The handling of child abuse allegations

by Landy 78 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Landy
    Landy

There's a lot of criticism surrounding the JW's handling of chiild abuse within their ranks with a lot of it being well deserved. But I'm interested to know how people on here think child abuse allegations should be handled.

There's a few scenarios below, the first couple are easy then it gets a bit more complex. The focus should be on getting justice for the victim and perhaps more importantly safeguarding those children still in the congregation. I will play devil's advocate.

Here goes.

Scenario 1.

Parents of a 15 year old girl approach the elders and tell them that their daughter has alleged that Brother x (who is a serving MS) has inappropriately touched her while they were alone. He denies it.

Scenario 2

Parents of a 15 year old girl approach the elders and tell them that their daughter has alleged that Brother x (who is a serving MS) has inappropriately touched her while they were alone. He denies it. The parents stress that they don't want the poilce involved and that they won't be willing to make an official complaint and that the elders should just 'handle it'.

Scenario 3

A 40 year old women comes forward and says that a serving elder had sex with her when she was 12 and he was 17. She is not willing to go to the police. He is confronted and vehemently denies it.

Scenario 4

A 40 year old women comes forward and says that a serving elder had sex with her when she was 12 and he was 17. She is not willing to go to the police. He is confronted and admits it.

Scenario 5

A brother who is now 50 years old, comes to the elders and says that he had unlawful sex with a 13 year old when he was 35. He is extremely repentent. The 13 year is now an adult, left the JWs and is untraceable.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

The elders are not competent nor are they trained for these delicate issues. Inform the Police of the issues.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I am no expert, but this is what I would have thought:

Scenario 1:

Recommend that the parents report the matter to the Police. If in a mandatory reporting jurisdiction, the elders should separately report it directly to the Police as well.

Separately, the elders should make sure that anyone who is placed in care of kids has the appropriate clearance required in that jurisdiction, including the appropriate no objection from the Police or appropriate authority, just like they do in schools and kindergartens.

Make it clear to the congregation that only those with the relevant clearance are allowed unaccompanied with children.

Scenario 2:

Recommend that the parents report the matter to the Police. If in a mandatory reporting jurisdiction, the elders should separately report it directly to the Police as well. Point out that elders (a)do not have the training to handle the matter, (b) any investigation by the elders may be very stressful to the child, and (c) any investigation by the elders may corrupt the evidence and undermine the ability of the Police to prosecute the matter at a later stage.

Separately, the elders should make sure that anyone who is placed in care of kids has the appropriate clearance required in that jurisdiction, including the appropriate no objection from the Police or appropriate authority, just like they do in schools and kindergartens.

Make it clear to the congregation that only those with the relevant clearance are allowed unaccompanied with children.

Scenario 3:

Recommend to the 40 y.o. that only the Police can handle the matter. The elders can't. If in a mandatory reporting jurisdiction, it is possible that the elders have an obligation to report it directly to the Police as well.

Scenario 4

Recommend to the 40 y.o. that only the Police can handle the matter. If in a mandatory reporting jurisdiction, it is possible that the elders have an obligation to report it directly to the Police as well.

Scenario 5

If in a mandatory reporting jurisdiction, it is possible that the elders have an obligation to report it directly to the Police.

• stillin
    stillin

What makes the police so adequately qualified to sort these things out? Unless there is a real pattern and something that is actually verifiable, even if it's true, sometimes we have to let bygones be bygones. A single isolated he-said-she-said incident is a sad turn of affairs but not worth the publicity that it would bring.

Curb the tide of professional victims.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

There is only one scenario....call the police...then the elders or, call the police and the elders at the same time and they take it from there.

This site has had many topics regarding child abuse...everybody has this or that suggestion.....why isn't the easiest thing to do is call the police...We all know why the elders/org. don't want to involve the police....to keep the org. name clean....not to mention how much they point fingers at other religions....

Why is this so hard to figure out...could be that, our society doesn't look at having sex with a child or touching a child is that bad, after all, how many males can't wait until a female is at least 18. Having sex or touching a child has been around a long time....males have been doing it forever, females too, and now it's starting to get the attention it needs...If more females were exposed more than men, then we would see a difference in the law. There are sick folks who prey on little children...but let's not forget some of these young folks today, my oh my...they are so mature looking....and some of the females today are running men down...so there are so many situations...

Still'''in, you ask what makes police so adequately qualified....they are the police, at least the incident has been reported...and the congregation is put on alert .....even if it is a he said she said.....find out...but I guess keep the org. clean at any cost....

Tor

• schnell
    schnell
    What makes the police so adequately qualified to sort these things out? Unless there is a real pattern and something that is actually verifiable, even if it's true, sometimes we have to let bygones be bygones. A single isolated he-said-she-said incident is a sad turn of affairs but not worth the publicity that it would bring.

You are aware that you are describing the status quo of the organization.

I'll bite. The single isolated he-said-she-said event is a sad turn of affairs that should be turned over to the police. Whatever the publicity, the intent is to prevent corruption and to explicitly put the individual ahead of the organization. At the very least, advise the accuser of the option to do so.

The status quo abhors bad publicity and explicitly puts the organization ahead of the individual.

I don't actually have a great answer to the objection that the accused person can have his or her reputation jeopardized. On a personal basis then, you have to protect yourself and be cognizant of any appearance of impropriety that could be used in an accusation, just like anyone else regardless of position.

I certainly don't want the legitimacy of an accusation to be investigated by representatives of an organization that is against the higher education that would qualify them to do so.

• stillin
    stillin

Tort, I'm not worried about the "organization." Their policies will be their own downfall. I am more concerned about the innocent.

We have all been victimized at some point in our lives. If there is a pathological bully, we will figure out a way to get him back if it goes on too long. Ancient history should be left behind. People change. We have to learn more about things like kindness, mercy and human empathy.

If something like this happened, I am not unsympathetic to the victim, but I just don't get how it remains relevant 30 years later unless there is knowledge that it has continued with other victims.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

I was never a JW but come from an organization where every adult is required to be a Certified Adult Volunteer. We must attend an 8 hour training session annually to review how to IDENTIFY not investigate all forms of child abuse. Our instructions are we do not care if the state law is mandatory reporting if we suspect emotional, physical or sexual abuse - We Report!!!! Second part of the instructions since some of our adult leaders are MALE -- This is drilled over and over into their heads numerous times throughout the day of training. If one of the girls comes to you and says "I am being abused" You need to find a female adult CAV and turn this girl over to her immediately and get lost. No male adult is to be present under any circumstances. Call authorities immediately. The police and the authorities are far more capable of figuring out, they have TRAINED personnel both in the field of investigation and they have TRAINED personnel to deal with VICTIMS!!!!

From what I have read on this forum JWS have NO clue how to deal with VICTIMS of abuse. The only thing they know how to do is to inflict futher abuse on a victim. AND the very LAST person(s) who should be involved are those Elders.

• Landy
    Landy

I was never a JW but come from an organization where every adult is required to be a Certified Adult Volunteer. We must attend an 8 hour training session annually to review how to IDENTIFY not investigate all forms of child abuse. Our instructions are we do not care if the state law is mandatory reporting if we suspect emotional, physical or sexual abuse - We Report!!!! Second part of the instructions since some of our adult leaders are MALE -- This is drilled over and over into their heads numerous times throughout the day of training. If one of the girls comes to you and says "I am being abused" You need to find a female adult CAV and turn this girl over to her immediately and get lost. No male adult is to be present under any circumstances. Call authorities immediately. The police and the authorities are far more capable of figuring out, they have TRAINED personnel both in the field of investigation and they have TRAINED personnel to deal with VICTIMS!!!!

In youth groups and similar it's a lot simpler to deal with. You can put the carers through a CRB check and give them training. That's not practical to do to a whole congregation who's role isn't necessarily to act as care givers to minors, but who might come in to contact with children.
  • Landy
    Landy

Thanks Shepherless for trying to give solutions to the scenarios instead of just spouting rhetoric.

I can't think of anywhere in the UK that does have mandatory reporting, and the police simply won't be interested if the victim is not wanting to press charges.

As above it's not practical to CRB 8 million JWs and it's difficult to say when one member may be alone with a child, especially as abuser will create the situation so that they can be. So what do you do to safeguard other kids in the congregation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit