WTB&TS And The Lawyers They Employ.

by smiddy3 22 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I have been thinking about the Legal Departments that look after the WTS interests around the world.I can`t believe these Legal Eagles offer their services on a voluntary basis like the R&F do.And I don`t believe their services would come cheap.

As an organization the size of JW.Org and its offshoots of Companys and interests around the world ,the cost of keeping them gainfully employed must amount to a considerable sum of money.

Especially the law Suits against them with child abuse court cases that arise on a regular basis ,and the Government Inquiry`s into the JW religion that is happening in different countries now.

All paid for by the voluntary contributions that come from the R&F for the worldwide preaching work .

Contributions to pay for the WT organization`s Legal Department to defend themselves in court ?

Did Jesus and the Apostles pay lawyers to defend them in a court of Law with funds donated by their supporters ?

• waton
    waton

s3: even the despised craft of legal experts is known to take fee-free cases, when it suits them in suits. One might get the name in the news, and accolades, even front page of a national magazine as man of the year. oreven be convinced to be doing the "Lord's Work" so.

Yeah it is tough, better to have smithy, 'smithy & smithy' on retainer , or pro bono on your side.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There are some attorneys who are JW's. The couple that I know donate their services to WTS. One was a convert and he/she even semi-retired from their law firm and worked full time at Bethel for several years. The other was a paralegal and his/her employer put them through law school and he/she works pro bono for WTS with the estates of local JW's wanting to gift $$ to WTS.

The high profile cases -- I suspect WTS hired the high profile (worldly) attorneys for some of these as there is too much liability at risk just beyond the case at hand.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

If jehober really cared (lol) about the watchtower (lol lol) he would see to it that they prevailed in court without a high paid lawyer, or any lawyer for that matter. Another outstanding example of jehober not caring!

1,000 or so jw's dead from Covid-19! Another outstanding example of jehober not caring!

just saying!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Agreed we know reading the awake magazine is the equivalent of a college education so any bethelite could represent the wt org. And jehovahs holy spirit would grant them what to say and prevail in a court of law! 😂😂😂

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I thought the brownstones were for the elite; lawyers, doctors etc.

They need lawyers for child abuse, privacy, real estate, tax dodges. I sure would not want one of their lawyers help me plan my estate; nothing in the will for them. Any assets go to my undereducated kids.

• millie210
    millie210

Wasnt there an "all call" in a letter from headquarters about 10 years ago asking for certain skill sets at Bethel?

Seems like paralegals and lawyers were on the list. Puzzling when you think about how the flock are only supposed to achieve a technical school education.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

From what I understand, the Org actually has a "worldy" firm on retainer.

I can't remember what they're called, but I do seem to recall one rep was quoted...

"We like our Watchtower clients... they pay their bills on time, and are always in trouble" (paraphrasing, but not much).

Seriously.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

The law firm on retainer is

"Dewey, cheetum and Howe".

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

Ben Dover and Schmyle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit