And this isn't a cult? Wife put on name tag for zoom assembly

by goingthruthemotions 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Is there anything creepy or wrong about wearing your team's Jersey when watching a game on TV at home? Is there anything creepy wrong with employees wearing uniforms while in a video conference call?

@Jofi_Wofo ...

I agree. It gives people some sense of self, that they are part of the group. It's a great way to get that warm feeling that you are part of a club, company, religion, whatever. Remember, for a lot of people this is their only real contact with others since everyone else is a part of the "world." They need it. They look forward to it and then later can feel a sense of satisfaction.

It is more of a self-help thing than anything else and then they can mentally masturbate on the loving provisions.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

My wife and I get a kick out of looking at all the instagram pictures of JWs from around the world "at" the convention...with their badges on. Many are making it even more fun by delivering danishes, and frozen OJ to their friends. We saw a few of these pics...actually a funny idea. Those were the days back in the 80s when it WAS the TRUTH (tm) lol, muff-n-egg, danish, frozen OJ.

• sir82
    sir82

Devil's advocate here.

There has been a $#!+ - ton of pressure, anxiety, concern, worry, and just general weirdness going on for about 5 months now.

Maybe putting on the lapel card allows her to feel a little more "normal" for a bit, even though (obviously) no one at all, besides you, is going to see it. Embracing the familiar can be a coping mechanism. She remembers feeling good wearing her card at past assemblies, wearing it now helps her stay connected to "the way things were".

I think people are starting to figure out that things won't return to "normal" for years, probably many years.

Before we even get back to 50% normal we're all going to have to figure out some sort of coping mechanism.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think a lot of the members are really disappointed that they cannot meet in convention this year. After all, as we all remember, the fun of it is not tbe programme, it is the occasion. It is meeting up with old friends,travelling to a new location ...something to remember.

O k , some try and compensate with Instagram and putting on a badge...so what?

If it makes them feel good, let them be.

• New day
    New day

When our coordinator suggested that he had badges we could wear for the zoom convention, I thought at first that he had lost his marbles. Reading some of the very tolerant posts on this thread got me thinking that even if I don’t want to do it, others might. Whatever floats your boat!

• New day
    New day

I am in the same situation as wannabefree. My wife has also lost her spiritual head. She doesn’t even go to zoom meetings for other reasons (anxiety) but the man she married who went on to serve as an elder doesn’t really believe any more and that’s a bit of a tough one for her.

• careful
    careful

Road to nowhere:

Maybe a necktie keeps the holy spirit from escaping

Very funny! So how do the sisters keep it from getting away?

• sir82
    sir82
    Maybe a necktie keeps the holy spirit from escaping
    Very funny! So how do the sisters keep it from getting away?

That's what the doily / napkin / head covering is for!

• tottenkopf
    tottenkopf

control from a distance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit