Do you feel that you are really YOU?

by UnshackleTheChains 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• New day
    New day

Great question! I used to feel I was mostly myself when I believed it all, but acting a bit as I couldn't ever fully immerse myself in the bubble. In the last three years l have resigned as an elder, almost stopped participating in meetings and now find a lot of meeting content hard to swallow. Now I have to put on a mask for family reasons but my mind is much freer. But it does feel very unreal now stepping into the hall, a place I used to feel I was at peace in.

The bros don't know how to react. I am not following the script!

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    The hardest bit is seeing relatives, friends and congregants who are besotted with the organisation simply seeming unable to see the hypocrisy and other problems, leaving me feeling like it's ME who has the problem and is the idiot

Thanks to everyone's comments and feedback. I used to find that I had to take a deep breath every time I walked into the KH. Nowadays, I really couldn't give a flying fudge cake what people think. I don't care anymore as to how people view me, though I still do put on a front.

As soon as I leave the KH, it's like my strait jacket is off, particularly when I turn the key in the car and drive off home.

It astonishes me how everyone around me at the KH takes what we are being spoon fed by the GB so seriously, whilst all the controversies rage on in the media. Being at the KH feels like a parallel universe. It's business as usual. Yet during meetings, I sit there thinking, what the? Eh? Surely not! No way! Come on? Really? Nonsense!

I find the meetings for the most part mind numbingly Boring. Most speakers (not all) sound half hearted and lack enthusiasm when giving talks. Talks tend to be very matter of fact.....not really coming from the heart. Yet many in my hall continue to be as described above 'besotted with the Organisation'. Its just all so surreal!

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

When I attend meetings (and right now I'm staying away) I am not me. I never have been me at the hall. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I couldn't be like other brothers and sisters. Talking the truth lingo never came naturally to me so I became a facade and I hated myself for it. I could never, ever be myself at the meetings and I thought I felt that way because I wasn't what Jehovah wanted and it was only a matter of time before he got rid of me.I was always a fish out of water at the meetings (I've been baptised 50 years)

But now through my counseling session I'm learning to be me. Not at the hall. But just in life. I'm enjoying learning to be me without feeling guilty all the time. I've found out that 'me' isn't so bad after all. People (in the world) actually do like me.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I am ME when I go to work. Otherwise, around family and other JWs, I'm 60% genuine. It needs to be so in order to keep peace and keep the family/friends dynamic going. You see, my close circle of family and friends are heavy into WTBTS stuff and I cannot afford financially, emotionally to be put out of the group. Sad, but true.

So many of us inside in my safe boat. However, having been my whole life JW-indoctrinated, I don't think I can exit and then go on to line up with today's opinions that "anything goes" and "as long as you're not hurting anyone else..."

Just can't. So, I've accepted this situation and have resolved to continue it for the duration. It's sooo complicated!

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Accentuating, concentrating in the positive is what helps me keep sanity.

Having seen Reza Aslan's series of 'Believer', fully comprehend that it could all be worse for sure. So, rejoice in the good.

DY

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Do you feel that you are really YOU?

I`m Really This Guy.....(The one in the hat.)

Image result for magician

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

I feel like me 100% of the time, and I try to make sure I act like me too.

When I was a JW (many years ago), I remember having to hide some of who and what I was. That was why I left. I am not happy or healthy or honest when I do that. It's wrong.

However I always felt like me, just someone who had to keep some things more private than others. Not feeling like yourself is something different. It can actually be the sign of a medical condition, known as Depersonalization Disorder or DPD. It's a dissociative disorder that can actually be caused by great stress, such as the kind regarding having to fit in when in a cult.

While people sometimes have to detach and just "go through the motions" for different situations at times (such as times of disaster or emergency), doing this for long stretches of time can lead to this mental disorder. There is only so much of "going through the motions" a person can take. Eventually a person will feel detached from the what they do to such an extent that they begin to question reality itself.

This doesn't sound like you from your post, but it can be a warning sign. No one should put themselves through this. Eventually you have to be you. Otherwise "you" will shut down. Make sure you have more than ways to merely "vent."

While I understand enduring things due to a family situation, remember that forcing yourself for family reasons is very different. One doesn't "force" a family experience. If you have to, then it means you are not really part of that family anymore or that the family may not really be there. There is a big elephant in the room. Elephants don't stay still. They will eventually stomp things and all will end up destroyed.

It sounds horrible, but cults are burning buildings. All of them are. You can try to save who you can from them, but eventually time will run out and you will have to choose whether you are going to survive or burn with those who won't leave. There's no easy out in a cult.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

While I understand enduring things due to a family situation, remember that forcing yourself for family reasons is very different. One doesn't "force" a family experience. If you have to, then it means you are not really part of that family anymore or that the family may not really be there. There is a big elephant in the room. Elephants don't stay still. They will eventually stomp things and all will end up destroyed.

It sounds horrible, but cults are burning buildings. All of them are. You can try to save who you can from them, but eventually time will run out and you will have to choose whether you are going to survive or burn with those who won't leave. There's no easy out in a cult.

David _jay

I know where you are coming from. But I love my family. Thats the thing. I attend for them. I've tried to fade a few times. For me...here and now....it's a no no. It's hard to explain, but I suppose it kind of feels like i'm stuck in a Genie flask. No way out at mo.

I'm trying to work my way out of this high control publishing corporation with minimal colatoral damage! Maybe one day, my wife's eyes will be fully opened and I can open my heart. At the moment, I need to tread carefully. Thanks for your input though, as do agree with your thoughts.

• blondie
    blondie

I think we all have a public self and a private self, and that is not bad...

I get every morning, look in the mirror, and then transform myself.

I think we all do, but that core self, now that is another thing.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

UnshackleTheChains,

I am grateful you realized I was not reducing your situation to something it is not. Family is worthy of the sacrifices you make, and I am sure yours definitely is.

But also remember that familial love works both ways. You have a right to have your family love you for your personal choices. You can make them realize how much they are hurting you and not being truly loving by not supporting you. It works both ways. Tread carefully, yes--and you are to be commended for this because it shows real love and courage on your part--but also remember that its a family. They owe you their familial love just as much.

Let's say if, like me, you learned you were actually Jewish. Since 2001, the governments of Portugal and Spain have begun to offer people citizenship for those whose ancestors were expelled during the Spanish Inquisition. Now millions of folks who thought they were Latino have discovered they are actually Semitic, and many have discovered they have been practicing Jewish customs unknowingly for generations. The nation of Israel estimates there are some 10,000,000 of these Jews out in the world who are just learning of their Jewish ancestry, and that government has begun a process to offer citizenship to all these too.

What if tomorrow you learned this was true of you? What if you wanted to not only learn more about your ancestors but accept citizenship in one of these countries (along with your current one)? What if you wanted to do more and make a formal return to Judaism? Would your family support you? Would you not tell them how much their love and support was necessary for you at this junction in your life and how disappointed you would be if they shunned you? As you learned of family you lost to the Inquisition and read names of relatives you lost in the Holocaust to them, perhaps even have pictures of some as I do, and you showed these to your family, wouldn't you deserve their full support regardless of their current beliefs? Wouldn't you give it you someone in your family who is a JW who suddenly learned this?

Well, you don't have to be a Jew to deserve such support. You can simply choose another religion. Maybe you want to be agnostic. Perhaps you feel more comfortable as an atheist. Is suddenly realizing you are a Jew somehow more important that realizing that you truly don't believe in God anymore and want to be atheist? Of course not! Whatever you are now deserves, no, demands as much love and support from family and friends.

However you do it, again you are brave for going through this for your family. You are the judge of how long you do it or if you decide to do it forever till something gives. But you also have to be true and honest for yourself too. Sometimes you have to point a mirror at someone when they frown at you because they don't realize how ugly a face they are showing you. Sometimes you can turn the tables around and show them what they are offering you to eat, that it is not good. If they can force you to go through the motions at a Kingdom Hall you can demand they go through the motions just as much when you light a menorah at Chanukah or raise a banner in the name of atheism or whatever it is you want to do.

Wives have to love their husbands if they suddenly become Jewish or atheist or whatever, and vice versa. And children can be punished for disrespecting the personal convictions and customs of their parents. It's not your job to only love them. It's their job to love you back too. They have to. If they are going to be in your family, they have no choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit