Why did you leave the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Vanderhoven7 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I've never been a Witness so I never left. But here is someone who did. Graeme Hammond writes:

For some years I’d had a growing irritation and disillusionment with the religion: I was getting tired of the pompousness, the arrogance and the control, I felt increasingly choked by their restrictions and I was drained by their demands on my time. I was frustrated by their blinkered vision and sick of everyone being treated as a child. The meetings and conventions were tedious and repetitive and the level of judgmentalism and gossip was sickening. We were all being watched.

I was already missing meetings and making a pretence of field service. Even when I met people at their doors, I had no desire to try to persuade them to join because I felt it was unfair to entice them into such a constricted life that I hated.

In the end it was “Crisis of Conscience”, the tell-all book by former Governing Body member Ray Franz about his life in — and exit from — the Witnesses, that made me realise I could just walk away. After just two or three chapters I became starkly aware that the religion was in so many ways fraudulent, with no more claim to being “God’s organisation” than any other religion.

As each chapter unfolded, it became painfully obvious that I had been defrauded and manipulated for the entire time I had spent in the religion. Franz’s book showed plainly that it was a totally man-made, man-run organisation seized with an oversized sense of self-importance and a mean streak of vindictiveness.

Once I read that book — and followed it up with books by Jim Penton, Robert Crompton, Tony Wills and others — the more I learned about the religion I’d given so much of my life to. There was no Armageddon, no “faithful slave”, no mathematical formulation of the “last days”, no hotline to God. And no reason for me to ever set foot again inside a Kingdom Hall.

I never regretted leaving: walking away from it made me realise that I was reclaiming my life. Yet in a sense I did “look back”. The sense of anger and humiliation about the deception and control is not something you can easily dismiss. It burned me up for a long time, but today those emotions are a distant past.

I was a cult member, but I escaped. And I survived.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Mark Jones writes

I was a 100% devoted Jehovah’s Witness. So much so that I had read literally every Watchtower book and magazine I ever heard of. I even began to work my way through old Watchtower and Awake! magazines. I got as far as the stuff printed in 1956 before I left entirely. There is no one reason, but actually a cumilation of reasons that just piled up to make it impossible to stay in the religion:

• Elders interfering and policing your life. Religion is supposed to be one’s relationship to God. Not people invading your privacy and checking up on you and encouraging members to snitch on eachother. I had elders visits for things that wernt even in the bible like questioning a Watchtower doctrine, growing a beard and even leaving a job I didn't like. If i didn't tell the elders the reasons for anything I did they’d get suspicious and visit my home for “a chat”.

• The lack of any real love. Considering that I belonged to a worldwide family all unified in the same belief, I had no friends. The congregations are full of social cliques and you’re not allowed to have friends who arnt Jehovah’s Witnesses. For the JW’s reading this who insist that there are not social cliques - it’s very likely that you’re in one and that’s why you dont see it. You’d be hard pressed to find any elder that imitate Christ, the brothers that do dont get appointed as elders for some reason. Any love you may receive is totally conditional on the basis that you’re a fellow Jehovah’s Witness. Should you stop attending meetings or leave the religion for any reason you’d find yourself actually shunned by these people - family included.

• It’s impossible to leave the with your reputation in tact. This was something that bothered me for years. Why were Jehovah’s Witness leaders so afraid of ex-members? Even ex-members who were kind, happy, successful and had bore no ill feelings against the Watchtower society? They’re so afraid of Jehovah’s Witnesses talking to ex-members, why? If you have “the truth” what’s to be afraid of? Surely anything a defector or a liar has to say can easily be refuted with truth should it not? The only way to leave is to commit some sort of “sin” and get disfellowshipped, or inform them that you’re no longer a Jehovah’s Witness. Both cases result in the complete shunning of the person who leaves. This includes your family. Mothers shun their children, children shun their parents, brothers shun their sisters. And then the Watchtower society has the audacity to claim that the person who left is the one who broke up the family!

• Information withheld from members. We all knew that the elders get letters and information that us regular members dont get to see. But it wasn't until 2 years before I left that I learned that the elders have their own secret book that everyone else arnt allowed to read. It’s called Shepherd The Flock Of God, (if you google it you’ll find a PDF online). In this book it gives many reasons for which someone can be disfellowshipped which most people are not aware of. It tells elders NOT to tell a person that they can appeal twice a disfellowshipping decision. It tells elders that if someone is inactive and turns up to a judicial committee then they can take them turning up as them acknowledging the authority of the Watchtower society and you can disfellowship them. This would result in that persons JW family ten shunning them even though they haven't identified as a JW for many years. Also, the Watchtower magazines say that a person is only disfellowshipped for an unrepentant attitude, but the elders guidebook says that even if they are repentant that have to be repentant enough to convince the elders in the judicial committee. And on at least one occasion I sat in on a judicial committee where one elder said “we can see you’re repentant, but we must disfellowship you to set an example to others”.
    • The religion is simply not true. There was a book published by a former Jehovah’s Witness Governing Body member called Crisis Of Conscience (there’s a PDF online if you look for it, and it’s on amazon). Throughout the book he reveals - with evidence - things that went on in the organization since it’s inception and the scandals that were covered up. Some things I was aware of as a JW but only knew half of the story, the other half of the story is quite shocking and revealing. After reading that book and seeing the evidence and checking it with Watchtower’s own publications there’s no way I could stay a Jehovah’s Witness and call myself an honest man.

When an honest man is proven wrong, he either stops being wrong or stops being honest. - Anon.

How do I feel about the Jehovah’s Witnesses? I love them. I genuinely wish no harm or ill toward any of them. It’s the Watchtower society that I take issue with. Jehovah’s Witnesses dont know that they’re being manipulated, kept in the dark, used and lied to every day by their leaders. The very fact that they’re not allowed to talk to ex-members or read anything that criticizes the Watchtower society shows that the Watchtower society knows it’s manipulating it’s members.

It’s my hope that more people will evaluate and investigate their own religion and go where the evidence takes them. Facts about JW.org, the Watchtower, Jehovah's Witnesses and the Truth is an excellent place to start.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VANDERHOVEN7:

You were never a Witness? You could have fooled me. Just because people reply to a post doesn’t mean they read all the posts that person ever made.

I agree with most of the points of the person you quoted. In my case, I hated the intrusiveness and lack of boundaries people had. If you were single they imagined they could say anything or ask any question. I hated the snitch culture. I hated the exploitive nature of it (although they got nowhere with me since I was criticized over my job). There’s more..

Over time the negatives got to be too much and even though I considered leaving, I figured I would put things on the back burner in hopes things would improve. (Ha ha).

Then came the 1995 Generation teaching and I knew it was Over. I planned my ‘Fade’. Because I was already in the workforce and not a born-in, it was pretty easy.. I was already in ‘reality’ my whole life.. I had friends and connections outside. Aside from a few kind JWs, the rest were no loss to me. To them, I was probably a hologram on the wall they just didn’t see anymore.

I’m just glad the whole thing was finally over. No loss that I wasn’t popular. I am grateful I followed my instincts.👍🏻

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

The GB pushing poison and blaming it on Jehovah... "the question should be what does Jehovah Know?" That was Toto moving the curtain, and then you really see the frauds behind the curtain. You begin to understand why there were somethings that never made sense to start with even though you participated in group think and glossed it over.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Because I was all about Jesus and the JWs thought I was wrong for this.

The final straw was because, as an elder(tm), I saw the corrupt business side of it all. No love. No Jesus. Just callous following of rules for the financial benefit of the Governing Body(tm) (Pee be upon them).

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

The lack of any real love.

This was an obvious reason, especially after my parents who sacrificed for and and slaved for WT were kicked to the curb in their old age. Ridiculed and ignored, and then blamed for not doing and giving enough or more.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No single individual thing initially, just a quiet creeping feeling that something was off.

Eventually, though, came the gobsmacking realization that evolution was true, and that the WTS could never budge on it.

Other things, too, but that’s probably the most significant one.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    v for vidiot - No single individual thing initially

That's probably a lot of our stories, too.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I can`t even remember why I lost faith in the org.,JW religion , it just became too many things that just didn`t add up.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    smiddy -
    too many things that just didn`t add up
    • For me it was like one of those rubber band balls they make in the office. One day, it was like Alexander the Great cutting the Gordium knot. The whole ball just flew apart in all directions.

I went to a Baptist Church, put 2 quid in the coffers and whispered, 'Bollox to you, Governing Body!'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit