New Book. Intro essay

by Old Goat 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Posted by the authors on their blog http://truthhistory.blogspot.com/

Dr. de Vienne tells me they're down to a final edit of the last chapter. Publication is in a matter of a very few weeks. This is superior research and, in my opinion, easy to read.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thanks for posting that O.G. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

• clarity
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Looks good. Thanks for sharing!

It looks like Marvin Shilmer's blog.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

Thanks for the info! I didn't know about this book until now. It looks good, I'll be looking forward to it

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Give us a shout when it is published please ? thanks,

Phizz.

• blondie
    blondie

Watch Tower History

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Final Draft: Title Page, Copyright Page, Introductory Essays

A Separate Identity ORGANIZATIONAL IDENTITY AMONG READERS OF ZION’S WATCH TOWER 1870-1887 Volume One B. W. SCHULZ AND RACHAEL DE VIENNE

• Listener
    Listener

I wonder if they will be discussing the many law cases that Russell was involved in as well as his finances and various business structures such as the United States Investment Co Ltd. Along with his avoidance of paying his seperated wife maintenance, a lot can be learnt about Russell from these things.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Since this book only covers up to 1887, most of that isn't relevant. As I understand it, most of that discussion is left for the third and last book in this series, their biography of Nelson Barbour being the first. They consider Russell's business ventures in some detail, though not to anything like what I would like to see. Still, in reading the advanced reading copy I found things I did not know, and I've been researching Witness history since the 1950s. The section on Russell's businesses ends with a note that says Miracle Wheat, special beans and a cancer cure will be considered in book three. I presume more detail on his businesses will appear there too.

I did not know that Russell was a partner in a furniture and home decore store. I didn't know the Russells had a music store (short lived) and that they published sheet music. They untangle conflicting statements about Russell's stores. They tell of scrap iron and used equipment businesses. They mention stock market investments. They find no fraud, and my impression is they looked hard for it. However, they are very patient researchers. I expect much more detail in book three, and they suggest as much.

They have a copy of the Russell divorce transcript and quote from it. I'd expect considerable detail in book three, which I understand will take the story up to Russell's death. This is a scholarly work. It's not sensationalist. However, you will find new things, interesting things. By presenting the facts as they can document them, they pop bubbles. They trash some myths and occasionally take other writers to task. If you've read Zydeck's book and liked it, you will find, as I did, that much of it is made up out of thin air.

I appreciated how they handle the story of Russell forming a partnership with his father at age eleven:

"Clayton Woodworth tells us that “at the age of eleven Charles formed a business partnership with his father, himself writing the articles of agreement under which they transacted business.” Woodworth’s claim is the sole source for this; we cannot find the claim in anything Russell wrote. This story has been taken as evidence of his precociousness, and Woodworth saw it as proof of Russell’s special place in God’s “plan.” An Internet writer distorted this, writing: “In his early teens, Charles’ father made him partner of his Pittsburgh haberdashery store. By age twelve, Russell was writing business contracts for customers and given charge of some of his father’s other clothing stores.” None of this is accurate. There is no original source evidence that Russell wrote contracts at twelve or that he was given charge of one of his father’s stores. If Joseph L. Russell owned a store at all in Charles’ eleventh year, he owned only one. ... It is hard to see young Russell’s agreement with his father as evidence of precociousness or of special divine favor. At best this reflects a serious but fairly ordinary youth trying to assume responsibility. Assuming responsibility at eleven was not unusual in that era. Any agreement between Charles Taze and his father would not have been a complex partnership agreement but a list of his agreed upon duties."

They show that Russell senior was partner in only one store. The explode the myth of Russell as founder of the chain store idea. But this is not an attack on Russell. The principal author is an old time witness, someone I worked with at District Conventions back in the day. But, he has no qualms saying something is false.

When the book it finally out, I'll write a full review. Pet theories die in this book. I'm certain it's not intended, but the contrast between some of Russell's earliest associates and the current crop of Watchtower rulers comes through clearly. In my opinion the Governing Body and its minions come off poorly in comparison. You will find Storrs' comments on church authority illuminating.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit