Drink Driving

by Simon 21 Replies latest social humour

• Simon
    Simon

With the Christmas almost upon us I would like to share a personal experience with you about drinking and driving.

As you may know the local police are having a serious go at Drink Drivers this year..

Well, a couple of days ago I was out for an evening with friends and had a small number of drinks before dinner, followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly I still had the sense to know that I may be very slightly over the limit.

That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a taxi home.

Sure enough on the way home there was a police road check, but since it was a taxi they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise as I had never driven a taxi before, I don't know where I got it and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it.

Any ideas?

That's a joke of course... but seriously, if you do go out and drink, take a cab or have a designated driver.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Little known fact that I just found out a few weeks ago. In the British Virgin Islands, drinking and driving is not against the law.

That blew my mind.

• freddo
    freddo

I was in the same predicament as you Simon but I decided to take a bus home in the small hours of the morning. So I broke into the local bus depot and there were dozens of buses I could choose from. I checked them all over but had to walk home in the end because I couldn't find one going to my area of town.

I expect if I broke in again I'd find three in a row all going to my street. Just my luck! I blame Satan. Or Old Blakey.

• Prefect
    Prefect

Freddo

Or Old Blakey.

Your are showing your age. LOL.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You got me!

Great story, I'm gonna share it.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

in the UK those of us of a certain age get a free bus pass. i use mine regularly--even though i have two cars ready to go.

saturday nights i often go out --meet friends--and have a few drinks. excellent regular bus service---very well used by many. and free for me.

but there are still a few selfish idiots who think they can get away with it. best locked up.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Timely advice Simon. The life we save might be our own, not to mention loved ones and/or innocent bystanders. Take a cab!
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Lovely Simon very good hahhaha

Kate xx

• talesin
    talesin

Also, if you have been drinking heavily, do NOT drive the next morning.

My brother-in-law was a heavy drinker, but never drank and drove. He always left the car at home. One Sunday morning, after partying the night before, he went to pick up his kids from a sleepover. He had an accident, a woman died, and he went to jail. He was still buzzed from the night before - it takes time for the alcohol to be processed by your body. He was 'lucky' that he ended up with several years house arrest (first-time offender), BUT he has to live with the guilt for the rest of his life. He is a broken man, and two children lost their mother.

Be careful out there! Have a safe holiday season.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I wasn't going to share this, but if this serves as a lesson for someone, here it goes:

I had a DWI in the last 5 years. In a nutshell:

Was home one night having a nice red wine, when i received a text from friend begging me to meet him at a bar. Drove to the bar where i met him and had a few beers, followed by stumbling on folks i knew which insisted on some shots, followed by a few more beers.

At the end of the night, fully aware that i was over the limit, i made the terrible decision to drive home, after all, i was only 10 minutes away.... right?

Got in my car and got on the road and within 30 seconds there was a fork on the road. I simply could not remember which way i should take. If i had taken right, it would have been a short straight drive home. I took the left. This took me to the center of some town i was not familiar with.

Here i was... 3 am, lost, and fully aware i was drunk behind the wheel. Common sense says... stop, cut your losses and call a cab, right? Not for me, i evidently insisted on f*cking up that night. Instead i kept driving, looking in a panic for the way back to the road i knew. About a mile later, i could see some cars behind me on my mirror but seemed fairly certain it was not a cop car. Then i realized i shouldn't take an exit and crossed over a solid line to the center lane to go straight.

As the blinking lights of a police car began to flicker on my rear view mirror, i knew already i was going to have a very long night... and i did.

Most people don't realize all the repercussions of a DWI:

7 months without a license, followed by 1 year of a breathalyzer installed in my car. My insurance dropped me immediately after this, and the new rates were very high. I couldnt rent a car except for one company which doesn't check driving record. I had to pay 1000/year motor vehicle surcharge for 3 years. I even heard that I can potentially be blocked at the border if i try to visit Canada.

The only positive thing about this, is that I happen to live in a state where a DWI is not a criminal offense, but only a traffic ticket, so my criminal record is still clean.

Please don't make the same mistake folks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit