Gun Nuts...

by silentbuddha 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I have a question: Is there a standard definition of what makes one a "gun nut"?

precisely why i declined to address the OP

• James Jack
    James Jack

4 of them, for protection

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

I lived in Florida which is where I acquired the majority of my collection. After moving to North Carolina I began hunting a lot more so I acquired more rifles and collectibles. I like things that make loud noise and I have a lot of space and a lot of wild game as well as predatory animals that could feed on my livestock so I use most of them now in one capacity or another.

I do not have a single individual in my circle of friends who thinks background checks or preventing felons from owning guns is a good idea in any way shape or form. However, they all feel they are gun nuts in the sense that they love collecting and utilizing them in one fashion or another. We live in an open-carry county that is extremely rural and most folks carry "snake guns" and shotguns or rifles in their vehicles. Guns are as stated by others considered tools here and it isn't going to change. Some people are fanatics for collecting music, cars, or ceramic turtles. I would consider gun nuts the same. Generally, very touchy folks and young college kids consider people who call themselves gun nuts to be irresponsible gun owners.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

_Morpheus no worries, the question was open to anyone who felt they could discuss the topic and didn't feel so concerned about semantics.

Thanks for letting everyone know why you didn't bless us with a response though.

4 of them, for protection - James Jack

Handguns or long guns James Jack.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I wouldn't say I am a gun nut, but I like my gun's. I have my dad's WWII M1 carbine, + 2 more, one is new and uses 9mm shell's, and is a lot cheaper to shoot, sadly it's clips are standard Beretta clips, and ruin the classic look of the gun. I have two M1 Garanda's, one is WWII issue The other is a Korean war sniper rifle. I also have a WWII 1911 45.

Plus a couple 22's, and a 410 shot gun!

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Looks like another school shooting. This one in Florida.

I have a large collection of guns btw.

Nail guns.

• oppostate
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

When I was as young as five years old I was into hunting and trapping my mind would ruminate for hours on how to build a good trap to catch birds and other animals it must be a part of my DNA and natural instincts and guns well they had me thinking all the time about them from about 10 to 13 till my sexual instincts took control. By the time I was 18 I had several high powered rifles and was a very good marksman when it came to aiming a gun, bow, or slingshot. Then At 19 I got the truth and sold all my weapons it was a big turning point to me. I'm now 64 and have a moderate interest in guns, I think I'm still a very good shot and have I think good point and shoot reflexes, back when I was 16 I sometimes would draw on a bird fire and nail it.

Today I'm moderately interested in guns and haven't picked up one in over a decade. I think I'm following the pattern of my dad who when through the same process : Interest in younger years but rapidly declining with age.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

The best part about guns is how they make liberals flip out.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I grew up around firearms.

There were very practical reasons why this was so. On the family farm, pest control was (and stilll is ) a major issue. Also, during the 1950s, my father worked for a time as a professional hunter (I still have his old skinning knife).

Later on, after moving to the city, I took up small-bore shooting as a hobby.

Over the last two years, though, my housing situation has made firearm ownership exceedingly difficult. Two years ago, I disposeded of all my rifles. While my housing situation is about to change, I probably will not now renew my gun licence, as my eye sight has deteriorated badly, (typical for those of us over 60!)

As to keeping a firearm for protection, I have grave doubts.

The only two people I know who have been shot were also licensed to carry a 9 mm automatic, and both knew how to use it. That did not, though, prevent them from getting shot! (Thankfully, neither received a fatal wound - although one out of the two came within a millimetre or two of being left paraplegic).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit