What really should be the role of Women in the congregations?

by Old Navy 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

That explanation on 1Cor.14 sounds contrived. If Paul was quoting an unnamed opponent why does he forget to refute them? If the bible is supposed to be a guide for Christians it could not possibly be more misleading on this point.

Maybe Paul was more enlightened than others of his time and place but by our standards he was a misogynist. Compare his words to Timothy...

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve." - 1Tim.2:11-13

The instruction to Timothy to keep women out of teaching and leadership is unambiguous.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well Old Navy after six hours only five people have posted on this thread and I think three of them are women. I doubt very much if this male- dominated forum cares about the role of women in JWs.

I found your link interesting, I had forgotten about Philip's four daughters who were prophetesses in Acts. I vaguely remember the WTS saying something about the gifts of prophecy, speaking in tongues etc that they had in the first century have now passed away so we don't have men or women with gifts of prophecy now. I think that's the limp argument they used to treat women as second class citizens.

As Diogenesister pointed out how can Paul's 'I do not permit a woman to speak' be applied to holding a microphone. For that matter how can it be applied to being a literature servant?

• cofty
    cofty

Women have it easy in the Watchtower organisation.

Try being a young married man with a family who is expected to care for all his family responsibilities as well as everything a normal publisher does and prepare two or three meeting parts every week, conduct the Watchtower study on a Sunday, attend never-ending contentious elder's meetings, visit the elderly and sick and be at the beck-and-call of everybody who expects you to sort out their latest family drama or petty argument with another publisher.

There are no "privileges" just endless demands and pressure. If you think not being allowed to carry a microphone or run the magazine counter is male oppression you don't get it.

Edited to add - the women who are oppressed in the WT are the wives of over-worked elders. They pay the price for other people's expectations too.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    the women who are oppressed in the WT are the wives of over-worked elders. They pay the price for other people's expectations too.

I know I was one of them. The difference is I was treated with no respect at all. No dick, no deference.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I think that Old Navy is hinting that there should be an improved status for women in JW congregations.

The best thing for women is the same as for men; get as far away as possible from crackpot, mind controlling religions with out-dated gender roles and get a sound secular education. At least then you can then base your life on factual things not Bible mumbo jumbo.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

married women play a huge role in the congregation---in keeping their husbands toeing the line. if more women quit the cult--their husbands would soon follow suit. wives know they are sitting on a gold mine.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

HAH!!! "No dick, no deference!"

If that ain't the dyin' truth.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Hi Old Navy and Diogenesister,

If my summation of the sign of Jonah has any merit, "the queen of the South" in the book of Jonah would correspond to the domestic animals in Jonah that "repent" along with the "men of Nineveh."

As the link on the view of women in the first century shows, women in Judea had little more status than domesticated animals. Jesus gave them much more status than Judaism ever did. And, like the queen of Sheba, many of the women who became disciples of Jesus gave much material support.

They were "raised up" by Christianity. Admittedly, modern women may not appreciate how much of a change in status women enjoyed with becoming a disciple of Jesus. (Mt 11:28-30; Incidentally, Constable's Notes - here - makes an interesting comment on the connection between Mt 11:28 and Jer 31:25 where it links Mt 11:28 with the New Covenant. Click on "Constable's Notes on the right pane and scroll down to where it discusses Mt 11:28. The WT denies most of its members any part in the New Covenant. And thus, one would expect that JW women do not get some of the benefit of that covenant.)

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Half Banana:

The best thing for women is the same as for men; get as far away as possible from crackpot, mind controlling religions with out-dated gender roles and get a sound secular education. At least then you can then base your life on factual things not Bible mumbo jumbo.

Well said! I agree fully. There is indeed a great deal of "Bible mumbo jumbo" in those Cults/Sects of Christendom (WTBorg Cult Inc. foremost) who lack Love and who employ Deception as they enforce the Rules of Men.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In reflective view of how ancient Hebrew woman were not even to speak inside the Temple, one might say JWS woman have it pretty good.

Jehovah was always a misogynist anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit