Who is B.W. Schulz? Anyone know?

by ILoveTTATT2 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Earnest... how do you know that Bruce is a JW?

How can you still be a JW knowing the true history of the WT???

• fulano
  • vienne
    vienne

Bruce is a long time Witness. Since 1952. He is, however, a careful and honest historian. He retired from teaching this year. His email is on the 'permissions' page of our book. He is elderly and infirm. He "calls a spade a spade" and does not attempt to coverup the warts and pimples of Watch Tower history. As his writing partner, I'd throw a fit if he did. We reject partisanship.

I am not a Witness, though I have relatives who are. Personally, I think our work should stand on its content. It is significantly footnoted so you can reproduce our work. No-one asked about me. I feel slighted. I have a masters degree in education and another in history and a PhD [UniSA] in history. We strive to maintain a high, professional standard in our books.

Oh, and this is my second post. I have yet to say, "Hello." Consider it done.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Hi Vienne,

Sorry, didn't mean to slight you. Thank you for the information. The reason I didn't mention you is that A Separate Identity lists Bruce as the only author.

I thank you for your work, however, and thank you for the input. I am glad Bruce is an honest historian. Can't wait to read his (your?) book!!

• Earnest
    Earnest

ILoveTTATT2 : How can you still be a JW knowing the true history of the WT???

God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.

• vienne
    vienne

Both our names appear on the title page. Amazon does bad stuff to author pages. We're pushing to finish volume 2. Originally, we saw this as slim book similar to our biography of Barbour. (Eventually we'll revise that) We were surprised at the amount of original source material. It grew to 2 volumes, and vol. 2 is about 3/4 done. There will be a volume 3. Assuming old age doesn't kill this project, there will be a third book and maybe a 4th. We have a tentative outline for the next book, which we've given the working title, "On the Cusp of Fame."

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Both our names appear on the title page. Amazon does bad stuff to author pages.

Oops. Didn't see that at all. Yes, I saw only what Amazon said. Looking forward to reading your book! Thank you!
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Mrs. Vienne,

I managed to see a preview of your book, and you say on page 340 that Charles Taze Russell's Uncle was a Mason.

However, Barbara Anderson states that Charles Tays Russell wasn't.

Were you referring to Charles Tays or another uncle of Russell???

Here is what Barbara says:

I requested historical information from the ANCIENT ACCEPTED SCOTTISH RITE OF FREEMASONRY, VALLEY OF PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA, asking if Charles Taze Russell, his father, Joseph Lytel Russell, and his uncle, Charles Tays Russell, were Pennsylvania Freemasons.

This is the answer I received in a letter:

“AFTER A SEARCH OF OUR RECORDS, WE DETERMINED THAT THE THREE RUSSELLS WERE NOT MEMBERS OF OUR ORGANIZATION.”

I never checked back with Ms. Waldman to see whether the other two Russell’s were Pennsylvania Freemasons, but there has never been any evidence they were, so I didn’t bother.

• vienne
    vienne

That's his uncle Thomas Birney. See page three and footnotes

Thomas Birney’s obituary gives us significant insights into the Birney and Russell’s early years.
    Thomas and family lived first in Meadville, Pennsylvania “for a time.” He moved to Pittsburgh at least
    by 1845. The Birneys seem not to have been poor Irish. He entered a partnership with Joseph R.
    Woodwell12 who owned an existing wholesale hardware business. Birney started his own firm, Thomas
    Birney & Co., sometime before 1869. By that same year he was on the board of directors of the
    Guardian Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York.13 He and his family joined Pittsburgh’s
    Second Presbyterian Church in 1845. Thomas was a member of St. John Lodge of Free and Accepted
    Masons. We cannot find a membership for Joseph.14

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Thank you! =)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit