Mental Illness

by Tallon 61 Replies latest watchtower medical

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Since JWs advertise to have the answers to all of life's problems with a side order of instant family it's no surprise the children of JWs and vulnerable adults are their target market for recruiting. That doesn't mean that you have to be mentally ill to be a JW but giving up your own conscience, individuality and reasoning ability is certainly a high price to pay for their hellish spiritual paradise.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

I agree that the culture and teachings of the society do contribute to a heightened state of stress and anxiety.

The very idea that "we alone know the future" and how "all will be destroyed except faithful witnesses" must play havoc with a normal mind. The FEAR, OBLIGATION and GUILT is abundant. (we don't see that until we exit the culture)

It is like cornering a puppy and raising a large iron bar above its head and holding it there threatening to strike it! It cowers in fear and anticipation of what seems to be about to happen!

That is how every witness is raised to feel......

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Lets see, of the JW's i know personally...

My mother has been on antidepressants for about 15 years

One of my sisters is depressed and signed off work because of it

Both of my brothers are on strong antidepressants and probably will be for life

My mother in law is on antidepressants

My ex wife suffers from chronic OCD and anxiety extenuated by fear and guilt of not being good enough

My daughters best friends mum in the KH is on antidepressants

And on top of all them, from when i was an active JW a year ago i personally knew 9 others in the Kingdom Hall that suffer from depression. Not older ones, young people, 20yo-30yo. The worst thing is, rather than looking into the problem seriously they're all waiting for the new system to come along and "wipe out every tear from their eye".

Yeah, it really sounds like "the best life ever" doesn't it?

• Spiral
    Spiral

I've experienced the same things with my JW friends and family. Probably 60-70% are depressed, and on some sort of medication.

Today I read the following article:

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/former-fda-commissioner-believes-all-mental-illness-derives-from-a-common-source?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1493054317

"The idea is that we are "captured," or captivated by something in such a way that we can't let it go. According to the former pediatrician and Yale dean, capture is really a brain-based phenomenon. Not only that, but it can also become an overarching perspective through which we may view any obsession, disorder, mental illness addiction, and even suicide."

I believe this applies. JWs are "captured" mentally by the cycle of "religiousity".

• zeb
    zeb

highly likely. I hope you get well and are able to fend off the 'black-dog' forever.

• steve2
    steve2

I have always observed that many jws with problems came into the organization looking for a solution or cure for mental illnesses they already had. Now having a mental illness already, I am sure that the dynamics of the WTS did not help but made it worse.

Blondie has identified a crucial variable in understanding the observable prevalence of mental health problems among JWs, both active and inactive.

In psychological terms, it is often referred to as a biological vulnerability to developing disorders such as clinical depression and anxiety spectrum disorders. That vulnerability is not sufficient in itself to lead to mental health problems and this is where a second crucial variable comes in: An invalidating environment which can range from indifferently treating the individual through to overtly punishing them.

A further layer is needed to understand how mental health problems "play out" over individuals' lives in JW organization: Many people who are attracted to religious messages of hope - whether in heaven or on earth - are already suffering from diagnosable mental health disorders - which is why they long for life to be better and - bingo! - the Witnesses knock.

How often has it been observed on this forum about the dubious "health calibre" of people showing "interest" in JW organization?

By saying the seeds are already there, however, does not absolve JW organization of responsibility in pushing a very stressful lifestyle in which whatever you do, it is never enough.

To be attracted to the JW message, an individual in some crucial ways, likely already feels at odds with life and the world, is probably already cynical about "this system" and "the churches" and just wants out. Again, the Witnesses message has huge attraction for people who feel beaten down about life. Their message seldom, if ever, appeals to people who are already engaged in leading happy and successful lives.

BTW - but importantly - I do not think JW organization is unique in appealing primarily to people who are - to put it bluntly - f*ked up in some way and who struggle with life and who are desperate for answers to "big" questions so they feel consoled. Look at any busy church community and you will find any number of members who are biologically vulnerable to developing mental health disorders. However, where JWs and other high-control groups have the unfortunate edge over more mainstream groups is in unwittingly incubating and nursing these sorts of disorders by means of the oftentimes harsh, unrelenting and stressful expectations of members. Even backsliden JWs harbor lots of FOG (fear, obligation and guilt). It is a shame that, for untold numbers of such vulnerable people, they slide further into mental-health distress and who knows how many attempt to take their lives and of those who do, an unknown proportion succeed.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The very fact that every "witness" whether they admit it or not is just wishing/praying for Armageddon to come speaks volumes about their mental state.

What sane person wants Billions of people man,woman and child destroyed by GOD so they can find relief from their problems in this world.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Thank you to all for your posts. Really appreciate it.

My breakdown occurred 30 years ago. It took me about 1 year to get back on an even keel. I have long since recovered and no longer take medication.

I do think the FOG which I was hammered with (which we were all subjected to) played a huge part in causing the anxiety and tension / stress I felt.

Anyway, here's wishing good health to you all.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    That vulnerability is not sufficient in itself to lead to mental health problems and this is where a second crucial variable comes in: An invalidating environment which can range from indifferently treating the individual through to overtly punishing them.

This is what I wanted to say but thanks for giving me the professional terms Steve2. The invalidating environment of the JW religion is so damaging to people vulnerable to illnesses like depression. Whatever you do it's never enough. If you're a woman you're a second-class person to start with. If you're a married woman and you don't have children you're nobody, even if you're getting 100 hours a month pioneering, still nobody!

The low self esteem is endemic in that religion and if you have a bilogical vulnerability to depression as Steve says you're in real danger of being ill for years as I was. Five years of clinical depression without medication because thirty-five years ago pscychiatrists were the spawn of the devil and medication was a no-no. I defy anyone who says the WTS never said that, I was there! Since leaving I only had one short bout of depression for five months when my parents died and I did take medication.

Building self esteem by gradually achieving more things in life while removing toxic people or groups who drag you down is the key to mental health in my opinion.

Good health to you too Tallon.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

1 in 5 people in the UK, US and Australia have a mental health problem generally. I don't think Jehovahs witnesses have a higher rate - they may even have a lower rate as stats indicate that people who believe in religion have much lower rates of mental illness. edit honestly steve - where do you get your info from lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit