I Feel Bad For The Police

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• iXav
    iXav

Why feel bad for the police. This has been going on for decades. The police is the victim of a system that they themselves helped to create. The system in a way is set up for the police to fail.

They train them to shoot to kill and when they do, well, they go to jail.

There is also an alarming rate of police officer who do not seem to understand the basics of the law they are supposed to enforce. They interact with citizens from a point of view that you must "obey and comply" even if it is not within the law for the person to comply as requested (sounds like the GB of the JWs)

Some police offices behave like Congregation elders with inferiority complex and they can't compute that not everyone who doesn't obey/comply is challenging their authority. Sometimes people don't comply because they don't understand what they have done wrong or why you are stopping them. Some police officers do a bad job of explaining the whys and hows. That said, you have the lunatics who have a death wish.

If you want to fix the problem with policing, you need to take a step back and look at the structure. How many times have you heard a police chief talk about "only a few bad apples" but they do nothing to actively remove the bad apple (Police Union??) until it becomes politically or socially too hot.

Why are they allowed to investigate themselves?

Why does the camera stop working when the police is at fault and they refuse to release the footage to the public. A young girl was recently shot and the police promptly release the footage to show that the victim was at fault. That should be the standard approach to any type of incident that result in shoot at citizens. However, that is not often what happens.

Police are getting a bad rap now because of social media and smartphones which means more people are aware of when things go wrong.

• minimus
    minimus

No one should think if they signed up to be a cop that it would be EXPECTED that you would be treated with outright contempt and abuse. No one signs up for that! That’s like someone desiring to get married and enjoy a normal married like. Then the spouse gets abused regularly. Well....I don’t feel bad for them. If they don’t like it, just quit and find something else to do. That reasoning is crazy, in my opinion.

• iXav
    iXav
    No one should think if they signed up to be a cop that it would be EXPECTED that you would be treated with outright contempt and abuse

LOL, go and tell that to people in Customer Services

I don’t feel bad for them. If they don’t like it, just quit and find something else to do. That reasoning is crazy, in my opinion.

In an ideal world that is not acceptable. Unfortunately, every job has its downside and policing is not a job that everyone can handle. Those in the military don't have to deal with the same issue as police but all they get is "thanks for your service" now go and deal with your PTSD.

This is the same thing people say to celebrities. If you can't handle the public scrutiny, quit and get another job. It is not unique to the police force

• minimus
    minimus

Interesting to see the ambivalence here. Lol it seems like a lot of people don’t like cops.

• iXav
    iXav

Most people don't care much for Cops in the same way they don't care for Politicians.

• Simon
    Simon
    Most people don't care much for Cops in the same way they don't care for Politicians

I think most people usually strongly support the police.

There is a small, vocal, and very violent minority who are given disproportionate coverage in the media but I don't think they have widespread support in reality.

Whatever people may claim they want on Twitter, they do NOT really want to have the police removed from where they live. It's always some other community that they want it for, not their own.

I expect most black people want more police in their neighbourhoods to protect them from the violent criminals that prey on them.

• iXav
    iXav
    There is a small, vocal, and very violent minority who are given disproportionate coverage in the media but I don't think they have widespread support in reality.

That is the real problem.

Most people don't care about the police in the way you don't care what happens to your turd after you flush the toilet. You just want the process to work as designed. You only "strongly care" when the turd starts to float upwards.

• minimus
    minimus

As an institution, I think people expect law and order. They want to be able to, expect to be able to call for help. I think people who are good citizens do care about keeping law and order.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Why feel bad for the police. This has been going on for decades. The police is the victim of a system that they themselves helped to create. The system in a way is set up for the police to fail.

Why feel bad? That is like saying "Why have compassion for my fellow humans?" Police officers are aliens from Mars? Androids? They're human.

They train them to shoot to kill and when they do, well, they go to jail.

Police are trained to use deadly force to affect an arrest of serious felony offenses as outlined by the law. Firearms are deadly force because, not matter how you shoot someone, the risk of death or serious bodily injury is responsibly expect to happen.

Sometimes people don't comply because they don't understand what they have done wrong or why you are stopping them. Some police officers do a bad job of explaining the whys and hows.

In my 20+ years experience I have found that most people do understand. They just want to argue because they do not want to be held accountable. Even when explaining things in plain English they respond with "That's not right!" In other words, "I don't like that because I don't want to be held accountable."

If you want to fix the problem with policing, you need to take a step back and look at the structure. How many times have you heard a police chief talk about "only a few bad apples" but they do nothing to actively remove the bad apple (Police Union??) until it becomes politically or socially too hot.

If you want to fix the problem get to the root - systemic race based poverty and penalizing drug addiction. If generations of of people of a minority community lack education and employment opportunity while being surround by people who are living in excess, crime will happen. People suffering from addiction often resort to crime to feed their addiction. Instead of helping these people or government criminalizes this behavior and just incarcerates them. In addition, Police Unions get a bad rap for "protecting bad apples". The whole reason Police Unions started was because cops were used as pawns in elected officials personal vendettas. Local elected officials decided what laws to enforce and who was exempt from being held accountable. Being an honorable cop put one at risk for being fired for not being dirty. Just look at law enforcement agencies where cops are at-will employees and see the abuse they have to endure.

Why are they allowed to investigate themselves?

Law enforcement agencies are required to investigate their own officers for violations of agency policy and citizen complaints. Other agencies conduct investigations for crimes committed by police officers to make sure there is no conflict of interest.

Why does the camera stop working when the police is at fault and they refuse to release the footage to the public. A young girl was recently shot and the police promptly release the footage to show that the victim was at fault. That should be the standard approach to any type of incident that result in shoot at citizens. However, that is not often what happens.

Police are getting a bad rap now because of social media and smartphones which means more people are aware of when things go wrong.

Body cams and in-car video are tech - they do fail. My buddy's body cam failed. He was shot with a rifle. The bullet hit his body cam and ricocheted into his throat, killing him. They are also evidence. Publishing evidence prior to a criminal investigation being completed tends to undermine the investigation.

Social media and 24 hour cable news media is responsible for the bad rap police get as well as leftist, post modern ideology. There are over 500,000 law enforcement officers in America. Online news sources, social media, and 24 hour cable news inundate us with stories. One cop is all cops because no one is an individual anymore. We are all the group we get thrown into. Narratives are created to wrestle for control between groups. If the news were required to report on the activities of every cop in America everyday we would have perspective. Blood sells. Fear sells. Emotions are riled up to make sure reason and rationality go out the door.

• minimus
    minimus

Truth, EXCELLENT POST!

It seems like some people think dehumanizing cops is fine.👎👎

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit