Flood over everest

by road to nowhere 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Seriously though, Darren Aronofsky made the right call portraying his Noah movie as fantasy, rather than an actual historical epic.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Well it took significant liberties with the record but it was faithful to the basic teachings of God reacting to / judging mankind's inherent sinfulness, they are accountable. Exciting movie .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oh, I agree; in fact, I have it on 3D Blu-ray.

What I meant was its look and feel were more like The Lord of the Rings than The Ten Commandments.

Funny story... I took my kids to see it when it first came out, and a couple months later, one of them was talking about "Grandma's religion" and asking why I didn't think they'd like being in it.

At first, I was all Oh God, where do I start? and How the hell do I explain this to a ten-year-old?

But I thought about it, and after a minute, I replied, "do you remember the Noah movie?"

"Yeah."

"Well, with the exception of the rock giants and Noah's evil uncle sneaking on board the Ark, 'Grandma's religion' requires its members to believe that the events in that movie were actual history."

The look on her face was fucking priceless.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

True Story

Even as a ALL IN ELDER, UBER ELDER in fact, I had to battle this over and over to no avail.

I had a part and an elders wife made the comment about there being NO RAIN till the flood.

So after the meeting I told her nicely that that was very old thinking, and not accurate.

I showed her in Genesis where there were 3 rivers in Eden and asked her, so where does the water come from for rivers. She reluctantly kinda agreed. (I know she never changed her mind).

WORSE

A friend who at the time was a MS, and someone I thought was reasonably smart made the same comment to me.

When I told him, well we dont think that any more, and the 3 rivers thing, he seemed to not get it.

I asked him how do rivers form, where does the water come from, his answer floored me.

"The Ocean I guess"

OMG!!!! I wanted to just explode.

FYI - the WT has said for many decades that the mountains pre flood were much much smaller. They dont say that the flood covered Everest.

They say tons of silly bullshit - we don't need to embellish.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Well of course the movie had a modern humanistic perspective on election and federal headship. Why save a few? Were there no good people outside? Personally if taken literally I would say how come all the fish were not punished lol. Still I like the gritty look in the old biblical stories. i imagine them more like Conan and Mad Max types than saints. Evil was in the land and God did some cleaning without erasing the ancestors of Adam.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I remember an elder giving a talk about the bible's account of the flood can be substantiated by science in that archaeologists found sea shells on the highest parts of the Himalayas surrounding Everest . True but he didn't mention that the sea shells and fossils were feet thick indicating that the ground was once an ocean floor bed.

Take this with a grain of salt as i'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that if there was a massive downpour like that, you would not all of a sudden see sea shells on top of mountains. Sea shells don't swim around in that manner. It would most likely take thousands of years for sea shell populations to make their way that high

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I remember from the metal music days this typical take on a flood divine myth though odinist essentially capturing the message of faith:

https://www.metalkingdom.net/lyrics-song/mithotyn-guided-by-history-53497

Same thing really

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thats correct Redvip , the reason that those sea shells are there along with other fossilized objects is because of tectonic plate shifting that pushed that once ocean floor upwards. The outer tectonic plates colliding is what creates the many mountain ranges that we see today.

But then again you have to be educated upon the earth's geological evolution to know that and most JWS are not well educated, so they accept ignorant nonsense by someone speaking at a Kingdom Hall podium.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Just FWI - one of the 100 things that make the "water canopy" posed by the WT utterly stupid and impossible is this:

Ask who thinks there was one this question. So how much do you think it rained? No no one is gonna say like 30 ft, or 50ft. They are gonna go pretty high. Just say for giggles they say 500ft.

Remind them if that was the case. Atmospheric pressure a at sea level would be like you were living 500ft under the sea. Any thing living on the ground, like all mammals, would have been crushed by that type of pressure. So the nice snake that Eve talked to, could not have existed then. Nor any bears or lions that Adam snuggled with.

Also not one bird could have lived or flown.

Now if they say, like what I have usually heard, "maybe a mile of water" well that makes the argument for a canopy even sillier.

There are many simple irrefutable common sense arguments against the flood without getting to technical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit