A year since I have been back

by Lee Marsh 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

A year ago I came back to JWD. The 2 years before that. when covid stated, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was one of the last surgeries done before they closed the surgery departments down due to covid.

In 2021, I went into the hospital alone. No one was allowed to enter the hospital to visit me. I went through the surgery and had a few problems and they kept me for a week before sending me home.

In 2022, they found a small tumor in my upper-right lung. I was terrified. In the days of covid, the last thing I need was just a cold. I certainly did not need covid messing up my lungs. I went into surgery and had my upper right lung and a bit of the middle right removed. Again I had to do this alone. No visitors.

A couple of weeks after I got home I was having problems breathing and rushed to the ER. They did a CT scan to make sure I didn't have a blood clot. No clot. The next morning a doctor asked me what they were going to do about the tumor in my lower left lung.

Say what? Another one. No one knew. Although it had shown up on a previous scan the pathologist failed to put it in the report. So my oncologist, who relied on the report had no idea there was a second tumor. She recommended talking to a surgeon (to have another lobe removed. And talk to an radiation oncologist. So I spoke with both and opted for the radiation. Having another lobe removed would have seriously hampered my breathing.

So back to the hospital for 5 treatments - alone. At least this was out-patient.

I recently got the news that after one year of testing I officially am NED (No Evidence of Disease)!!!

I have been terrified of getting covid. Several people in my building have had it. I have been pretty much in seclusion from my diagnosis throughout all of the last three years. Two weeks after the radiation I wound up with pneumonia. Hadn't thought about the danger of that one.

My breathing may never get back to what it was. But I can go up and down a couple of flights of stairs without too much trouble.

We take so much for granted. I had NO SYMPTOMS for any of this. NONE. They found it through a FIT test. And then a colonoscopy conformed it.

The age of people getting colon cancer is dropping. it isn't just an old person's disease anymore. People in their 40s and even younger are getting colon cancer.

Get tested. If I had not been tested the cancer may not have been found until it was too late to help me.

• AEnEm
    AEnEm

What a story and good reminder. So pleased for you Lee. I remember your name and face from this forum from years ago! I have been secretly visiting since the very beginning.

Stay healthy!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good that you’ve had successful treatment Lady Lee, may your better health continue. 👍

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

So happy your health is on the upswing Lady Lee.

Please take care and do what you must for a 100% recovery and many more happy days to follow for you!!!!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It's been a difficult two years for you. May your health only continue to improve.

• under the radar
    under the radar

So sorry you had to go through all that, especially alone. But I'm very glad the outcome was so good. Despite it all, you were fortunate they caught things when they did. Here's hoping you don't have to go through anything like that again. We're all pulling for you.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I recently got the news that after one year of testing I officially am NED (No Evidence of Disease)!!!

Loved your story Lee marsh. I'm sorry you had to go through so much alone. Know that you are valued here.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Delighted for you, Lady Lee

• JeffT
    JeffT

You dodged more than one bullet with all that. Glad you are still with us.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm delighted to here that you dodged those Lady Lee. May your good luck continue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit