What WT Children's Book Were You Studied With As A Child?

by Sea Breeze 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

George....you are a card šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ nuts and cocks

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    Sea Breeze observed, "Wow Nathan.... Let God Be True was your Children's study book! Don't know much about that book."

Well... it was the book my mother was "studying," and since there was no alternative, she had me studying it too. Van Amburgh's "The Way To Paradise" (which I issued as a replica reprint) had been driven into obscurity by the dictatorial Judge and was virtually unknown by the late 1950s.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Thanks Nathan.... the reprint on Amazon looks interesting. My mom was born in '33 and was baptized in 1940. I wonder if this would have been the Children's book she would have studied at that time?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Nathan Natas, myself and no doubt countless other children studied the LGBT book in the 1940/50's. There was an interesting QFR asking why the WT Society did not produce a book for children. The reply in part, is shown below.

George

Questions From Readers June 15, 1952

ā— Why does not the Watchtower Society publish simplified material for parents to use in teaching their children Bible truths?ā€”A question based upon frequent inquiries by readers.

It is also true that when the Law covenant ended and Christianity was established provision was made for a new priesthood to minister to the needs of obedient peoples, including an organized ā€œfaithful and discreet slaveā€ class today that is commissioned to ā€œgive them their food at the proper timeā€, spiritual food here being meant. (Matt. 24:45-47; Heb. 3:1; 1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 20:6, NW) But from this we may not argue that the ā€œfaithful and discreet slaveā€ class must publish special books for children. The priests in Israel did not write special scrolls for the children to study. Godā€™s Law did not provide for special tutoring of children groups separated from adults. Young and old were to assemble together for instruction. (Deut. 31:10-13) It is the same today. The ā€œfaithful and discreet slaveā€ serves the spiritual food and arranges for congregational meetings of various kinds to make it available to all, young and old together. Then just as the parents in Israel had to fix these things in their minds so they could later impress them upon their children, parents today must simplify and clarify the truth for their children. Neither the priestly instruction in Israel nor the ā€œdiscreet slaveā€™sā€ provision for the theocratic organization today was or is for children exclusively.

None of the sixty-six books of the Bible were written specially for children. From infancy Timothy was taught by his grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice, not from some childā€™s study book, but from the Holy Scriptures. (2 Tim. 1:5; 3:15) The typical theocracy in Israel provided no simplified study material for children. Neither was such provision made in the days of Jesus and the apostles. None need be made now. Adapting the material to the childā€™s mental capacities is the parentā€™s assignment from God. It is good for the parent. It will make the parent a diligent student himself, for oneā€™s knowledge must be thorough in order to explain clearly and simply to others.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

It is a bit ironic that a WT study book can be abbreviated as LGBT. Ain't it? When I see LGBT I think 'lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender', since that is the common meaning of LGBT today.

Speaking of sexuality, why do so many ads on this site about the morally conservative JW religion show photographs of scantily clad highly alluring sexy young women? It is very distracting (at least for me).

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The Questions From Readers June 15, 1952 is interesting since just six years later the WT released the book called From Paradise Lost To Paradise Regained. Interestingly the "To The Reader" section of that book does not describe the book as a book primarily for children (though to me it is such a book), but rather as a book for those who know nothing about the Bible, even for ones who have never seen a Bible. It says regarding such ones the following.

"They do not know what God himself said and did. That is why this book has to be very simple and plain when it tells you about these people of long ago and about the good things that God has done and has promised.

The simple language of this book is not because you are not a full-grown man or woman or do not have a mind old enough to understand hard things. But now you have something new to learn; ... So you must get to know these things little by little."

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding the "Let God Be True" book of 1946 and its revision of 1952, they can both be accessed online from http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/later.html .

Regarding the edition of the "Let God Be True" book from 1946, I noticed that it said the name Jehovah ("by itself") was NOT in the Christian Greek Scriptures - and NOT in the Greek Septuagint. Yes it says that. Notice what chapter II says on page 23 (as transcribed at http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/letgodbetrue/godbetrue2.html ).

"The writers of the Greek Christian Scriptures used that Septuagint Version and they quoted its Greek text which omitted the literal name of Almighty God; which partly explains why the name does not occur by itself in the Christian Greek Scriptures."

By the way, when Walter Martin's book called The KINGDOM Of The CULTS quotes from WT literature it appears to do so almost only from ones copyright prior to the year 1954. The first edition of Walter's book was copyright in 1965 (three years before the Truth book was released). Many of Walter's quotes are from the WT's "The Truth Shall Make You Free" and "Let God Be True" books. In the "Limited paperback edition--February 1996" I noticed only one quote from the Truth book.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The 1952 revision of the "Let God Be True" book corrected the 1946 edition in regards to saying that some copies of the Septuagint did have the Hebrew consonants of the divine name. That book also said that the Christian NT writers wrote the name in their books of the NT.

Regarding the Walter Martin's quotes of WT literature, when quoting from the NWT in many cases he might have been quoting from the 1961 revision or a later revision.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I hate to tell you, but the "scantily clad alluring women" ads are likely based on your own browsing history.

I tend to get ads about real estate and candles. (Who knew there were so many candlestick makers in the 21st century?) But real estate is a topic I often search, and, damn, when you buy one order of candles through the mail, they NEVER forget!

I started with the orange Paradise book when I was a kid, then transferred to the Great Teacher book later.

As far as kids' literature is concerned, they were not very exciting, and neither were the ones that came later. At the time I really enjoyed pop-up books where you'd turn the page and suddenly the illustrations were standing up in 3D in front of you.

Imagine the fun if the snake had popped up to tell you to eat the fruit! Or the walls of Jericho popped up and you could make them fall down as you turned the page!

Missed opportunities, WT! Tsk tsk tsk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit