Keep the meeting going! (even if somebody's dying)

by TimeBandit 80 Replies latest jw friends

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Gayle! OMG you knew them! I'm so sorry you had to find out about Hennie's demise like this...Yes, they were good people.

Thanks friends. Sometimes I wonder why this wasn't the thing that woke me up and got me started on my way out of the cult. I got married four days after Hennie passed away. Maybe the distraction of getting married diverted my attention from thinking about it much. I'd been thinking bout it a lot lately. Thanks for relating your own experiences. It seems that the show must indeed go on at all cost in the cult.

TB-

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

Wow, that's so cold ... the story of Hennie and everyone else's. Cold and heartless.

Not interrupting the meeting was also stupid. First, how could anyone concentrate with all that drama going on? And second, it was a really poor "witness" for the EMTs. I doubt they were impressed by the "show of faith". Instead, they very likely thought those people in that KH were uncaring creeps.

• flipper
    flipper

Hey TIME BANDIT- My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your dear friend back in 2004. This WT organization is SO heartless- it's leaders should be brought up on charges of inhumane crimes against mankind.

I had a very similar experience like yours. I was 24 years old and was on the stage at a Circuit assembly sitting getting ready like the other " regular pioneers " getting ready to go up to the mike and give my part. An older sister in her mid 80's went right up before me and gave her experience . As she sat down next to me she slumped back in her seat and slouched closing her eyes and putting her head on my shoulder ! She had a massive heart attack right there on the stage in front of 2,000 people in the audience. I quickly motioned to another " brother " my age sitting a few seats from me to help me carry her off the stage ( no easy task as she was about 5 ' 8 inches and 160 to 170 pounds ) and we layed her down back behind the stage on her coat as the other young brother tried to give her mouth to mouth . A JW registered nurse finally after 5 minutes rushed back behind the stage curtain and tried to get her heart going - but it was too late she was brain dead by the time her heart got resuscitated - too much loss of oxygen. In a week or so the non-JW family took her off life support and she passed away.

I ask myself the same question you ask yourself- WHY didn't I see through the veneer of the WT organization when that happened ? The elder who was giving the talk just kept everybody up on stage and we all still had to do our " parts " . I felt horrible for years that this " elder " didn't stop the talk then and there and say, " It's almost lunch time, let's just close the meeting with a song and prayer. " THAT would have been the appropriate thing to do. But, oh no, the " show " must go on. They did mention later as they broke for lunch that Sister Older one was taken to the hospital- but nothing else was said.

My theory on why JW's are always so calloused about people dying at meetings is because they are SO mind controlled to think that the WT information is SO much more important than even human life because they are taught " oh well, that person will be back in the resurrection " so they look at it as no big loss. Death is an " unreality " to many JW's because they think that they'll be " resurrected " - but in reality it's illusion. And then it causes JW's to be really insensitive and outright dismissive to natural human emotions of sadness and mourning due to the indoctrination of the WT Society. They don't mourn as normal people in the real world do because their brain neurotransmitters have been twisted and turned off to empathy, caring, and compassion. All due to the indoctrination. Very sad. They have no ability to feel TRUE empathy for themselves or others when someone close dies. Because they are told death is only temporary- not permanent - which in my opinion is a lie.

Time Bandit- I'm with you buddy, once again sorry for the loss of your friend, and the loss of my friend too. Take care, peace & love, Mr. Flipper

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

The show must go on, sad. I remember a brother who was conducting the WT study had a seizure, so he was carried to the back while paramedics were called, someone stepped up to take his place and picked up from the paragraph he left off at, can't waste Jah's precious time!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I would figure that a person giving a talk when that would, right there and then, have called on the congregation to pray for the person having the stroke instead of pretending that nothing had happened.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    VI: I would figure that a person giving a talk when that would, right there and then, have called on the congregation to pray for the person having the stroke instead of pretending that nothing had happened

Yeah..but I remember the general consensus in the congregation that I attended was that praying for the sick was almost like "faith healing" and it was only those demon infested fake Christians who did that

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've heard of this happening. Since Watchtower teaches that attending all meetings and assemblies is essentially a prerequisite for everlasting life (as is monthly "field service"), the meeting becomes more important than life itself when the reality is they are a waste of living.

Not as dramatic, I've seen an older CO feel faint in the middle of a Thursday night talk and have the PO take over for him from the outline. I've seen another older CO feel faint, almost fall, but he decided to give the rest of his talk sitting.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I remember a sister who had a stroke in our congregation, they cleared the hall right there and then. Brother's outside instructed people to go as most seamed lost an unable to understand that the congregation meeting could not go on.

I also remember a brother who fell back, but in his case, they brought him behind and the meeting went on.

Thanks for your story TimeBandit

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Timebandit you lost a friend. I'm so sorry. What a beautiful lady. At the end she had clarity of thought. I've heard of this before. I hope you are alright, thanks for sharing this story.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

The sister Flipper mentions was very close to my family. She was wonderful woman and had a great unbelieving husband. How do I know all this, this woman's husband and my dad dropped their wives at the meeting and take me for a drive early 50s. My children grew up thinking she was another Aunt.

I was also at that assembly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit