Research paper on Effects of Shunning

by peacefulpete 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Jhine I have had a number of people comment to me that the Catholic Church, well at least in my country, is increasing becoming a none Caucasian church.

• the-MadJW
    the-MadJW

They take the biblical teaching of shunning to whole new levels.

It's a Shame to our denomination!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    he-MadJWan hour agoThey take the biblical teaching of shunning to whole new levels.
    It's a Shame to our denomination!

who is "OUR" ?

• the-MadJW
    the-MadJW

Jehovah's Witnesses

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Yours maybe. Certainly not mine

• the-MadJW
    the-MadJW

I bet your religion contains worse.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

pah--i;m atheist--and happy with it.

• jhine
    jhine

Joe is that a dreadful thing ? Didn't Jesus tell his disciples to

" go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit "

Didn't Jesus die for everyone?

If Caucasians don't want to go to church that's their choice

Jan

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

I do think that part of the mind control aspect is the way that for years individual witnesses would write to the HQ and ask questions that they should have made personally. Can I watch this type of movie? Is this music appropriate for Christians? Can I eat this type of food? Should I tip my hat to a member of the opposite sex? etc...

The WTC assumed the role of dictating what was appropriate or not. Think all those convention talks about dress and grooming, which were then reinterpreted by local elders either harsher or milder depending on the type and overall age of the body of elders.

We still know brothers who are in their 70s who upon learning about a new craze in the local community immediately respond with "I'll need to talk to (name of current presiding overseer) about it" instead of having an opinion like normal people do. FFS.

• longgone
    longgone

I don’t know where to start my comments on this article. I appreciate that you, PeacefulPete noted that it may trigger memories and cause pain.

I thought to myself that I’ve been away from the Kingdom Hall physically for six years now and have come so far in recovering that it wouldn’t have any effect on me.

😳 How wrong I was, I couldn’t even finish it, I was just a mess of crying and devastation. It hurt deeply to read and also feel the pain that others have experienced, as I already knew, but here it was all laid out in professional research.

Limited study or not, I believe it is reflection of what countless former members have experienced. It stirred up my own pain of being abandoned, losing a lifetime of very close friendships in an instant.

I have therapist(s) that are extremely helpful, we’ve been working on this for a long, long time. One helps me with adjusting to life outside of the insular life the organization creates and that I grew up in. I recommend therapy to anyone who is really distressed.

Another with the overall effects of disfellowshippings in my very extended family. Also, the detrimental decisions I made because of the religion. I showed a few sectons of the article to her, not only the effect of the shunning but as an example the odd expressions like “blood guilty’ for not preaching constantly. I had to explain that, she looked shocked at the words and separtely seeing even further the depths of control they had over me and all members.

Active or not. 🫤

I often consider posting here about things I’m struggling with daily, because the support over the years I’ve had here, which has been so, so helpful….but then I would have to think about it. Like now.

Still, today I felt I needed to do so.

I remind myself of the benefits that I have everyday because of leaving that despicable organization. I now have relationships with family members who have also left, each of us recovering from the various form and levels of distress it has had on us. We help each other but for the most part we don’t get into it.

The article itself reinforced that I am far from the only one with this experience and more confirmation of what a truly confusing, illogical and controlling cult it is.

It’s so good to be building a new and more peaceful life little by little and day by day. 👍🏼🌸🍀Thanks for listening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit