snowbird

Back at you, NJWS.

I am in Alabama.

From the Black Belt area.

Poor, but loving people

Sylvia

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I grew up within walking distance of the Alabama line. We count hours in fast time or slow time to keep ourselves straight with the eastern or central time zone. I have to turn off the auto time switch on my phone or I would go nuts! I am in eastern, but Mom, 35 min away is in central.

I could show you a place where you could stand in AL,TN and GA at the same time. It's near Nickajack dam. One foot an hour behind the other hahahaha

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

wow - lots of must see places on my list

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pretty sure WT ideology can and does attract individuals with mental health problems, and can and does make said problems worse.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I have already written about young Bethelites, in an earlier post, but there's more . . . always more:

We young Bethel brothers were homesick, feeling all the hormonal emotions a kid experiences. Serving Jehovah and the so-called people of good will -- bringing them into the fold -- helped allay our unfulfilled yearnings. Well, as long as we were busy, and, except for those furtive hours of scant sleep, we were on the go nonstop.

Many of us had breakdowns, even though Bethel HQ did recognize our need for recreation, providing onsite facilities: bowling, basketball, etc. That's what I recall. However, my friends and I in the foreign language congregations were way too busy to unwind. One of my friends, perhaps the hardest working of all, often came home late an night from an assignment and collapsed on his bed in his street clothes. Several of us hardworking kids wound up in the infirmary, quit assignments, ran away, attempted suicide, left for good . . .

I don't believe my fellow Bethelites were as emotionally damaged as I, given my own family history; but the relentless giving and giving will take its toll -- on anyone.

And, I repeat: FOG, FOG, FOG, . . .

• snowbird
    snowbird

NJWS, thanks for that geography lesson.

Somewhere here, I've got a list of the counties in AL, FL, GA, MS, and TN that share the same name.

Astounding!

CoCo, you are just too good for this no-account world.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

(((((Sylvia)))))

!!!

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, coco, I have heard many stories of the struggles experienced by Bethelites. People who volunteer for that kind of lifestyle are often extremely conscientious and dedicated - perhaps not your "typical" JW. When they are face-to-face with the demands and double-standards of Bethel, it can be an incredible shock to one's faith and conviction. Combine all of that with personal negative feelings such as "the FOG" (Fear, Obligation and Guilt) and limited means of addressing such difficulties, it is not surprising that untold numbers of Bethrlites developed mental-health problems.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. coco's post...

But God forbid anyone suggest the root of the problem lie with the WTS or its ideology...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, steve2, for a much appreciated reply.

When I wrote in another thread regarding THE TRUTH in the '60s and '70s, I was clearly in Pollyanna mode. New and eager, I saw only the good because that's all I perceived early on.

I'm of a different opinion now, not one of anger or bitterness. No, just one that recognizes hard realities.

With gratitude, . . .

Edited to add my thanks to Vidiot for his post -- spot on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit