so that the individual dubs can be blamed when their predictions don't come true. They accomplish their purpose of increased recruitment, fervor, and increased sales of literature, with none of the blame for making false predictions. You have to admit, it's a brilliant plan.)

Here's another thing:

The issuance of this divine decree in 2490 B.C.E. marked the beginning of the end for that ungodly world. Just think what that meant for those then living! Only 120 years more and Jehovah would bring "the deluge of waters upon the earth

Think about how silly that quote is (2003 article). Are they honestly trying to claim that, when the issuance of a decree in 2490 b.c., everyone said, "Oh. That means we have 120 years left." Whaat kind of logic is that? Even if there was such a decree and the public was made aware of it, how would they have made the connection that their world would end 120 years from then?

But the purpose of my thread was to find out if anyone had the March 2005 publication, which allegedly does draw a specific connection with 2034. You are saying nothing more has been in print, yet someone else said that there was this month. Just trying to determine what was or was not recently in print.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit