JW anti-gay children movie viral in Netherlands national media + official reaction of JW spokesman Branch office

by Gorbatchov 62 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    doesn't the video show the child being told to tell her friend with two mommies that they won't be in the paradise?
    cofty:
    To be fair no it doesn't. The child is encouraged to tell her friend about the paradise and the animals and the resurrection.

Actually, that 'encouragement' comes after the child has been given the example of a person being denied access to a flight (the 'gay moms are likened to terrorists who can't get on a plane). The implication is that the gay moms will be denied access to paradise the same as someone who is denied plane access.

• cofty
    cofty

Orphan Crow that is a classic example of the exaggeration that I am objecting to.

The man who can't get on the plane is not portrayed as a terrorist. He is just a man who has ignored the rules about what he can take on a plane.

You set up your post as a rebuttal to my comment that the girl is not encouraged to tell her friend that her two mums won't get into paradise but you don't address that point.

Why not criticise the WT for what things they actually do and say rather than making things up?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Simon, I'm really surprised how you edit these threads to fit your agenda. I thought you were someone of a different character. This is the first time I've noticed what you're doing here. Thank you for freeing me from this place. You are just as bad as they are. As of this moment im finally a former, former Jehovah's Witness. See ya.      

Any friends that want to contact me can use Facebook. My full name is Paul Duda and  I'm really from  Cleveland

Paul Duda on Facebook

• Simon
    Simon

Please explain what "my agenda" is supposed to be and how you think I've edited these threads to fit it.

I answered you comment with facts, not hyperbole. Sorry, I'm not going to jump on something and start saying it is proof of something that it isn't.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

some gay people are reporting the movie to the local police - good. It's very wrong for the WT to brainwash innocent children to hate homosexuality, gay marriages or gay people. Some of these children will naturally grow up gay.

Western countries should penalise the WT in courts of law for this. Force them to retract the video. Take away their charitable status. Bring charges against the higher-ups in the org.

It's one thing for people to believe homosexuality is wrong and keep this view private (not ideal, but then what is); it's another matter entirely for them to force their views onto children.

The WT saying it's only for JW children is no defence - JW children are just as much a part of the society they live in as other children are.

I think the Germans have the right idea - ban the video.

• Simon
    Simon

So you're saying it's OK for people to believe something, but not OK to teach those same beliefs to their children to the extent that government should step in and do what exactly - supervise bedtime stories? Take kids away and teach them at government boot-camp?

And what should this extend to? Views about women? Views about saving and financial planning? View of government and politics? Or is it just for sex?

This is one of those things that can only be fought in the court of public opinion and guess what, we're winning! Society is moving to become more progressive and tolerant. Trying to move the battle lines to an un-winnable position just doesn't seem like it will do anything other than make some people think that maybe we are the intolerant ones.

Let religion and the idiocy it promotes die out on it's own.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    cofty: Orphan Crow that is a classic example of the exaggeration that I am objecting to.
    The man who can't get on the plane is not portrayed as a terrorist. He is just a man who has ignored the rules about what he can take on a plane.
    You set up your post as a rebuttal to my comment that the girl is not encouraged to tell her friend that her two mums won't get into paradise but you don't address that point.
    Why not criticise the WT for what things they actually do and say rather than making things up?

Okay. I will give you that. the man isn't a terrorist. He is just a man who is trying to get on a plane and is denied access. He ignored the rules.

By association, the same principle apply to gay moms - they can't "get on the plane" (get to paradise) if they don't follow Jehovah's rules.

Whether or not the mom specifically said - "go tell your friend that her moms won't get to paradise because they don't follow Jehovah's rules" - she did say "tell your friends about the pandas". A child who watches this can make the connection that if the rules aren't followed...the gay moms don't get to paradise.

So, in the cartoon, the child wasn't told directly to say that to her friend...which is even more insidious because the duplicity that is being taught to a child - the mom is in effect saying then..."don't tell your friend that her moms will not get to paradise (even tho you know this to be the 'truth') instead...tell them about the "good" stuff. Hide the "truth" from your friend.

As far as "making things up" goes, that is exactly the function of the cartoon/video medium. The viewer is supposed to make up what is left out - it is how the medium works. This is not a complicated video - it is aimed at children. Children can figure this one out.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

To be fair no it doesn't. The child is encouraged to tell her friend about the paradise and the animals and the resurrection.

wizzstick: Yes...but we all know the implication.
    "For your two mummies to get into paradise they will need to change!"
    Which in the real world would make them be very unhappy given they aren't gay by choice.

There is a strong implication made in the video. The mother uses the illustration of a person being denied on an airplane as the same as someone doing bad not being allowed into paradise.

The "implication" is very strong. Gay moms = terrorists with banned substances and/or weapons. Terrorists can't "get on the plane" and gay moms are denied access to the pandas.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good points, Simon.

you're saying it's OK for people to believe something, but not OK to teach those same beliefs to their children to the extent that government should step in - yes, that's what I said. Government should step in and ban the video.

You're probably right. I suppose I'm getting annoyed at the WT's complete unwillingness to integrate into society. Some religions know not to put anti-gay videos in front of children. The WT seems to revel in its opposition to normal society.

The WT needs to be reminded that religions only exist in the West because Western governments allow them.

Religions should know their place.

• Simon
    Simon
    By association, the same principle apply to gay moms - they can't "get on the plane" (get to paradise) if they don't follow Jehovah's rules.

And now we get to the meat of the issue.

It's the bible.

So to get the video declared illegal you would also need someone to effectively declare the bible illegal and sorry folks, I'd be first to raise my hand in that vote but it just ain't gonna happen.

This is the challenge with religious belief. It;s better to try and undermine it and label it outdated than to confront it head on imagining that some judge is going to say "yeah, you're right, let's ban their religion" over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit