What really should be the role of Women in the congregations?

by Old Navy 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

The presumably "Biblical" practice of limiting the way Women participate in congregational matters of the WTBorg Cult Inc. (as well as certain other sects of Christendom) may be a gross mis-interpretation of what Paul meant. I'm inclined to agree completely with this account of what Paul really meant.

Thoughts anyone? Aren't Women more deserving of greater participation and respect?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

You did ask for "thoughts." See my posts on this thread.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well since Phoebe in the Bible is described as a Diakonos which is translated as deacon or ministerial servant watchtower has no leg to stand on, really, and they know it. Paul admonishes the church to recieve her " as befits the saints".

Their obsession with what a woman may "touch"in the KM borders on fetishism - why they cannot carry a microphone or work the sound equipment reminds of the Maori superstition of " tupu " or taboo as it's called in English.

Perhaps they think we might be menstruating LOL! !

In fact the scriptures were Paul is particularly scathing of women are the very ones academics don't believe he wrote such as Timothy. Besides, he is the one that describes a cousin of his, Junia, as an "apostle", and fellow worker in the Lord. The name has never been known in antiquity as anything but female....though some still insist it's male which doesn't make sense to me. The Catholic Church translates her name as Julia. Her further commends 5 or 6 other women, including Pricilla,whom he puts before her husband, as serving himself or the church and doing vital work.

And that's just a 2000 year old book written in a time of extreme sexism. The watchtower is happy to have women do all the labour of recruiting whilst humiliating them where ever they can, IMHO.

• waton
    waton

Decorating the religion with their beauty, attracting male converts by their eagerness to mate , because of the dearth of "MS at 23 brothers", providing the offspring that now makes up the bulk of baptism candidates , knock some sense into their husbands, the hormone - driven younger woman, comply silently with ! Cor 14, 34---, I Tim 2: 11 ---,

Having the privilege,yes, monopoly, of perpetuating the most inteligent life in the universe we know, what more could you want? having men on knees in front of you, what more do you want?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Bobcat As I pointed out above, there are no women in the book of Jonah. yet, Jesus places the 'queen of the south' as someone who is "raised up" (not "rises up") in the judgment with "this generation" and condemns it. Some may disagree with me, but I think I found the queen's counterpart in the book of Jonah. It has to be seen from the point of view of 1st century Jews towards women. (Jonah 3:6-9) See here for a 1st century view of women.

Christianity "raised up" women who accepted it, who also then became a witness to the faithless Jews who rejected it. (I'll leave it to the reader to decide if WTism 'raises up' women.)

Bobcat

Bobcat Is this what you mean? Very interesting.

And no, I don't think WT raises women up!

• waton
    waton
    And no, I don't think WT raises women up!

Diogensister: wt has certainly raised up women's voices by providing them with worldwide amplification, which you would find in very few traditional worship services. : allowing them to teach: "we all must remember. that .." let us all not forget. that ..."

what happened to your barrel bsw? very enticing attire, when you anticipate the barrel to drop. !!

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Diogenesister:

In fact the scriptures were Paul is particularly scathing of women are the very ones academics don't believe he wrote such...

And they think correctly since Paul was quoting a letter from Chloe:

Quote from Article:

Such is the case in 1 Corinthians 14:34, 35, which, if written today, would have been set apart in quotation marks, for Paul here was quoting directly from Chloe’s letter (1 Corinthians 1:11; 5:1; 7:1). In other words, these verses are not to be taken as Paul’s instruction to the church, but as a teaching that someone else was setting forth.

In truth, Paul was showing that the teachings he quoted regarding Women were incorrect. Paul was not advocating that Women should be silenced or treated as they were in Pharisaic Law.

How can the WTBorg Cult Inc. have gotten it so wrong? How could "God's chosen channel" adopt Pharisaic Law regarding Women and call it "righteous?"

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Bobcat,

Very interesting thoughts regarding the Sign of Jonah.

Since the Pharisees believed that a man wasn't dead until three days had elapsed; and that we know it would be very difficult for a man to remain alive in the belly of a fish (or whale), could it be that Jonah was actually dead for those three days and was made alive again when he was expelled onto the beach?

Jesus also let his good friend Lazarus go for three days (perhaps to show the Pharisees that he was really dead) before going to him to bring him back to life. Nobody could deny that Lazarus had died and yet he was miraculously brought back to life. The strongest form of proof that even the Pharisees could not reject.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Bobcat,

The link you provided regarding "Women in Ancient Israel" is poignant. So as a matter of Truth, the WTBorg Cult Inc. is an extension of Pharisaic Law (Rules of Men.)

You make your argument very convincingly!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses ,GB , cherry pick what scriptures they want to manipulate their followers on and they have done that so effectively these past 100 years .

However the internet effectively shows what a vital role women had in first Century Christianity and their leadership roles they played

The Bible has many examples of leadership roles Women played in worship in both the Old /Hebrew scriptures and the New Testament /Christian Greek Scriptures that JW`s like to downplay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit