Has Anyone Had Chinese Food Lately?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Since this virus, I have noticed that nearly all of the take out joints in my area are closed.

• cofty
    cofty

I miss Chinese food. The blame lies with the CCP not with our Chinese neighbours or the Chinese population.

On the other hand I will go out my way in future never to buy goods made in China.

• under the radar
    under the radar

I'm with you, cofty!

First off, food sold at American "Chinese" restaurants isn't really Chinese anyway. More like "in the tradition of," and even then it's a pretty loose connection. That said, I'd love some Chinese takeout about now.

As to your second point, I too would pay a premium to buy something made in America over something made in China. In many cases, "Made in China" has the same poor quality connotation that "Made in Japan" had in the 50's and 60's. The Japanese cleaned up their act and now produce lots of first quality, truly innovative stuff. China would be much better off if they followed suit.

Some things, like the iPhone, are manufactured in China, but the process is highly controlled so that it meets the standards American high tech companies expect. Other things, not so much.

I don't think it's realistic, or even possible, to go entirely China-free in today's marketplace, but I'm gonna do what I can. If there's a reasonable choice, I'm gonna go American very time.

All that said, I hope we do whatever is necessary to cut our dependence on China for things vital to our society and our economy. We should be the world's source for medicines and medical devices, setting the standards others can only aspire to. The same could be said for other strategically important industries. Yes, we could and should trade with other nations around the world. But we should also have the infrastructure to be entirely self-sustaining if need be. We should never again find ourselves at the mercy of any other nation for anything. Let them come begging to us, not the other way around.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, although we only have two Chinese places close to me (the older Cuban population here considers the Chinese "dirty"), one is closed and the other doesn't appear to be doing much business.

I think it will be a long time before restaurants in general get back anything close to normal. For Chinese restaurants, it may be years if ever. It may not be fair to them, but it is just the perception people will have.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

Too bad because I love a good Chinese restaurant. In Boston’s Chinatown, it’s dead.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Yes, I ate my pets last night

Seriously though, very hard to avoid Chinese manufacturing. If you’re buying a new power tool for example it’s very hard to go pass the bang for buck of the Chinese brands. You may be happy to spend a little extra getting the USA or German brand, so you get a Milwaukee or Bosch...still made in China. So it’s a quagmire out there.

Hand tools are the main type required in my trade and this is where USA manufacturing stands alone, virtually everything I need and use is made USA. I also highly rate Japanese manufacturing, particularly Japanese hand tools can be very excellent quality.

Excuse me now, I have a bat casserole in the oven

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

I've not had any takeaways since this whole thing kicked off; nothing to do with Chinese per se, rather I simply don't fancy having someone else cooking for me now.

It's virtually impossible to find products that do not contain parts made in the PRC at some level, even if the product itself is assembled elsewhere. I do hope the PRC are held accountable for once...

• jp1692
    jp1692

No, but I made Thai food last night at home!

We're not really doing takeout since this Stay-at-Home order.

• minimus
    minimus

Thai is ok not Chinese lol

• minimus
    minimus

My Vietnamese tennis friend was quick to point out he wasn’t Chinese. I said.... same thing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit