Research paper on Effects of Shunning

by peacefulpete 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine

So you are saying that basically JWs do more than members of other denominations, is that correct ? As in getting out there and recruiting ?

Jan

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

In comparison to mormons, that have more money. The JW are bigger in bums on seats on a Sunday.

The stats in year books are, at the very least, believable.

Their growth, be it small, is bucking the trend of general decline in religion.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The self identification numbers suggest to me there are millions of miserable people on the outside believing they are failures or unworthy. This enduring control is a primary reason the religion is dangerous.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

peacefulpete on this thread, about a research project, I noted the article by Rosie Luther, as well as others on the topic of leaving JWs/shunning. There has been a tremendous amount published on the topic in the past few years.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5804993693614080/research-project-study-designed-explore-experience-leaving-jehovahs-witnesses

On the topic of the decline of other the churches I found this interesting video and article about the Anglican Church and the United Reformed Church.

https://medium.com/inspire-believe-grow/the-decline-and-possible-extinction-of-the-united-reformed-church-in-the-uk-61f2a9807cd

https://youtu.be/Me_wTLmr3bQ

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The WT is very effective at controlling the minds of others, but where did they learn how to do such? Did they learn it from books? Did they get ideas for it from the Bible? Did they learn it from cults? Did they study of the occult and learn it from such? How did they obtain so much power of influence over others? Did they figure it out on their own? Is some secret group/entity (or powerful force) actually controlling the WT and if so, how long has such been happening?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t think they purposely try to control people, it’s just sort of happened that way.

For example, one of their most powerful means of control is their effective stigmatisation of higher education over many years. This has contributed significantly to a compliant and ‘thriving’ religious community, compared with many other declining religions.

But did they sit down one day and say to themselves, ‘if we ban higher education then they will lack critical thinking skills and they’ll do whatever we say’? I don’t think so. I think they genuinely believe the end is near, that higher education is a waste of time and/or is corrosive of faith because of morality on campus and because of the secular ethos. I think they really believe those things. So to the extent that this apparently results in high level of control, I don’t think they are being Machiavellian about it, it’s just a natural consequence of their genuine attitude to the world and them advocating the same to Watchtower members.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

slimboyfat, their literature frequently tells their readers not to question anything of the WT and its governing body's doctrines and instructions That is an attempt to control the minds of their readers, and is an attempt to prevent people from thinking critically in certain matters. That sort of behavior of the WT is what has disturbed me the most about the WT and its religion. It disturbed me from my early childhood onward, because I value the right to think for myself, to think critically, and to think logically. Being in the religion and reading the WT's literature crippled my ability to think critically about what the WT and others (such as writers of other books, some claims of the media, and some politicians) say.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I guess you are right, they are explicit about demanding that people do what they say. But they do seem to believe they are doing it for the ‘right reasons’, as such. In other words, I don’t think they are using religion as some sort of ‘cover’ for their wish to control people. They genuinely do believe what they teach and therefore believe it is for the best if people do as they say. There may be a few Watchtower leaders who don’t believe it or are entirely cynical power maniacs, but I think most are genuine.

People who object to the level of control the GB exercises who also believe in the Bible would have to grapple with the fact that the GB can point to many good examples in the Bible as the basis for their style of authority. (Moses and Korah, Jesus telling his followers to forsake all else and follow him, Ananias and Sapphira in Acts, Paul in his letters, and so on)

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The WT is very controlling of millions of members lives.

Yes, because we are dealing with a multi-billion dollar tax free conglomerate here. When you have a multi-billion dollar tax free organization, they have to keep that business up. When you have a tax-free organization doing this,,they have to resort to these levels to drum-up more control. They have to,,,,adapt to the times,,reinvent itself and evolve in order to keep up this system raking-in billions of tax-free dollars. That's how I've often lie there in bed thinking about it. They have to evolve with the times to keep that model going.

• cofty
    cofty
    I don’t think they purposely try to control people - SBF

That might be the most naive thing I have ever read.

Every time they write abut themselves in the third person and stress the importance of obedience to 'The Faithful and Discreet Slave' they are deliberately and manipulatively controlling their members.

Can you begin to imagine the level of hubris that is required to talk about yourself in that way?

I have not the slightest doubt that their emotional and mental control, that for many JWs last years after they leave - is 100% intentional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit