Mental Illness

by Tallon 61 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

tor, your mind is free, that is huge. You need the structure, that's your own personal need. You need those people, that is not to be judged by anyone.

You sound as if your need to be free of the demands placed on you is getting strong. Don't ignore those needs to be free. Do what you can to eliminate the toxic parts, and retain what you are still in need of. No one is to judge you for that.

Granted, it is a super delicate balancing act, but don't became so frozen in fear that you don't act on what you need to do.

Your life is precious.

• snowbird
    snowbird

(((((((Tor)))))))

Yes, Girlfriend.

That great day is coming.

I will keep you in my heart.

Love.

Sylvia

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi NonJwspouse,

That's the issue, I have no need for structure, my head is on pretty tight...I came into this religion out of curiosity, I looked too long into the hole and I feel into it....why it's hard for me to leave is because most of the friends need me, they have no place to air their real feelings...somehow, I happen to be that sister that can talk folks off the ledge....No doubt I learned a lot from the friends but I'm the encourager in the congregation. I could tell you more but don't want to say too much....if you know what I mean...

Life is precious, that's what I try to share with the friends....yes, it's nice to look forward to a better day but what about the journey now...not everything is bad....I even have to point out the flowers in field service or tell them that today is a good day because someone just had a healthy baby and someone just found out that their cancer is in remission...yes, all the time I have to tell them the glass is full, so that is why it's hard for me to pull away....I know that these are conditional friends....and if I leave they will miss me...& I them....but I still have friends that are not JW's and that keeps me balanced...

Thanks for the encouragement, that I should not be frozen with fear and that's it right there...fear of man not God...

@ Snowbird,

Yep, that day will be here and you'll be free of yesterday....we will keep each other in our hearts and pray for healing for all those who have gone through so much...Love, Tor

Tor

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks again Ruby for your thoughtful replies. I appreciate you clarifying specific points I have raised. There are just two further points that I wish to follow up on, if you will oblige me.

First, you mention prior research on the topic of mental health issues among JWs - I am aware of some earlier studies that were so deeply flawed that their damning findings against JW organization are unjustified such as that by "Havor Montague" (aka Jerry Bergman) whose anecdotal writings are tarted up with the language of a bona fide scientific survey. Is this the "research" you are referring to?

Secomd, whilst I think that problems do arise for those trying to leave, I think the problem also extends to active JWs who are in some way burdened by a sense of failure or crisis of faith who do NOT want to leave.

How do I know this? In my work as a clinical psychologist work ing for almost two decades in community mental health services, I get to know about referrals of people who are affiliated with a number of religious group. One of the main conclusions that I have come to is the seeming disproportionate number of referrals from individuals who are affiliated with high-control religious groups who are not seeking a way out. These groups include Exclusive Brethren, strict evangelical Christians such as those who call themselves 'the church of Christ' (note the small 'c' for church) and JWs. Are you aware of the fact thst even JWs in good standing are referred to mental health services? You say it is primarily those trying to leave but my line of work and involvement with mental health services suggests it is not just those troubled by difficulties in trying to leave.

Again, plesse note I am not saying it is worse amlng JWs but more a case of the claimed benefits of spirituality do not appear to extend to high control groups - or if they do, the positive effects are not that apparent, given the relative frequency of mental-health referrals both for those who are not expressing an intention to leave and those who are but who are troubled by the prospect of losses associated with leaving.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

steve thanks for explaining

so perhaps you do no have problem's with what I said on page 2 3 and 4 (changes I have made in light of what you now say bolded). As you are a mental health expert I would really like to know

1 in 5 people in the UK, US and Australia have a mental health problem generally. I don't think Jehovahs witnesses have a higher rate - they may even have a lower rate as stats indicate that people who believe in religion have much lower rates of mental illness. ruby edit honestly steve - where do you get your info from lol

or from page 3

I'd think that issues of invalidation would occur when people think of leaving or when they no longer believe in the religion or when that particular worldview does not work for them. so this period would definitely make mental health conditions much worse and I guess we need to think in terms of looking after ourselves during this period, getting professional help, medication etc ruby
    page 4
    steve you making quite a few assumptions there. I don't even know where to start.
    but please indicate which figures you are refuting? what is known is the incidence of mental health disorders within the general population and we can at least expect to see that reflected amongst Jehovahs witnesses - it isn't? though I still think it is lower among JWs (sentence added 30/04). then too, at least we would expect to see some caution expressed in making assertions that Jehovhas witnesses are mentally damaging without qualification particularly as mental illness is so common in the general population.

the royal family are at present involved in bringing valuable publicity to this issuse of the prevalence of mental illness so to remove the stigmatism that is associated with it.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Ruby. As our exchange has continued, I find we are broadly in agreement. My understanding of the 1 in 5 figure is that it refers to lifetime prevalence rates; that is, at least 1 in 5 people in the UK will meet criteria for a diagnosable mental health disorder at least once in their life. For example, for some that could be a nonrecurrent or single episode major depressive disorder and for others it could be a recurrent episode across several years, if not decades.

I have yet to see any compelling evidence that members of high-control religious groups experience the kinds of benefits reported in research on the benefits of religiodity or spirituality. But that is my observation which I would never pass off as "research". And I have to acknowledge that I am not a neutral observer! Best! Steve2

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Yes I understand re prevalence rates but this would apply to jws just as much as to the general population

re research regarding jehovahs witnesses - some of this has been generated by the claims of activists and some by work on al-Qaida and some by work on what the opposition call cults - This I is a rich and fruitful field of research and evidence

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I find it amazing that you think there is little evidence of more mental illness in JWs than in the general population Ruby. They think any day God is going to destroy nearly 8 billion people, leaving them as survivors. The lion will lie down with the lamb and all carnivores will become vegitarians. Without any superstructure or technology people will have beautiful homes and plenty to eat and nobody will ever get ill or die. Sounds perfectly sane to me!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Here is an issue we have not covered. In a high control religion....... obedience and conformity is required because.........the only way that type of religion can be successful is to eliminate independent thinking and actions........and unfortunately in the JW world there is a stigma about professionally treating mental issues. Studying the WT publications and praying is the recommended course.

Actual Treatment for mental illness is:

• Psychotherapy is the therapeutic treatment of mental illness provided by a trained mental health professional. Psychotherapy explores thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, and seeks to improve an individual’s well-being. Psychotherapy paired with medication is the most effective way to promote recovery. http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/types-mental-health-treatments

There are additional problems as well. The WTBTS is a blend of 19th century crazy religious nonsense like Russell's Pyramid silliness......... combined with Judge Rutherford's autocratic rein and indifference for the welfare of the 'friends'. Add to that Nathan Knorr's factory manger's mind set and Freddy Franz with his End of the World scenario's. Combine all of this with their discouragement of higher education and you have a religion that is not capable of offering help for it's mentally/emotionally challenged followers.

It may not be the case that the JW's have more mentally ill people then the norm. It may simply be that the religion itself is toxic for any disadvantaged individual who is left dealing with two forms of crazy...... their own and the Watchtowers.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

(((snowbird)))

A cyber hug and hoping some of the good vibes from this side of the keyboard reach you.

I'm glad you are now mentally free and posting here.

If memory serves me correctly, you and I are fairly geographically close, within a state or so. We are both Simply Southern are we not? ( Though I am actually a transplant from the north, I was in middle school when arriving here, so I consider myself a southern gal)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit