Worst Fire in California history

by 3rdgen 49 Replies latest jw friends

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

In terms of destruction. 52,000 people are evacuated. Started Thurs.(yesterday) morning with bone-dry humidity and 40+MPH winds. in only one day it took out nearly the whole town of Paradise Ca.(Ironic) both business and residential. Even part of the hospital burned as they were trying to get everyone out while people were having surgery, giving birth etc. To date 6,713 homes/structures lost. At least 3 people burned alive in their car trying to evacuate.

It is called the "Camp Fire" Still completely out of control. Don't know if the Kingdumb Haul was destroyed. I sure hope so!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

So very sad my thoughts are with the people of California in this trying time.

We who live in Victoria Australia know all to well the destructive force and heat of a bush-fire out of control.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I am only 30 miles south of the inferno. There is little air here. The town of Chico CA (93,000+) is at the foot of the mountain that holds the former town of Paradise. The fire has already forced evacuation of a southeastern portion of the city limits. This is rural and mostly grass on that part. Fire fighters have burned swaths of the grass to create firebreaks. Chico should be ok. Paradise is considered a loss. It's very much like Tahoe in its pine tree, mountainous village feel. Its going to be hideous for quite a while. People called Paradise the "Bone yard" because it was mostly elderly retirees. Great place to buy a used car. So sad. I helped on a quick-build there in the 90's. I'm certain its crispy now.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Smiddy: Thanks, Hubby and I were evacuated late July during the Carr fire in Redding, Ca. so I know the panic that comes from an announcement that you have 10 minutes to gather what you can and get out.

Thankfully, our house didn't burn.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Wasanelder, Wow! The smoke is horrible. It was bad in redding at least 6 weeks. Don't forget your mask when you go outside.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

What I find is noteworthy is that almost immediately the Red Cross and the Salvation Army were making shelters available, distributing hot food and other necessary supplies to evacuees, and collecting donations for more.

Not a peep about JWs organizing ANYTHING.( no surprise there) They didn't do anything in Redding either.

We are still friends with a young JW family who lost their home in Paradise. It was a "Wordly" group who started a Go-Fund-Me page for them.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

This has been a horrible year for Cal fires. I’ve literally seen 100 ft flames in the hills from my house 3 times. It is terrifying because the winds can change in an instant and nothing can stop the flames.

We don’t get the hurricanes or floods, but damn we know how to burn.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Girl next door, I feel you. We saw 100- foot flames 3,000 feet from our house in the neighborhood where my best friend lives. Her house was saved but 6 of her neighbors lost theirs.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I was at the Walmart looking for a sweatshirt in Yuba City and a young woman, probably 21 to 25 was loading a shopping cart with sweatshirts, towels etc. I asked what all that was for? She said for the evacuees up north. I asked if she was with a church or something. Her answer? "No". She did mention that her family would probably pitch in towards all the goods. I thought, what they really need is the good news of God's kingdom! Not... Imagine that, a young person being a good human being and not due to any desire to please God. Worldly people, go figure.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Was: My point EXACTLY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit