Research paper on Effects of Shunning

by peacefulpete 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

That faithful slave is the channel through which Jesus is feeding his true followers in this time of the end. It is vital that we recognize the faithful slave. Our spiritual health and our relationship with God depend on this channel.” Watchtower, July 15, 2013 p. 20-21

Which, from the perspective of the author is to say ...

I am the channel through which Jesus is feeding his true followers in this time of the end. It is vital that you recognize ME. Your spiritual health and your relationship with God depend on ME.”

Or...

“We need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. On the contrary, we should cherish our privilege to cooperate with the slave class.” Watchtower, November 15, 2009 p. 14

Again, the author actually means..

“You need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may you never challenge ME. On the contrary, you should cherish your privilege to cooperate with ME.”

This is just two of hundreds or thousands of similar quotes that demonstrate deliberate manipulation and control techniques. It is deliberate and cynical.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

slimboyfat, it is true that the the WT and the JW's governing body can and do point to many examples in the Bible as the basis for their style of authority, but those very examples (at least some of them) in the Bible also disturb me. But, it was because they did point to such biblical passages that I put up with the WT's demands for much of my life, since during that time I still accepted the whole protestant Bible as Jehovah's God word (whether I liked and approved of everything in the Bible or not).

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

cofty, I agree completely what you said about the so-called faithful and discreet slave (the JW governing body). That was first very strongly impressed upon me when I watched a portion of a video at the JW website, in which a governing body member was reading and commenting upon a passage similar to the ones in your most recent post in this topic thread. I was stunned and shocked to see the governing body person having such gall to say such in the third person. I had thought that much of the WT's literature is written by the Writing Committee, instead of directly by the governing body, and thus I didn't view such articles as having as much hubris. But seeing and hearing a governing body member saying such about the governing body (even if he didn't write the article) was shocking to me.

The following sentences of the WT (and ones like them) really offend me. “We need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Regarding them speaking against college: I once had an elder admit to me that ‘college educated brothers are harder to counsel’.

I wasn’t raised in the JW religion so this didn’t affect me. But, I always felt sorry for any JWs who were denied higher education when they were younger by JW parents who were influenced to not send them to college. This, of course, had lifelong detrimental effects to these Witnesses, as we have all heard. The only exceptions were those JWs who got out of the religion at a young enough age to get that education and accomplish something for themselves!

Those who stayed and bucked the trend and DID go to college were certainly shunned or excluded to varying degrees!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

On another thread I reminded readers that Paul spoke of himself as having been fated before birth to be the instrument of God. Narcissism is pretty typical of high level religious leaders. Even among those not having visions or hearing voices. For most the role comes gradually, if after offering advice or opinion people respond with respect and admiration, it becomes a drug for some. The blinding belief that you know best naturally leads to condemning contrary views.

I agree with both those who hesitate to attribute coldly nefarious motives but also agree that the efforts to control thinking are systemic. IMO, the analogy to addiction works on many levels, lots of addicts are also dealers.

• jhine
    jhine

I've read through this thread a few times now and watched the video

Cofty l agree that the WT does absolutely deliberately control people. On this forum l read a post about a book written by a chap ( I'm getting there) about brain washing techniques. I think that it was around 12 specific techniques used by communist authorities have been identified. The WT uses most of them . That can't be a coincidence.

As to other denominations being as active as JWs well in terms of doing face to face preaching like door knocking or carts that's true . Howevet the video gives lots of examples of ways in which Trinitarian churches are pro active in the community. Food and hygiene banks, debt advice , helping homeless people in practical ways. JWs are actively discouraged from charitable work .

There may be less bums on seats but those there WANT to be there . They aren't there because of threats of shunning.

The WT seems to do it's usual trick of cherry picking verses to make the case for shunning and also to back up their " God given authority " . I see no case to be made for shunning or for any one person or group having the authority to rule people's lives and then ruin them if they are not fully obeyed in the Bible .

Jan

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding mind control by the WT please read https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/watchtower-society-and-mind-control since what it is says is very relevant.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Jhine - I agree with what you’re saying. But the point that I’m trying make, which certainly puts me in the minority, is that when doing comparisons with other faiths the JWs have done really quite well. I attend the Catholic Church now. I have to ask myself where are all the Caucasian people, as it’s a congregation mainly made up of Philippinos, and Indians. Even the Catholic Church is losing its local members.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JHINE:

I totally agree.. I remember when I read the book “Crisis of Conscience” that I was immediately struck by what I felt was a similarity to a dictatorship. I remembered the part about people being accused by secret informants.

I also agree that the JW religion provides No real physical charity to anybody! (And free ‘bible’ studies don’t count, as far as I’m concerned). Other religions in Christendom provide the NECESSARY material help such as food pantries, soup kitchens, programs to help youth in the community, etc.

What’s worse is when the JWs study with people they tell them they will be ‘taken care of’. I had this said to me. This is not true. What REALLY happens is that responsible looking people there are cornered to give money since the religion itself has NO programs!.. Meanwhile, college is knocked and they make sure people who worked full time (like myself) were considered ‘not spiritual’.. Thankfully I never listened to this foolish talk and held onto my job until retirement.

• jhine
    jhine

Aren't Indians and Philippinos locals as in they live locally ?

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit