Do you celebrate Christmas?

by LovingLifeNow 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Last year was my first time celebrating Christmas and my best friend made it really special for me, this year that same person has become my girlfriend and I'm looking forward to the holiday even more. Neither of us is religious but we still enjoy all the beautiful decorations and festivities.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This year will mark my 9th Christmas celebrated. However, I like to joke around and remind people that Christmas is actually the Norse holiday of Yule. I call it my "Yule Tree" and instead of a star as a topper of my tree I have put a Thor action figure.

I buy my family and a few close friends presents. I like the work Christmas lunch with the white elephant gift exchange. Christmas day it is enjoyable to watch my kids open their presents.

• stillin
  • Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Just in time for Xmas you can purchase a Caleb bear and Sophia pen.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes I do.

I'm not big on it - I can't be bothered buying a Christmas tree and decorations but I join in with my friends and family.

I similarly join in with New Year celebrations, birthdays and Halloween.

• blondie
    blondie

I do without the religious part. I love decorating my house with winter, snowman and snowflake motifs. We have white lights in our tree all year like Disney.

• LovingLifeNow
    LovingLifeNow

A few good points here,we dont bring religion into it, but rather just have fun with kids and some family and enjoy decorating.

• steve2
    steve2

No I don’t. Simply because I just can’t be bothered with it. Saves me money and the hassal so I can enjoy my day off. I guess old habits die hard.

Very JW-ish! I've often noted that many JWs (and ex-JWs) inherently don't like the idea of celebrating anything - too much trouble, too expensive, too hard buying presents for everyone, etc. That mindset is perfect for the religion because, rather than feel deprived of a celebatory time, the individual feels relief that they can say, "I don't celebrate Christmas".

Even Paul recognized in Romans that some people treat a day as special while others don't. And evidently "back then" that was okay. As for me, break out the streamers and turn on those bright lights and the cheerful music!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LOVINGLIFENOW:

I’ve been out of the JW religion over eighteen years and, yes, I do celebrate Christmas.

But, I was raised Catholic so I had all my holidays and Christmas was especially happy for me. I have wonderful memories of my mother baking, a natural tree with the smell of pine and helping to decorate it with ornaments, tinsel and those bubble lights. Us children also loved the presents and relatives visiting and eating and being happy!

Even though I don’t do all that now, I send out cards and have a few decorations and a tiny tree. I love the stores, the music and everybody’s lights and decorations.

The Witnesses are like Ebeneezer Scrooge and Christmas is ‘bah, humbug’ to them. I’m so glad I’m out of that sterile vacuum of a religion.

Merry Christmas everybody! 🎄

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

The only thing I give the JW's credit for in my life is the freedom from these stupid holidays. No, I do NOT 'celebrate' Christmas or any other holiday. But I now don't feel guilty either enjoying the music, food, or anything else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit