Why did you leave the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Vanderhoven7 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I wanted to believe that they were telling the truth, which is why I avoided any exJW or anti-JW info until I came to the realization that I didn't believe in god. But by the time that happened, I was well into a very long and gradual fade.

So I don't know what specifically would be the teaching that made me start to distance myself. I do recall that some of the statements bugged me, in that the implication was often that loyalty and obedience to the organization was more important than being correct. If you disagreed with an interpretation, you had to accept the organization's explanation or you could be df'ed for apostasy. If, later, the organization changed their interpretation to mirror yours, you could not be reinstated. Being right didn't matter. Being obedient did.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I fucking hate that.

IMO, the moment you put maintaining your authority ahead of actually getting things right, you no longer deserve your authority.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

When I initially left at 19 it was that I married a "worldly person " and started doing drugs and we were able to run away for about a year. That was my dramatic escape.

I attempted to go back few times and it got thwarted (thank you Jesus!)

I started reading the Bible and I saw for myself what was really going on. I despised the control, the fear the elders created in me, the deception I discovered and once I knew I could be free of them and serve God, I went for it! Woo hoo for freedom to be accepted by God without the Jehovahs Witnesses!! Jesus is enough!

• Riley
    Riley

I begin to realize the entire religion was eschatology based nonsense which basically voided the new testament for anyone but the Governing Body.

Once I understood the new testament is the story of Jew to Gentile or body of Christ, Not earthly hopers and heavenly hopers, it was all over for me.

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

• Biahi
    Biahi

My name says it…Born In, Always Hated It. I wanted to live a normal life.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ive probably explained why before...

mom got religion when i was about 10. There followed a time in my life where i was taken to meetings--and out of school assembly. I got baptised at 14 because other kids in the cong were--and my dad decided to get dipped at the same assembly. So i did too as not to be left out.

i couldnt wait to leave school--at 15, and started work. Heard Ron Drage ( DO ) banging on about pioneering--so i thought that would be cool. Tried it for a few weeks--nope--hated that too.

By about 17 i wanted a girlfriend--and met one at yet another assembly. Her parents were ultra zealots--circuit shining lights--and i was suddenly the new kid on the block. Moved to their cong--went pioneering again--19 now. was made a servant--all good stuff to polish my inflated ego. Started doing public talks--home and away. I was treated like a rock star. But all this was to please others--parents--girlfriend--big circle of "friends" all over the circuit.

We married when i was 20---in order to have sex. Both pioneering.

Then my life went all wrong--in their eyes. I knew i didnt love my wife--in fact--didnt even like her. Hated pioneering--wanted a proper full time job--a career.

Forwards to my early/ mid 20s--1975 looming!!--and my wife was pregnant. In line with Watchtower teaching--i thought long and hard about blood transfusions--what if my wife needed one--or what about the child ?

Then it hit me hard--like a blinding light--what was i doing here--i had no interest in god--or his stupid religion. I was only living a lie--and that was the end for me.

• titch
    titch

With me, it was when I came to the full, complete realization, that I, as a human being, have no spiritual hunger, no spiritual cravings---that needed to be satiated or satisfied, by any religious belief system or structure. That's why I never turned to ANY religion, after I faded out. Best Regards. Titch.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

How about simple Apathy.

It feels like they are pushing us to get through the Great Tribulation and Armageddon to where we just don't want to even live there. What's the point when we just don't care anymore?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TITCH:

While I may not have left the JW religion for those reasons, in the years following I came to the same conclusions you did.

I may have expressed a curiosity about the bible, but that would never move me to ever get involved with a religion again! That’s over.

While I would never knock anybody else who wants to join a church for social reasons, there would be ‘issues’ because I’m single. Like the Witnesses, they are looking for money and women to do favors!! I knew a very kind, gullible woman who got involved with one of those newer Christian religions. She was befriended by someone who ended up being a squatter in her house. She’s lucky she got rid of her.

The country has very many needy locals plus many immigrants.. Many join churches and not just because they are ‘spiritual’.. They are seeking help and assistance - not only from the institutions themselves.. but they latch on to other parishioners!

Even though I am not gullible like my friend, I have no desire to be around any individuals ‘looking for something’. So, in addition to ‘having no spiritual cravings’, I don’t need a repeat performance of negative things I observed in the JW religion! Nope. 👎

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit